“OK as a last resort”

Ranked #91 of 133 Hotels in Toronto
Vancouver, Canada
“OK as a last resort”
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a week while in town on business and visiting friends, and while it was reasonably clean and comfortable, the service was so terrible I would not stay there again. There are enough hotels in the area in the same price range that there's no reason to go to this Travelodge.

Two days into my stay when I was getting my room key card re-programmed (which I had to do daily because it would stop working) the lady at the front desk very rudely informed me that she did not know why I was in the room I was in, and that I would need to pack up my things and move rooms immediately since it was almost checkout time, otherwise I would need to pay an additional $30 a night to keep the room I had.

Well I can tell you exactly why I had the room I had, because the man at the front desk who checked me in was checking me out, if you know what I mean. But I don't think I should have to move rooms just because they checked me into a room that was more expensive than the one I reserved. I did not ask for that room. I didn't even realize it was more expensive - it had the same ammenities as my reservation. The only difference I could tell is it was on one of the "business" floors, which I didn't know until afterwards.

At the time I was at the front desk having this conversation about changing rooms I was on my way to a meeting and I did not have time to go and pack up all my things, so I agreed to pay the extra for that night. The next day I moved to another room but they still billed me the higher rate for the remainder of my trip. When I asked about this at check out, they said their rates were higher for those days and that there was a note in the system that I had been informed about this. (I had not been informed about this.) She explained that since this second room was not under my original reservation because I had been moved, I did not get the rate I would have gotten if I had booked that room online. I asked if this meant that midweek when I moved rooms because of their staff putting me in the wrong room, I should have checked out, made another online reservation and then checked in again... and she said yes, that is what I should have done to get the rate I originally reserved at. Honestly I didn't have the patience to argue with them about it, although I'm sure I could have gotten some money back if I complained to the general manager. I've just never had anyone say something so ridiculous to me when I'm giving them so much business. I stayed at that hotel for 7 nights, and I never will again.

• Liked — Location (airport, highways)
  • Disliked — Changing rooms midweek, arguing to get the rate I reserved at, being overcharged
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank CanuckGal84

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Polish first
Lillooet, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2008

I stayed here so as to avoid driving to the airport in a severe winter storm as I had an early morning flight. I thought it was a very comfortable hotel. The beds were awesome, hard to get up in the morning.The hotel has a nice lobby but the rooms are very plain and not exactly pretty, but when staying at an airport hotel I don't care about pretty.
The pool was clean and well maintained. The restaurant downstairs had great food but was slightly pricey.
I had no issues with this hotel and would stay here again:)

• Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Lillooetbeachbum
Toronto
Reviewed September 10, 2006

Travel constantly for business and stay here often. While rooms are showing age, the beds are comfortable, a nice work space is provided in rooms and curtains keep it dark and rooms are quiet. In other words, decent for business. Clean.

The fitness area is a bit less than ideal but is being renovated along with lobby, so wait and see in the fall I guess.

Service is attentive and friendly, and plenty of free parking.

Excellent food in the restaurant (on high side of average price) with a nice bar with good selection of European beers (if that's your thing)

• Liked — Good sleep, clean, quiet
  • Disliked — Older furnishings
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank BlvlTraveller
Orillia
Reviewed August 26, 2006

Another great stay!!! Checked in late Sunday night and the staff did everything to make my stay wonderful. And what a nice room with a king size bed. I have been there 3 times now and would definitely recommend this to any one especially those catching an early flight out of Pearson.

• Liked — room service, the size of the room, friendly staff
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank brianboy
Lowville
Reviewed March 25, 2006

I have to start by saying that I like this hotel. It has always been clean, friendly, and has a reliable shuttle restaurant is goo, and there are others around that are good. The pool is clean and It is a good price for stopovers.
The bad, this is not a reflection so much on the hotel but rather a systemic problem for all hotels in the aria. When we returned from our flight we discovered that all 4 tires were stolen and our window was smashed. Their long term parking is at the former Regal Constellation, currently closed. There was also a gentleman we that had his radio taken. The hotel was very sorry, comped our room with an upgrade and we very helpful.We are flying out again this may, and we still will stay there it a good place, But I think all should be concerned that the neighborhood has become a haven for car vandalism.

Stayed May 2005
10 Thank jgr6b1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 11, 2006

Great Hotel, the sales manager mohamed was great. Very clean hotel & great service.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2004

I recently stayed at this Travelodge, as I had to catch an early flight to the US, and wanted someplace close to the airport and reasonably priced.

My experience was horrible; I walked into a room with airconditioning blasting, to mask the smell of damp. As well, the bathroom was old with a cracked mirror and mold growing on the top of the shower.

All night long I kept hearing a fan, which meant a really lousy night's sleep.

I read that the other reviewer liked the 24 hour shuttle. I believed, based on the website, that this is a complimentary service. It is not, it is $6, which is same price as a taxi, and you do not have to stop at every terminal.

As a frequent traveller, I have stayed in budget as well as more lavish accomodation... and this would be my worst experience.

12 Thank constantia