“Beds were not clean but worst of all this was a HORRIBLE customer service experience”

Pearson Hotel Conference Centre Toronto Airport
Ranked #117 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Kingston, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

I’m going to start by saying that I’m not one of those people who is especially fussy about hotels, nor am I generally one to complain (you can see I've posted several other positive reviews about other hotels and resorts). They don’t have to be modern or fancy, but they do have to be clean. We had a concern about the cleanliness of the beds in our rooms at this hotel and trying to resolve the issue after-the-fact was a very frustrating and extremely disappointing experience – one of the worst customer service experiences I’ve ever had in my life!

In April we travelled to the Caribbean for a week with friends and left their car at the Days Inn Toronto Airport before our trip, with the intent to stay overnight when we returned after a late flight. We chose the Days Inn because the price was reasonable and we weren’t expecting a 5 star hotel. When we arrived we were very surprised that the lobby was recently renovated; everything was shiny and new and appeared very nice. We had pre-booked the airport shuttle and didn’t have any issues getting to the airport.

On our return, we landed at Pearson at 2:30am, it had been a long day of travelling, the weather was crummy and we were really looking forward to a few hours of sleep before driving home in the morning.

We checked in sometime around 3:30am. When we entered our room we first noticed how everything (bathroom fixtures, carpet, furniture, etc.) looked brand new, but then we noticed the lights were already on, there was an open phone book on the coffee table and the bed had been turned down unevenly. It didn’t look right, it seemed that someone else had been in this room already, so we didn’t touch anything and called the front desk right away. The staff member at the desk agreed that the bed shouldn’t be turned down already, apologized and brought us a key to another room within a few minutes. This was not a problem.

However, once in the 2nd room, as we were getting ready for bed, our friends called from their room down the hall to say they had turned down their bed and found what appeared to be SCABS and BLOOD droplets on their sheets! They were really upset about this and said they’d prefer to just drive home, despite being exhausted. We then checked our bed and found 2 small spots, also looking like blood - near the pillow.
My friend advised the front desk that he was willing to pay for the parking, after all, the car had been there for a week, but that we expected to be refunded for the rooms. Again, the man at the front desk apologized to us. He advised that he didn’t have the authority to refund the rooms, but that he would let the manager know about it the next day. Once hearing that we weren’t going to be refunded, we asked the front desk man to return to the rooms with us; we wanted him to see the condition of the beds and we wanted to take pictures. He did this and my friend took pictures. We left at 4am, only 30-40 minutes from when we had checked in. We stopped for coffee and drove 3 hours home.

The next day, my friend and I each called the hotel and spoke with the manager, explaining our concerns. He did not even apologize for our experience. He said he was going to “investigate” and he would call my friend back the next day. He did not call back the next day, not even after I called to follow up with him. In fact, it took a WEEK, after leaving several messages with other staff members and finally a phone call to register a complaint with a 1-800 customer service number, before we ever heard back from anyone at the hotel. At that time I was told it wasn’t blood, but maybe ketchup or chili sauce on the sheets, which I don’t believe. I was offered 50% off a future stay, which I thought was ridiculous – blood or hot sauce aside, the way they had handled our concerns up until then was completely unacceptable and for that alone I would never return there - not even for a free stay. Besides that, even if it was ketchup on the sheets, it still means they weren’t clean.

I said that I didn’t want 50% off a future stay, but I expected a refund. We didn’t stay there because the beds weren’t clean, not because we changed our minds or wanted to drive all night long. I was told that he had to consult the manager, but I would get a return call within 24 hours. Of course, no one from the hotel called me back, again. I had to call back several days later and after another very frustrating conversation, was finally told that they would refund us only for 1 room - not the room with the parking (which was my friends’ room, and actually the one that had the most stains on the bed and was the reason we left the hotel).

We’ve moved on – it was never about the money, but about the principle of it. Other than the man who was working the front desk that night, I’m extremely dissatisfied with how the other 3 managers/staff members I spoke with handled our concerns and I will continue to tell every person I know who is looking for an airport hotel to NEVER stay here. Even if the problem we had with the sheets was a 1-time thing, (maybe the housekeeper was having a horrible day?) I am confident that any guest who has any sort of issue/concern will experience a massive headache trying to resolve it with this management team!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank gotta-c-sun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Toronto Pearson is a vast airport. In order to get from one area to another, you often must lug heavy luggage up and down floors and for long distances. Compounding these problems is a real shortage of working phones and few information booths. From past reviews, a reviewer mentioned the need to phone the hotel to tell them of your arrival to arrange a shuttle service. Don't bother. Despite knowing how difficult it is to get a working phone in Pearson, the hotel steadfastly refuses to book a shuttle in advance to meet you. They insist that after you land, you must first call them and wait 20+ min (not good in the cold or if you are there for a few hours of sleep). If you find a charge card phone (and don't have a card as you are a foreigner), don't call collect - their clerk Raoul refuses to accept charges. Thus, you must trudge with your heavy luggage around to find a working phone or information desk and then trudge back to the hotel shuttle point. Often, the shuttle bus does not arrive which necessitates a second trip. The next morning, don't expect anything much better. The driver was late and, to save time, dropped everyone off at Terminal 1, regardless of our protests. Another long trudge with heavy baggage until you came to your correct terminal - not good if you have a short time to catch your flight. How a hotel can screw up a simple shuttle service, even if contracted out, is beyond me. I would rather spend a few more dollars and catch a shuttle that does not need calling and comes regularly (Best Western, Holiday Inn, Sheraton)- at least you will arrive in time for a good night's sleep.
Other than the shuttle, their rooms are clean. The decor is a bit dated. No restaurant yet. The free breakfast is make-your-own toast, bagels, boxed cereals, with coffee, Nothing hot and fairly sparse offerings.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Gerry049
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

