“Busy & Good”

Oliver & Bonacini Cafe Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Oliver & Bonacini Cafe Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #416 of 8,432 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Canadian, American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Yonge St & Front St
Transit: Oliver & Bonacini Cafe Grill is located one and a half blocks east of Union Station and two blocks south of King Station using the subway.
Toronto
“Busy & Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We visited on a snowy Saturday night. Our reservations were honored on time & the restaurant was near capacity - and quite noisy I might add. The food was all very good. Our table had the lamb tagine, short ribs & the butter chicken. All were attractively presented & very tasty. And filling. The service suffered in the latter half of our meal however. The bill was a bit of a shocker so don't go expecting a bargain night out.

• Visited February 2013

Toronto, Canada
“I loved it... 10 years ago”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Went there with my wife, 10 month old baby and my best buddy for one of my birthday dinners. I recall the O&B in Bayview Villiage being exceptional. But that again, that was over 5+ years ago...

We started off sharing the beef carpaccio and it was fair. Nothing exceptional or memorable about it at all.
My wife had the seared tuna, my buddy had the scallop linguini and I had the grilled calamari dinner. Overall, my grilled calamari was the best dish... and it was pretty average. The grilling was done to near perfection, however, the sauce was a simple tomato base which to me could have been out of spaghetti jar. No character to it or anything that would give it a signature appeal.
My buddy was really disappointed with his scallop linguini. I might have hyped up the restaurant too much as the last time I recalled - it was amazing! My wife's tuna was nothing special and she was a bit disappointed with her meal also.

We had ordered the lychee and cactus pear juice as the server mentioned it was delicious... however, came back a few minutes later to say they were sold out of it... and offered no alternative to us.

All in all, we were all very disappointed and decided to walk across the street to the Marche to have dessert.

• Visited January 2013
“Pleasant experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

My girlfriends took me to this restaurant to celebrate my birthday. The open concept decor was lovely, however, as the dining room becomes busier the noise levels carries throughout the restaurant. This is not a restaurant for intimate dining. There is a lounge bar near the back of the restaurant for drinks and a bar menu. There is $2 underground parking off of Scott Street with validation from the restaurant. Upon arrival for our 545pm reservation, there was already a crowd of people waiting for a table. As we had a reservation, we were seated within minutes. Every individual we had interactions with were friendly, pleasant and seemed to be happy to serve us. To start, I had the chef's special - beet salad with goat cheese and orange slices. It was artistically presented and had little beets on the plate, however, very tasty. The oven-roasted chicken breast, on collard greens, butternut squash and parisenne -style gnocchi was amazing. Beautifully presented and cooked to perfection. The chicken breast skin was crispy but not greasy and the meat was so tender and flavourful. The gnocchi was a bit bland on its own but it was intended to be eaten along with the other items on the plate. For dessert, the vanilla bean creme brule was fantastic and had the perfect custard texture that most restaurants have difficulty with. A friend ordered, the duck and shrimp stir fry noodle which was very filling and she was not able to finish the entire plate. My other friend ordered the macaroni and cheese with chicken and bacon. Needless to say, it was carb overload for her and she too was not able to finish her plate of food. They both enjoyed the full flavours of their dishes but had to take most of it home as they were too rich for them. The restaurant has high quality food and dining standards, although the washrooms didn't seem that way. Service was good and consistent, despite the busy rush of people that needed to be served. Overall, we had an enjoyable experience but did think some of the dishes were a bit over priced for what it was. I suppose the better the quality, that's why they could justify their prices. It was a nice treat for a birthday celebration.

• Visited December 2012
Regina, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

We visited this restaurant located at Yonge & Front Street in downtown Toronto during a late November trip to Toronto. The restaurant was surprisingly busy for a Thursday evening, but it does attract some diners before shows at the Sony Performing Arts Centre across the street. Our meals: braised beef rib; and chicken breast were delicious and the overall experience was very enjoyable. They have a good selection of wines by the glass to chose from.

• Visited November 2012
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have gone to this restaurant for many years and considered it a very good experience. Following their renovations in 2012 the restaurant is noisy, the service (which has never been stellar) is worse than ever and the portions for the food were really puny. Flavours were very good, but overall a crap dining experience.

Visited September 2012