“Oustanding value!”
Review of Downtown Home Inn

Downtown Home Inn
Ranked #9 of 116 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed at the Downtown Home Inn for Toronto Pride 2013. Having lived in downtown Toronto before it was important for us to feel like we were temporarily home again, not just visiting. For this reason we chose the Apartment Suite. The suite was absolutely perfect for our needs. For less than most of the hotels in the area we had a nice 1 bedroom apartment with a great little private kitchen, bathroom, and living room. The result was perfect - we felt like were living in Toronto again, if only for a few days.

The value of the stay in the suite is not to be understated. For anyone staying more than a few days you have all the amenities of home including the ability to store and cook food, open a bottle of wine and enjoy it in the living room, ect.

The bedroom is in the back of the house and separated by a door. Even with the party going on in the park in front of the house on this particular weekend, the bedroom was very peaceful for sleeping. The location is also perfect - it is central to everything, so you can find a cheap spot to park your car because you won't need it.

The place was clean and though the owners were not always there they were always a call or email away and very attentive to our needs.

I would recommend the Apartment Suite to anyone wanting to feel truly at home away from home while visiting Toronto.

Room Tip: The apartment suite is like home away from home. There is also a room with a private sundeck which s...
There are newer reviews for Downtown Home Inn

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had the nice and quiet room (Iris) for 3 nights. It is small but the bed is comfortable. Bathroom is shared but it was always very clean and we never had to wait for the bathroom. There were also another bathroom that we could use in the 3rd floor.
The manager is very nice. Breakfast in the morning and free wifi.
The Inn is very well located by a small park, where there is a bixie bikes station. There are nice place to eat around, especially this very neat place just next door : Smith Patio. Awesome food, nice ambiance and patio outside.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Came up for a long weekend with my nephew and we were both impressed by this B&B. Fantastic location only a few minutes walk to the subway. Neighborhood is great with many restaurants to choose from. We stayed in the Tulip room on the second floor and it was very spacious with a day bed and a Queen bed. House has nice hardwood floors throughout and the bathroom on the second floor is very clean with modern decor. Self serve breakfast was good. Owner John was extremely helpful and even helped us print our museum tickets (only way we could get a time slot to a special exhibit) - Thank you John!

Will be staying here again

Room Tip: Tulip room on 2nd floor and room above it on 3rd floor are the largest ones.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I did some internet research and took my best flip-of-the-coin when I choice this place - mostly because it's in an area that I wanted to be in and close to everything. I have stayed in Toronto a number of times and spent too much money on cold hotel rooms that are the size of shoe and wanted to do something different this time. This place went way beyond my expectations!! It's a really cute place that makes you feel like you are staying at home. The cost was much less than most of the hotels and the bed was probably one of the most comfortable I have ever experienced - very warm and homey. The apartment was amazingly spacious and the host (James) was outstanding!! James was a huge wealth of knowledge and was there if I needed anything. This location could not be more perfect as it is literally just a few steps from anything you could want (I should have skipped the car rental). I would absolutely stay here again and already booking my next trip for next year. You wont regret it!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank scottdallas451
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was my second time to stay in Toronto and also this decent B&B. They keep up their good quality service with reasonable price since my first stay in 2011. The owner is nice and the places are very clean and stylish. They provide a wonderful self-help breakfast. The neighborhood is safe and has a wide variety of restaurant for dining.
This is still my first choice for staying in Toronto!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Clean, comfy and close to everything! I stayed for a few nights and loved it. Very easy access to all that Toronto has to offer - either walking or subway / bus. Thanks James for making it such a great stay.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Damanda483
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed at the Downtown Home Inn for only one night and wished we stayed longer. We opted for the 1 bedroom apartment, and here are my plusses and minuses:

Plusses
+ Spacious, modern and clean unit.
+ Supercomfortable bed.
+ James was a fantastic host. He allowed us to drop off our bags before our check-in time, and later printed information when I inquired about transportation options to the airport.
+ Super convenient location - close to shopping, dining and museums.
+ Nice breakfast selection of cereal, fruit, spreads, coffee, tea and juice.
+ Love that there is a fridge in the room.

Minuses
- Very few. One of them is the actual height of the room. Since it's in the basement, the ceiling height is a little low. It was fine for someone like me who is 5'7", but I can see it being a problem for someone over 6' tall.
- Shower was a little wonky to operate.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay, and this will be our go-to place whenever we are in town.

My one suggestion is to check out nearby Loblaws @ Maple Gardens. It's upscale grocery shopping with reasonable prices. The place is almost as big as a football field, with big selections of baked goods, patisserie, cheese, charcuterie, rotisserie, sustainable seafood, tea, fresh fruits and vegetables, prepared food, etc. You can eat just about every meal there and never run out of options. I was gobsmacked.

2  Thank TCinSF