The hotel itself was very nice. It was in the process of being remodeled; the restaurant is not quite done yet. The shuttle to the airport was as expected. Make sure you let them know the night before of your expected shuttle time. The hotel does not have their own shuttle, they contract out the service. If you are expecting to be picked up at the airport by the shuttle service you will wait a very long time. The part of the service is below par and a taxi ride form the airport to the hotel is $27 USD. There are not many restaurants around the hotel area, but you have some choices in a 15 minute walk. Getting to downtown Toronto is pretty easy (take shuttle to airport, get on the 192 bus, and then take the train) total cost is $3.00 USD per person. Getting back is the same except from the airport to the hotel; in which you should expect to pay the $27 taxi fair. The continental breakfast is as usual with any other hotel (donuts, cereal, coffee, and juice). I would stay here again, with the understanding there is nothing around the hotel and travel FROM the airport will cost you a little bit of $$$.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dmccoytravels
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

We had an enjoyable stay. We went to an event in Toronto and picked the days in. On the site, the pictures looked nice and locaiton was convinient. It seems like they renovated the place because the rooms were very nice and clean. They had flat screen tv in my room. Breafast was good. For the price we paid, it was a good deal.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank josie_russo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

I stayed for one night when my apartment was painted. The room was clean and spacious. It was quiet. The bed was comfortable. I highly recommend it. Only negative - they don't allow pets

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Vlo43
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

I had an early flight to the U.K. the following morning and wanted to be a shuttle bus ride away from the airport. I arrived late and at check in I requested a wake up call. My wake up call never came and with seconds before the departure of the shuttle, I called down to the front desk and asked them to please hold the shuttle and I would make every effort to be there in a few minutes. The Night accounting chap Immeditaly decided to have an attitude about how they could not hold the shuttle, there other guests waiting blady blady bluh.
When I met Roger face to face I was not a happy camper, the attitude continued, I recommend Roger for some customer care training. If you are an airport hotel and you don't wake up your guests to enable them to catch their flights. "Turn out the lights and send all the staff home!!" The response I received from Angela Gleason Resolution Consultant of Wyndham Hotels was a standard form letter, just not good enough. I did make my flight, no thanks to the Hotel team. Missing a wake-up call in a hotel is a major error, further punctuated if you are an airport Hotel. Sorry folks I won't be back and will tell everyone about this experience.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank RichardDee
HotelReview240, Guest Relations Manager at Pearson Hotel Conference Centre Toronto Airport, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
We have telephone system at the front desk which takes care of all the wake up calls. The guest attendant at the front desk enters the extension number for that room and the time at the guest's request for wake up call. The system calls at the requested time and also keeps record of the call made to that room and same was done in this case. If the guest takes the call but go back to sleep due to late check in and going to bed late as the guest mentioned in his comments then the system will not make an other wake up call.

The shuttle time is scheduled every hour and every body wants to go to the airport on time for their flights, we can make formal request to wait for few minutes but it is very hard to hold 10-12 people to wait for one person after the scheduled time to leave because they insist the shuttle to leave on time. We make all our best efforts to accommodate and provide proper and courteous service to all our guests to make their stay comfortable and relaxing so that we see them again at our hotel.

The guest got on to the shuttle and did not miss his flight also received an apology letter from the Brand as said in the comments.
London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

We stayed here the night before our 6:15am flight from airport. Note that the Airport Shuttle does not run 24 hours, we had to be at airport at 3:00am for our flight, the shuttle stops between 1am-4am, so if you need a shuttle during those times you're out of luck. We knew this ahead of time and had a pass for the Park n Fly anyways so didn't affect us. The hotel is nice, clean, the rooms are spacious, flatscreen tv's, no complaints at all with the rooms. The front desk service wasn't the greatest as it seemed we were an 'inconvenience' checking in, the clerk didn't greet us, say hello or anything, not even a smile.... as if we we're interrupting his work. But the Midnight person was great, he was much more pleasant and very happy and talkative when we checked out at 3am. They do charge your credit card before you check in, they added $100 ontop of our room price, (some say $200, we were charged $100) and they take that off when you check out.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends