“Felt Like Home”
Review of Downtown Home Inn

Downtown Home Inn
Ranked #9 of 117 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This B&B is a definite must go to if in Toronto. Built in the late 1800's, it has been updated to have all the comforts needed. A 3 story walk-up, I had the Violet Room on the 3rd floor. Very comfortable bed, and a rooftop private porch.

The main floor has a very nice kitchen/dining/ and sitting room. Lots of natural light.

The owners/staff are very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast is everything from cereals, bagels, and self serve to cook as well. I was very happy with my choice to stay here.

Location is great, in the heart of the gay village and is one block from Wellesley Subway Stn.

Room Tip: Keep in mind it is a 3 floor walkup on narrow staircase. Top floor Violet room has private porch. In...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Downtown Home Inn

Reviewed October 4, 2012

you just feel like home, nice area, nice rooms and very very very nice breakfast!!
The guys running it are simply great!
suggested location! all you have to do is to book and contact them by phone if you need any details.
you get the code and you can just walk in and walk out just like you are at home!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at the Downtown Home Inn for the first time this weekend. I was working and very tired at the end of long days. When I arrived late Friday evening, I found a welcoming note on the door and a pretty room with a very comfortable bed. The shower was lovely and breakfast offered lots of choice and flexibility. I will be recommending the Downtown Home Inn to my friends and clients.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lindarferguson
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Good location in heart of the gay district and easy access to metro. Nice shared area where you could chat and have coffee etc. Breakfast was fine, you help yourself.

You are very much left to your own devices, we only saw the manager once so if you need advice, or need to print something etc there's no-one around to ask.

As with other B&Bs you share a bathroom, and you are in very close proximity to other rooms so it can be noisy with doors and floorboards creaking at all hours of the night as people use the bathroom. Best to wear earplugs if you want an un-interrupted nights sleep.

Our room was a little small and a bit dingy...but the price is good.

Overall, happy with our stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Down home Inn was my first taster of the B&B experience. The review should be read with that in mind. I stay in a fair number of hotels but my B&B experience is limited/out of date.

Overall I was happy with the experience. The location was very convenient for a business meeting the following day. And there are a lot of restaurants nearby. The Inn is often unmanned but James is efficient at replying to emails and makes sure you're able to get in and collect your keys.

The room itself was clean but rather soul-less. I shared a bathroom with the room next door which required timing in the morning. Fortunately the room door was thin so I could easily tell when people were visiting the bathroom....

I also found the space downstairs and the whole unmanned serve-yourself experience a bit soul-less. However I thought that for the location it offered really excellent value. Hence the heading. When I'm next in Toronto for the night I'll certainly stay there again. However, if I were holidaying in the area and staying a few days I'd be looking for somewhere a bit more charming. Horses for courses.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at Downtown Home Inn this past weekend while I was in Toronto for school. James was very quick with responding to emails and very easy to book with. The house is clean, comfortable and relaxed. The breakfast they had set out is great and I was glad to see options such as fresh fruit, yogurt, and soy milk. It is a popular area but the house was quiet and I had no trouble doing some studying and getting a good sleep. It's about a 10-15 min walk to Queen's Park and the University and has tons of restaurants and shops around it. Although I had the only room on the main floor and did not have a washroom on that level, it was no trouble sharing with the other guests that were there. The price is also one of the best I have found for a single traveller looking for a nice homey feel. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a lovingly restored walk up three story town home. The common room on the first floor is pleasant and large enough to accommodate all guests at once. James was our site manager and was there whenever we needed him although he is not present continuously. Breakfast is whatever you can make from eggs and bread, with a large variety of juices to drink, cold cereals, and a huge selection of marmalade, jams, Nutella, etc. Entry via the front door is controlled by an electric lock, whose code will be emailed to you prior to your arrival. (You won't get in if James isn't there if you forget this). Drawbacks: the stairs are narrow and steep, esp the ones to the third floor (think conning tower in a submarine!). Actively sharing your bathroom with strangers took a little getting used to. The third floor bathroom is small but adequate...if only it had a hook to hang your going down the hall clothes on. Bring your own soap, and if American, your own washcloth. The temperature is centrally controlled; your comfort zone may differ from others'. By opening the door to the patio outside our room we gained a little cooler air, tempered by the murmur of conversation from the tiny adjacent courtyard restaurant below. 51/2 minutes from cold to warm in third floor shower, another minute to hot..but plenty thereafter. Location - on a tiny dead-end street beside a tiny but pretty park. You can park there long enough to unload but then must back out into traffic to go in quest of parking. There is time- limited street side parking, with vigorous enforcement. There are pay parking lots/ garages nearby -I recommend choosing one with an attendant. This location is convenient to subway and streetcar stops. A daypass obtainable at most of the numerous convenience stores provides access equally to the metro, tram and buses. It is also at the epicenter for the gay and lesbian lifestyle in Toronto, with some very interesting local billboards and shops. Frankly I found the stairs a bit daunting and parking a bit frustrating but then I should have asked more questions. I certainly understand why others are charmed by this place; were I in my 20's rather than nearly 70, I think I would be charmed too.

Room Tip: No higher than second floor!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple