“Wonderful hotel, just not for our family with 12 yr old son”

Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square
Ranked #5 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Atherton, California
“Wonderful hotel, just not for our family with 12 yr old son”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is a gorgeous hotel. Furthermore, the service is wonderful, and once we tried to book in and discovered that it's totally not for us, the gentlemen at the front desk not only helped us find another hotel (showing me the web page on their monitor), but released us fully from our prepaid reservation.

From the name of the hotel and the TripAdvisor reviews we pictured some sort of modernized version of a classic Grande Dame hotel. I think it was the French name! However, we discovered that the hotel is a sleek, shiny new boutique hotel, fraught with stainless steel and black leather. The room are stunningly appointed. But the see-through shower in the middle of the room, the copious use of glass, and the total lack of enough room for a roll-away, made this hotel seem WAY more like a rendezvous spot for hot sex than a place to take our 12 year old son in a stop on our way to summer camp.

There is a somewhat "hot" bar off of the front door. Very classy. Beautiful young girls with sky-high heels and tight dresses. Looks like a great date spot. Again, 15 years ago for us. That's not what we wanted.

And the final thing. This hotel is located halfway between two humongous sports locations. We, er, don't do sports. It's on a street that is totally empty after 6 pm, in what looks like a bit of a financial district, with sports trappings. We were looking for a hotel that was more gentle, with a park nearby, and with a large lobby area where our child could hang out and have a coke or something.

I do not think that this hotel is poor, but for OUR PURPOSES it would have been a very poor introduction to Toronto. I put the one star on this to draw attention of other families, like my own. But I want to reiterate that it looks like a totally awesome place, especially if you love sports, are in finance, are in your twenties or thirties, etc.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank momwhotravels2013
MDHenderson, Director of Rooms Division at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear momwhotravels2013,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We want each traveller who visits us to be 100% enamoured with their stay. We are proud that our style and design are distinctive, yet recognize that not everyone will connect with our aesthetic.

Our location is indeed ideal for people who travel to the city for an event at the ACC or Rogers Centre; and in addition to that, Lake Ontario lies just a short walk to the south of us, with parks, boat tours, sailing, kayaking, canoeing, beaches and many other family-friendly activities. Our concierge team is happy to point our guests in the right direction.

Our guests also have access to the MVP lounge on the second floor of the hotel. With comfy seating, complimentary hot drinks and wi-fi, it acts as an oasis of calm amongst the hustle and bustle of the area.

Despite our mismatch, I am glad that our front desk team was able to find you a hotel that better suited your personal preference. We are ambassadors of our wonderful city, and are committed to doing what it takes to ensure that every visitor has a fantastic time here.

I hope your son had a wonderful time at camp.

Happy travels,

Director of Rooms Division

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Castlewood, Virginia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Toronto with our granddaughter to celebrate her 12th birthday with a Justin Bieber concert on the 25th. We stayed 2 nights/2days (July24th & 25th) and could not have asked for our stay to have been any better! From reservation to check-out we experienced "perfection". Even the weather was perfect, and although Susan (concierge) is number one....we'll give God credit for the beautiful blue skies. Location of hotel was excellent for concert venue at Air Canada Centre (within steps to entrance), and was within walking distance to the CN Tower and other areas. Susan went out of her way to make our trip special...our request to have a "Justin Bieber" birthday cake with balloons ready and delivered as a surprise while out on our second day's stay, made our granddaughter's day even better....it ended with the concert! We also, already had our reservation for the Hop-on/Hop-off Bus Tour ready and available at our arrival, so we were able to use all our time wisely since check-in to room was later that day. We stayed in one of the 1-Bedroom Suites and loved everything about it. As far as the price, I am by hotels as I am by meals, if I get what I pay for...I'm OK...we were definitely OK! Should we be traveling to Toronto in the future, our hotel is already decided....Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square. OUR THANKS TO THE HOTEL GERMAIN, THE BUSH FAMILY

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Terri B,

I suppose it’s only fair that we can’t give Susan credit for the perfect weather, since we aren’t blaming her for the crazy rain storms we had earlier in the month. Nevertheless, I wholeheartedly agree that if anyone learns how to move mountains, it will be Susan.

