“Pleasant, but far from perfect”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Absolute Restaurant & Cafe - CLOSED

Absolute Restaurant & Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Toronto
“Pleasant, but far from perfect”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Absolute looks like a casual spot for a simple, inexpensive meal; but looks, alas, can be deceiving. I found the prices to be surprisingly high, given the look and feel.
The restaurant is unassuming in appearance: simple décor, bright and spacious, with a very visible pastry display. The menu is also very limited: not necessarily a bad thing. I had a pureed corn soup, delicious, and mussels in white wine broth, inoffensive, but uninspired. Artisan bread was brought to the table, a very nice touch, now only infrequently seen.
I realize that restaurants depend on liquor mark-up to pay for general expenses, but I resent feeling punished for wanting to enjoy a glass of wine (or two) with a meal. Paying nine dollars for a 5 ounce glass of Ontario wine detracts significantly from my enjoyment of the dining experience.
Service was generally good. However, I had ordered mussels as my main, and the server felt it necessary to tell me that they were ready when she brought me my soup, as if I had somehow made a mistake when I ordered to the detriment of the restaurant. I was left feeling that I was somehow in the wrong, not a pleasant feeling when trying to enjoy an appetizer.
I will likely return to Absolute to try another meal, on a night that I will be satisfied with having lunch or dinner with a glass of water.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Mr_Weston

Toronto
“Fairly good food, but decor/ambiance is lacking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We visited the restaurant on a Friday night and it was extremely quiet, which on the positive side meant we had almost exclusive attention by the only waiter on duty. We ordered caesars for appetizers, and scallops and linguini bolognese for mains. The linguini were good, and very abundant. The scallops were definitely the winner of the two. For dessert we had two also very generous slices of apricot tart and lemon meringue pie.

Overall it was a good dining experience - it definitely has the feel of a neighborhood family restaurant with honest food and honest prices. Nothing pretentious.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank canch06
Toronto, Canada
“Outstanding value and soon to become a favourite neighbourhood spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you are looking for a local neighbourhood bistro with top-notch food, quality and service, this is it!
We were there for dinner after searching for a spot close to where we'd be attending a concert - a couple of miles from so many restaurants in Yorkville. The food was delicious, wine list more than adequate. What's more, our server was wine-savvy - this is not often the case. The menu was varied and the presentation was lovely. We had starter salads which were fresh and plentiful and offered delicious and different tastes. One of us had chicken, the other salmon, and both found them cooked to perfection. The dessert menu had several tasty offerings and we loved our pecan tart and chocolate truffle cake. The meal was a super value.... and the tipping point to the fifth star was the superb and knowledgeable service offered to us by our server, and the friendliness of the chef as we left. We will be back, and are recommending it to all our friends.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Stewsview
“Awesome burger”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This restaurant moved into the 'hood where I work recently and I have to admit I was hesitant to try it since I wasn't crazy about what was there before.

I had lunch there recently and ordered the burger and fries. It was a very delicious burger. It didn't seemed to be processed and the bun was soft. The fries were good too ... crisp and salty. The aoili had a bit of a bite (I was okay with that). It is a great value for just $10!

My colleagues had chicken and they said it was good too.

The servers were friendly.

Our only negative concern is that it seemed to take a lot time for the food to come out.

I'll be back!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Teena_in_Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“very nice neighborhood bistro”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

This used to be a convenience store and has graduated to a nice neighborhood bistro. Bakes goods are the draw but in the rear of the place are comfortable tables and chairs for a light breakfast, lunch or dinner. The prices are reasonable, service is friendly and pretty quick. Meal options are pretty ordinary and comfort-foodish, as in tuna melt The family that operates the place is very friendly, eager to please and open to chatting.wayne

Visited September 2012