The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
Delta Hotels Toronto(Toronto)
1,741 results
All reviewsclub levelcorner suitetoca restaurantcn towerbathroom mirrorheated floorslake viewamazing hotelfour seasonslake ontarioturn down serviceliving roomentertainment districtvalet parkingrogers centresparc
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 30, 2011

To celebrate another candle on my cake I decided to spend the night at The Ritz Carlton with my Sweetie. I booked the best room available…a One Bedroom Corner Suite with Lakeview…and we headed downtown to check in. Arriving outside, there were two valets attending another car. Despite seeing us pull in…neither one came over to take our luggage/car for valet parking. No one was in the other car and for some reason both men were fiddling with it rather than one coming to help us. Finally one came and took the keys and we headed inside. That was to be a pre-cursor to the whole experience…very friendly people that are just as bit slow on the service side.

Check In found the two front desk people attending others so a staff member guided us over to the Concierge desk where we were promptly checked in. I asked for a late check out and received one no problem. She wished me a happy birthday…nice touch…and I asked for a champagne bucket filled with ice to be sent up to the room.

Our room was on the 14th floor…there are only 200+ rooms total…and it was very nicely decorated and laid out. You enter into a hall with a small bathroom on the right and then a living area with 42” LCD TV…small bar area…mini fridge with pop/juice…glasses…liquor bottles…and snacks. A desk with phone and a couch and a floor to ceiling window completes the area. Walking along a hall you have a spacious bathroom on the right with Jacuzzi tub…separate shower…double sinks and a TV imbedded in the mirror. This was a big plus with my Sweetie but unfortunately ours didn’t work. (More on that later.) Continuing down the hall you find the bedroom with a King bed…nice linens…another desk and phone and 42” TV and another floor to ceiling window. We had a Lakeview room but next time I wouldn’t pay the extra $50 as the hotel is so far from the actual lake that it’s really not worth it. Plus all the ugly condos basically block all but a smidgeon of the view so why bother?

Since the bathroom TV didn’t work we called the Front Desk and no one answered. It took repeated attempts over the course of 10-15 minutes before either the Front Desk or Concierge would pick up. In a hotel with only 200 rooms…that was lacking a bit. The technician arrived and checked things out…did a few adjustments and said it just needed to load the channels then it would work. Meantime, we were still waiting for our champagne bucket. Again…such a small hotel should be a bit quicker with their service. We wanted to leave and do some shopping in Yorkville but had to wait for these delays. The TV…after loading the channels…still didn’t work so we called down and they offered us another room. Sooooo…pack up our bags and move to the 12th floor after asking for the champagne bucket to be rerouted to our new room. Same features just a lower floor and different corner view but at least everything worked. When the bucket came it was a small ice bucket like we already had in the room, not the champagne bucket requested. The waiter apologized and went to get another. By this time we had to leave to get some shopping in so off we went. Upon arriving back the champagne was on ice…there was a small plate of dried fruit and cheese…a box of 3 truffles and a birthday card…very nice indeed. Unfortunately when I went to make myself a drink I noticed the glass I had brought with me was gone. Now this is a plain, plastic tumbler that I usually bring because A) it’s plastic and won’t break if I have a moment of indiscretion and B) it’s larger than the glasses most hotels provide so you can mix a proper drink with ice etc. in it. I called down to tell the Front Desk it was missing…picked up by the maid no doubt. My point wasn’t to recover the glass…which had no value…but to inform the hotel that the maid shouldn’t be removing other people’s property from the room…especially when we just checked in. If we had checked out and left the glass behind then fine…remove it…but to go into a newly arrived guest’s room and remove a glass that obviously didn’t belong to the hotel was wrong. Anyway…they were very apologetic and actually found the glass and returned it to us. The Concierge called up and said for the broken TV/moving rooms/missing glass problems they wanted to send up some beer(???) I said I don’t drink beer but a bottle of white wine would be nice. This was sent up with a card apologizing for the mishaps.

We ordered Room Service and the sandwich was good and arrived in about 45 minutes. Room Service has various menus…breakfast…late night etc. and is 24 hours but with a limited selection available after 11pm. There are dvd players for both TVs and pay movies available too.

Overall the room was beautiful and the hotel staff all very friendly and accommodating. Service is a touch off…a little slow and not quite perfectly polished yet…but the staff makes up for it with a genuine desire to please and really…you can’t ask for much more than that. We’ll be back at the Ritz-Carlton some day soon.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Summerfunboy
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I spent one night at the hotel which had only been open for two weeks. Everything from check in to check out was perfect. The staff was professional without being stuffy and never failed to exceed my expectations. My room was beautifully furnished and spacious. The marble bathroom floor was heated and there is an amazing television built into the mirror. I highly reccommend this property.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SPR006
Reviewed March 28, 2011

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying here this past weekend and loved every minute! We stayed in a club level room with access to the club lounge. WOW is the only word to describe the service, food and hospitality shown to us there. A huge THANK YOU to Scott, Hanut and Maria who were so accommodating to us the whole weekend, we did not want to leave!!

The hotel itself is beautiful, very Canadian I thought from the decorations to the mostly local amenities, food, wine....Well done on all levels! We didn't really eat at the restaurants (why would you when the food was complimentary and delicious!! in the club lounge) but did hang out in TOCA bar Friday night. Service and friendliness of the staff were both top notch. And the maple syrup bacon bar snacks?!?!?! AMAZING!!

Looking forward to enjoying many more visits to this hotel. Job well done!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShannonTurpin
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Canadian hospitality at it's best! Thank you for making our trip to visit the U of T so wonderful! Even if my son does not go to the University here-we will come back. Service was impeccable, food in the Club Lounge was very good (especially the endless candy jars), room was clean, modern and comfotable and the pool was fun for the boys. Kimberly at the reception desk made my 9 year old's day when Chocolate covered bacon was found in our room after a long day of touring! Thank you so much again! He will never forget this trip. He also wants to come to the U of T.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank educatedtravels
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I stayed at the one month old Ritz-Carlton in Toronto for one night and had high expectations given the newness of the property and that it was a Ritz-Carlton. I came away thinking that the Hazelton may still be the best 5 star choice in the city.
The positives :
1. It is absolutely spotless and still has that new hotel smell.
2. The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable with really nice marble bathroms. Coolest item is the TV in the bathroom mirror.
3. Mostly the staff were very friendly and tried hard to please.
4. The gym/fitness centre was exceptionally well equipped and had a nice looking if somewhat small indoor pool.

The less positive things.
1. Lack of wow factor in the rooms. There's nothing wrong with them but just a little utilitarian for my taste and not overly large at about 450 sq. ft.

2. The public areas are equally lacking in wow factor.

3. I was booked under the AmEx Platinum card Fine Hotels programme, despite the fact that the hotel was pretty empty I did not get the room upgrade that I was entitled to under the programme and when I asked for the upgrade the clerk who was checking me in told me the my city view deluxe was an upgrade when actually it is the lowest level room in the hotel. There was availability in every room and suite category according the website.

4. 3 small quibbles : the door of my room did not close properly. The towel basket in the gym was overflowing with used towels even though there were no guests in the gym at 7am. it can't have been cleaned at least since the previous evening given the low usage of the facility. Also they charge $10 per day for internet, if Motel 6 can throw it in when they charge $30 per night can't the Ritz-Carlton do the same at $450 per night?

Overall this new Ritz-Carlton is well appointed, well located, spotless and comfortable and a decent choice for travellers on an expense account. But if you want great rooms in a 5 Star hotel in Toronto I would recommend the Hazelton over the Ritz-Carlton.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business