You are very welcome, from the entire team. We love Toronto in the summertime, and are happy to share our exciting city with visitors and locals alike.

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Toronto.

Best,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stylish, modern, lovely rooms, great service and good food. My favorite hotel in Toronto. Very well situated for downtown and the city airport. Highly recommend it for business or personal trips. Every stay has been a good one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Harriscoach
Delhi, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2013

They exceeded expectations. All staff, from the concierge, front desk, valets, room staff, even the maintenance guys really are that helpful and pleasant. Stayed three nights and enjoyed every minute. There are cheaper prices but overall I felt it was good value. I am disabled (use a scooter), travel alone and the layout of the rooms, facilities and staff services made for easy access and special requests being met. I came in to Toronto via train and even with the construction at Union Station I was off the train and checked into my room within thirty minutes! I am looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms with a terrace are great for entertaining.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Greg S,

I have a family member who is in a wheelchair, and have witnessed what a pain (literally) travelling can be when the hotel environment is unsuitable.

We aim to make every guest’s life easier; we’re successful if you’re just a bit sad to leave.

I’m glad you’ll be coming back, and look forward to meeting you during a future stay.

Safe travels,

international
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My hubby and I had stayed at Le Germain Hotel on Mercer Street and loved it so thought we would try this one during our recent stay in Toronto to visit family. As it is a newer hotel, we drove and used GPS to find it, but almost passed it because the signage is not very good (just a Giant 'g' on the outside). It is right beside Air Canada place so if you are going there for an event it is very well situated. We had flown all day and were famished so we each had a glass of wine in the bar before going up to the room. We were going to order an appetizer but were told it would take 20 minutes and we had a dinner reservation. Our bill came to $35 for the 2 glasses of wine including tax which was a bit of a shock. (And Toronto is my home town). The room we had was beautiful, and we were happy to see that it included an expresso maker, but each pod cost $2. We are not usually one to complain since we are happy to pay for the finer things in life, but this seemed a little over the top. A plus was the free wifi and breakfast buffet. All in all, this was a very good hotel but with 5 star prices.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steff0566
Bridgetown
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I had an excellent stay at the Hotel Le Germain. We received a welcome from the Concierge, a platter with doughnuts, wine - quite a surprise. The staff were welcoming, friendly and extremely helpful. The quality and presentation of the food was excellent. The room was out of this world, it was really tastefully designed and decorated. The bed was quite comfortable.
The hotel's location allows for easy access to downtown Toronto and I must say the view from our room was fantastic -the CN Tower especially at night. This is my first stat at the hotel and I will definitely return. I highly recommend the Hotel Le Germain to all. If you want an excellent, enjoyable, no hassle stay at a hotel while in Toronto, go to The Hotel Le Gemain.
I give this hotel 10 stars.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MDHenderson, Director of Rooms Division at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Annette M,

Ten stars! We’re honoured. Thank you for the wonderful review. We intend to earn those stars each and every time you return to our hotel.

I will look forward to meeting you during one of your future stays.

Happy travelling,

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Had a birthday weekend in Toronto back in November 2012, with my mom.
The hotel is lovely, very modern and chic.
The room we originally got was facing only the Telus building and we could only see windows of that building.
We requested another room, and no questions asks, we got another room; actually an upgrade.
It is very cool, all the personalized items they have.
They have personalized "Hotel le Germaine'' on the glasses, napkins, stationery set, ear plugs, and another item which I will leave you to find out.
The breakfast was good. I wish there would have been more to choose from though, as it was a continental type breakfast. It was good, but just not a lot of variety.
The rooms were clean and again, lovely.

I didn't want to leave. I shall return one day when I have money!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Kelly J,

I love the element of mystery/discovery you included in your review. If you haven’t already, you could consider a career in marketing.

While the breakfast is still continental, we’ve revamped our selection of pastries and muffins; a change we feel has stepped it up a notch.

We hope to help you celebrate your birthday again this year.

Cheers,