“Good location in heart of the village”
Review of Downtown Home Inn

Downtown Home Inn
Ranked #10 of 118 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Good location in heart of the gay district and easy access to metro. Nice shared area where you could chat and have coffee etc. Breakfast was fine, you help yourself.

You are very much left to your own devices, we only saw the manager once so if you need advice, or need to print something etc there's no-one around to ask.

As with other B&Bs you share a bathroom, and you are in very close proximity to other rooms so it can be noisy with doors and floorboards creaking at all hours of the night as people use the bathroom. Best to wear earplugs if you want an un-interrupted nights sleep.

Our room was a little small and a bit dingy...but the price is good.

Overall, happy with our stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Down home Inn was my first taster of the B&B experience. The review should be read with that in mind. I stay in a fair number of hotels but my B&B experience is limited/out of date.

Overall I was happy with the experience. The location was very convenient for a business meeting the following day. And there are a lot of restaurants nearby. The Inn is often unmanned but James is efficient at replying to emails and makes sure you're able to get in and collect your keys.

The room itself was clean but rather soul-less. I shared a bathroom with the room next door which required timing in the morning. Fortunately the room door was thin so I could easily tell when people were visiting the bathroom....

I also found the space downstairs and the whole unmanned serve-yourself experience a bit soul-less. However I thought that for the location it offered really excellent value. Hence the heading. When I'm next in Toronto for the night I'll certainly stay there again. However, if I were holidaying in the area and staying a few days I'd be looking for somewhere a bit more charming. Horses for courses.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at Downtown Home Inn this past weekend while I was in Toronto for school. James was very quick with responding to emails and very easy to book with. The house is clean, comfortable and relaxed. The breakfast they had set out is great and I was glad to see options such as fresh fruit, yogurt, and soy milk. It is a popular area but the house was quiet and I had no trouble doing some studying and getting a good sleep. It's about a 10-15 min walk to Queen's Park and the University and has tons of restaurants and shops around it. Although I had the only room on the main floor and did not have a washroom on that level, it was no trouble sharing with the other guests that were there. The price is also one of the best I have found for a single traveller looking for a nice homey feel. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a lovingly restored walk up three story town home. The common room on the first floor is pleasant and large enough to accommodate all guests at once. James was our site manager and was there whenever we needed him although he is not present continuously. Breakfast is whatever you can make from eggs and bread, with a large variety of juices to drink, cold cereals, and a huge selection of marmalade, jams, Nutella, etc. Entry via the front door is controlled by an electric lock, whose code will be emailed to you prior to your arrival. (You won't get in if James isn't there if you forget this). Drawbacks: the stairs are narrow and steep, esp the ones to the third floor (think conning tower in a submarine!). Actively sharing your bathroom with strangers took a little getting used to. The third floor bathroom is small but adequate...if only it had a hook to hang your going down the hall clothes on. Bring your own soap, and if American, your own washcloth. The temperature is centrally controlled; your comfort zone may differ from others'. By opening the door to the patio outside our room we gained a little cooler air, tempered by the murmur of conversation from the tiny adjacent courtyard restaurant below. 51/2 minutes from cold to warm in third floor shower, another minute to hot..but plenty thereafter. Location - on a tiny dead-end street beside a tiny but pretty park. You can park there long enough to unload but then must back out into traffic to go in quest of parking. There is time- limited street side parking, with vigorous enforcement. There are pay parking lots/ garages nearby -I recommend choosing one with an attendant. This location is convenient to subway and streetcar stops. A daypass obtainable at most of the numerous convenience stores provides access equally to the metro, tram and buses. It is also at the epicenter for the gay and lesbian lifestyle in Toronto, with some very interesting local billboards and shops. Frankly I found the stairs a bit daunting and parking a bit frustrating but then I should have asked more questions. I certainly understand why others are charmed by this place; were I in my 20's rather than nearly 70, I think I would be charmed too.

Room Tip: No higher than second floor!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Centrally located and near to restaurants, shopping and public transportation. Clean, comfortable rooms and friendly, helpful hosts. Rooms come with shared bathrooms, but these are modern and very clean. Overall great value and would definitely book again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We needed a place to crash after a day's sightseeing in Toronto, and this place was just right. A lovely house with character, very relaxed and welcoming hosts, and a clean comfortable bedroom. We were on the top floor and had a shared shower room but there was no-one staying in the other top floor room so it was almost an en-suite :-) The 'help yourself' breakfast is a lovely idea for people who don't want to be fussed over in the mornings (me) and despite being in the city centre, there was a real feeling of calm about the place. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would certainly use the Downtown Home Inn again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is a fantastic B&B. It is centrally located, a short walk to shopping and the entertainment district. I stayed here for 8 days with my daughter and we felt like it was our own home. We stayed on the main floor, the room was spacious with a comfortable queen bed and lovely linens. The house is very clean and breakfast has a great selection of cereals, breads, fruits, juices and eggs. James is an amazing host, always willing to help you and really makes you feel at home. The price is good and I will definitely stay here the next time I am in Toronto. I highly recommend staying here, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family