“New but not good enough”

The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto
Ranked #5 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 18, 2013

A Ritz Carlton brand comes with expectations . This new hotel did not meet mine.
We stayed two days for a wedding, which carried a fantastic group rate of $250 per night, but an extra night would cost $600. I am fine with $400 but it's overpriced at $600.
First of all, the hotel had very visible , and several of them, security staff in the lobby . It did not convey an atmosphere of relaxation. Elevators were slow during my entire stay. Shower quality and water pressure was not at 5 star level. Toiletries were rather plain.
One hour before check in, at 3pm, I had phoned ahead and requested 4 red wine glasses be delivered to our room , as other hotel guests and us were going to open a very nice bottle of red wine in our room. What we found was 4 white wine glasses instead. As mentioned earlier, we expected more attentive service than that.
A disappointment when you are talking about Ritz Carlton. Hopefully, Four Seasons is better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights recently with my kids. A very nice location with stellar views of the CN Tower. Quietly luxurious decor, which I appreciate. Nicely sized rooms. I have not been to Toronto in over 20 years so I can compare to other comparable rooms. Very large bathroom with Tv in mirror feature, which kids really enjoyed. They loved the luxe vibe of the entire property. Only hiccups was waiting for several minutes for the front desk to acknowledge me to check in and then being placed next to a room that was under construction. I complained and after a little negotiation we got a free lunch at Deq (nice ambiance, food, slow but friendly service). Breakfast at Toca was included in our rate and sumptuous.

Room Tip: We were on the south side of the 12th floor. You do get some noise from concerts at the center/stad...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank denany
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We arrived early in the morning after a long flight from Vancouver, and we're greeted by name, warmly welcomed. Room was inviting, smelled wonderful, and the bed was super comfy, perfect pillows ( something I'm quite fussy about). The coffee machine also made tea, so that added to my comfort. liked the shower gel, bathrobes and shampoo.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sunnyboy_11
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week during our relocation transfer to Toronto from Montreal and it was an impeccable experience.

Rooms are very spacious with great CN Tower views. The atrium is very impressive as are the restaurants. The Deq is even now one of our various outdoor spots... Great food, cocktails and wine! Tosca is also a great more formal restaurant.

Great renovation job the Ritz!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband surprised me with a move from another hotel for our last two nights in town after his conference finished. We did have a longer than expected wait to check in and were given a free drink to compensate. Room was spotless, comfortable and beautiful and a delivery of champagne and a cheese plate while I was settling in insured that my hubby has my heart. Bar service was great and we thought our food in the restaurant was fabulous. We had a terrace, which was small but still lovely for morning coffee. Sadly, I did not have time to try the spa. The location is awesome. Just loved it-exactly what I expect when we stay at any Ritz-Carlton.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went as a girls day getaway to the spa on a Monday, thank gosh it was an early Mid-week as the spa is not a large space and if it ges busy, you can see the quarters would get cramped in there. I've gone to some of the finest spas in Ontario and I would not give this spa a top rating. I was disappointed with the space as it was SMALL and did not have a variety of complimentary fruits/snacks, they did have many teas, no coffee but that was about it and lots of red apples, for a hotel to be a 5+ star rating and the $$$$ that you are paying the expectations should be a little higher, the service of the staff was terrific though. We like to stay for the day at the spa but because it did not have a circuit routine and was smaller than the other top rated spas, we left after 2 hours with treatment included. :(
What really irked us was they charge you automatically 18% tip on your bill, the front desk did point it out that it was optional to pay 18% and you can change the amount but they should not be doing that automatically and leave it up to the guests to decide what type of tip to provide, if it was very busy at the front desk and you were rushing to leave, you may say yes to the 18% tip and may not realize the amount until you sit down at home and really look at your bill.

The Clarins products were great and the staff was friendly.

Room Tip: If you do, please book the spa early in the week if you can, Monday-Wednesday.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel in a good location this is pretty much it, other than that it's at the very best a 4 *. On arrival they gave us no tourist information what so ever but were very eager to charge my credit card $ 200 dollars per room in case we purchased anything in the bar or restaurant. Even though this was done every time we drank or ate the card was charged, and then they added another $489.00 which they claimed was added just because we had nearly spent the earlier $400.00. Basically it's a scam as it takes 15 days to return this charge to your card. Also if you have a rental car they will charge you $50.00 per day, so beware. The coffee machine is a disaster, and works when it sees fit. We only had one robe in our room and when we requested another one it was delivered and then removed in the evening. This may be a good standard hotel in Toronto but if you have stayed at other Ritz Carltons you will notice the standard is inferior. Breakfast is OK but again not great and limited in the buffet selection.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family