“Nightmare after cancelled flight”

Pearson Hotel Conference Centre Toronto Airport
Ranked #120 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Frankfurt, Germany
“Nightmare after cancelled flight”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I missed my flight with Air Canada so they gave me a voucher for this hotel. Because I was waiting already 45 minutes I decided to call the number on my voucher to ask when the shuttle would come. It was very hard to understand the man on the phone due to his strong Indian accent. 20 minutes later the shuttle arrived. It was supposed to appear every 30 minutes and it was already midnight and - 15 C. Finally in the hotel, you can already see in the lobby that this is not a nice place to be. It is dirty, a few sad looking plants and no nice flair at all. The only positive thing was the check in process that went fast and without any additional paperwork. The voucher was enough to get the key card. The room was ok on first sight. Big and spacious. However, the thick carpet was dirty so that you don't want to walk barefoot. The bed had comfortable mattress, but the sheets where not clean. When you go to bed it is quite unstable. WiFi is extremely slow. The shower in the bathroom did not work - only few drops of water came out. There is no restaurant or vending machine. Nothing in walking distance where you can get anything to eat. So my hope was the breakfast. Bit that was most disappointing. They had dirty thermos cans with brown liquid that you cannot call coffee. Cornflakes, croissants, yoghurt and apples was all that you could get. Overall also this breakfast place looked dirty and unorganized, so I decided to check out ASAP and to have breakfast at the airport.
It seems that most guests here are victims of cancelled or missed flights, so you see here mainly desperate people in bad mood. This is for sure not very motivating for the receptionists. I realized that when waiting for the shuttle back yo the airport when I had the opportunity to listen to some conversations between receptionist and guests.
Conclusion: never choose this hotel when you want to have a nice experience. In case you see this hotel on a voucher from the airline - ask them for a different one!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank tahick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Ontario
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We are from Sudbury and were travelling from Toronto to Mexico so we booked this hotel for our arrival and our return. This hotel is clean, the beds are comfortable and service was pretty basic. It is located very close to the airport so that was very convenient. They have a shuttle to and from the airport 24 hours so that helped as we arrived from Mexico at 2:30 a.m. They also have a pretty good continental breakfast. If you're not looking for luxury, this place is affordable and met our needs.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaeOntario
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2014

WestJet provided us a night at this hotel after our flight was cancelled. After waiting 30 minutes at -20+ temperatures for their shuttle to arrive we paid for a cab.

The cab driver had no idea what hotel we were talking about. We told them Pearson Hotel and Conference Centre (which is what it said on the voucher) and he'd never heard of it. We thought "Great, where is WestJet sending us!?". It wasn't until I told him the physical address (which I looked up using my mobile) that he was able to get us there. Turns out, the sign on the building says "Days Inn" and I had to confirm at the check-in counter that we were, in fact, at the Pearson.

The common areas of the hotel appeared to be modern, nice and clean. The check-in staff were not helpful and repeatedly took phone calls throughout our check-in process. There was no food anywhere. Not even vending machines and this hotel didn't appear to be close to any food sources within walking distance. Pack your own.

The room seemed okay at first glance but upon looking more closely at the bedding, both the sheets and duvet were heavily stained with large yellow areas and darker brown dots. Looking through the sheets on both queen beds, we found long black hairs on them. Towels were also stained. Carpet was also not properly vacuumed with many crumbs left on the floor as well as ground-in stains. I've attached some photos to this review. After seeing all this I felt uneasy leaving our luggage or anything else on the floors, beds or any other soft surfaces. Probably just being paranoid but I didn't want our vacation to start out badly because of this hiccup in our travel plans.

We used their shuttle to get us to the airport. The driver stood by the door as guests boarded but nobody was loading luggage. I really wanted to get my family to the airport so myself and another guest started loading. The driver eventually came back to the rear doors and offered no help - he just watched. Turns out they had over booked the shuttle and began asking guests (who where already seated) for their flight times and suggest they wait for the next one. It was a bit chaotic with some people holding their ground but eventually two guests opted to wait. At the airport myself and other guest proceeded to unload the luggage as well so I decided to give myself the tip.

We checked-in after midnight and we had to be back at the airport for 6am so we made the best of it. If I had any opportunity to go elsewhere (at my own expense) I would have done so. I will never stay here again and highly recommend you don't either. We will be sharing our experience with this hotel with WestJet and recommend they stop sending their travel guests here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CanCruiser343
Prince Edward Island
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel is under new owner ship as I understood from other guests. I then confirmed this with the front desk and it was true. I have to say I couldn't complain about this hotel for a 1 night stay. It was late when I got in and I left in the morning. Cost was low and I slept and showered. Room was clean and quiet.

Breakfast was minimal but included. All they offered the day I was there was bagels, cereals, and yogurts, juice and a so called coffee. Nothing exciting but enough to avoid high cost of an airport breakfast.

Location was around a 15 minute drive I think. Shuttle was included in my cost which was another bonus to me!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Fiddlemaster
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Upon return from a family vacation, we missed our connecting flight, so West Jet sent us to this hotel for a 2 night stay since we could not get another flight until then. They also gave us food vouchers to use at the dinning room. So off we went to the location indicated for pick up for the hotels shuttle, and there we waited and waited and waited while all other hotel shuttles came and went numerous times...finally it arrived, we loaded our own luggage as no help was even offered. Got to hotel and checked in, I handed the front desk person my vouchers which showed 2 night stay and asked where the dinning room was as it was 11 pm and my family had not eaten. That's when he tells me there is no dinning room or food, but there would be breakfast in the morning and took 2 of our vouchers worth 60.00. Turned out to be dry cereal and toast with juice. Room was ok nothing to write home about bathroom wasn't as clean as it should be, but we were tired it was late and we had 6 people including kids. The next day after getting some rest we needed to get some supper so in order to use our vouchers we had to go back to the airport to use in a restaurant there. So we needed to get the shuttle oh joy here we go again.. We waited 35 min while the driver and front desk person argued about taking us, finally we were on our way made it back to the airport had a bite to eat and went looking for the shuttle amazingly only took 5 min. Got back to hotel went to go to our room only to find out we had been locked out of our rooms..so my husband went down to the front desk to get keys fixed while me and the kids sat in the hallway in front of our rooms. 10 min later he comes back up and tells us to come down to the lobby with him as they front desk person told him we were only suppose to stay 1 night and someone else was in our rooms... How was this possible when all our stuff was still on them.. He was very rude oh and did I forget to mention the front desk person was the same person who drove the shuttle. So when he is out picking people up at the airport you can't check in. So while he was ignoring us and talking to other people we called west jet and filled them in on the situation and told them we wanted to move and would not stay here any longer. They booked us at another hotel, I told the guy at front desk give me a key so I can get my stuff we were leaving, he gave me a key card alright he have me the master key to all the rooms.. Are you kidding me!! If I was staying at a hotel and knew they gave out a master key to anyone id be very upset, I could have opened anyone's room door.. I don't know how this place is still in business..4 other people came and ended up leaving without checking in just by hearing all the trouble we were having. If you have any sense you will stay somewhere else any where else.

Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Bridgerbunch
Ontario
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed here for a park and fly on our way to Mexico... The rooms are nice and clean, but the service.... never again!...
They have very limited parking and one person thought he parked on the pool (hope not)... We asked for a shuttle at 4:15 am and he took our information and how many people (this was for a 6:30 flight with a 5 min drive, thought we had plenty of time with this). We arrived at the front desk at 4:10 and the shuttle already left. We were told it was full. So we asked for another shuttle right away and he said he wouldn't be back again for 40 min. That's unacceptable. If the shuttle is full then book another shuttle to pick up the overflow. When we came back, we were told to wait by pole S5 on ground level and call them when we get there... We were told again that they just left and it will be 25 min .... We waited 40 min and called again... Another couple waited for an hour and half before we were picked up. Never were we told that the shuttle had a different name on it... NOT IMPRESSED... We had to wait less time to land, taxi in and go through immigration and pick up luggage than to wait for a shuttle. When we arrived back at the hotel to pick up the truck, there was no one at the front desk to complain to... and there wasn't for the 7 min we were waiting for the truck to warm up. Also, when you call for a quote and they give you one, they never tell you until you get there that they charge you a 100.00 deposit... This should be clearly stated when booking... I stay at 5 diamond resorts and they don't charge you a deposit. Giving them a two rating is for the rooms...they are nicely decorated and clean...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KellyGirlOntario
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I travel a lot and am very easy going for the most part when it comes to hotels but I had an absolutely terrible experience at Days Inn (formerly Pearson Hotel). Staff are VERY rude and unhelpful, room and sheets were dirty, tub tap did not work, hallways and lobby are unkempt (dying plants, messy furniture etc). Internet does not work. Very unpleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank ladyjazz12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Comfort Hotel Airport North
Travelodge Hotel Toronto Airport/Dixon Road
Comfort Inn Toronto Airport
#17 of 60 in Mississauga
Radisson Suite Hotel Toronto Airport

Been to Pearson Hotel Conference Centre Toronto Airport? Share your experiences!