“Needs spring cleaning”

Ranked #116 of 133 Hotels in Toronto
Sarnia, Canada
“Needs spring cleaning”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

On the surface the room looked clean...other than the food that had been left in the fridge and the stains on the carpet. Once we looked beyond the surface (behind the furniture to look for outlets), well, not so clean. Someone needs to do some serious spring cleaning and painting. There was a sticker on the wall - not put there by us, but was there for the whole time during our stay. Bathroom floor was ok, except around the edges - again, little piles of dust and dirt accumulated in the corners could have been easily cleaned by simply bending down with a rag to wipe it up.

The sheets and the bed spread had holes in it...looked like cigarette burns.

Garbage was piled in the stair wells most of the day causing a huge smell.

We had a non-smoking room...but the smoke from adjacent rooms was drifting into our room making it really hard to breathe.

One amenity the kids were looking forward to was the pool- which they refused to go into. The hot tub has plywood over top, and the pool didn't look too healthy, it had a layer of dirt/sand on the bottom.

Given the cleanliness issues we noticed throughout the hotel, we chose to not partake of the breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank onmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Not a good expeience - stayed here for one night for wedding on October 7, 2012. Asked a head of time in email for early check in as wedding started at 2 and checkin was at 2 - was assured that a room would be available by noon for us. Prepaid with a credit card. Card was pre-authorized four days before we even got there - when we arived told card was declined and had to pay cash and a $100 deposit. Was not happy and went up right away and called cc company and was told that super 8 toronto east had a hold on our card for exact price of room - so basically they screwed up and I was left to deal with credit card company myself after their mistake. and forced to pay cash. Desk clerk when we checked in was rude and told me it was not his problem (he actually said 'Listen Lady I don't know what to tell you") my husband almost flipped out on him but held his tongue.
To make matters worse he gave us a hard time about the early checkin - I told him I had an email saying it was okay and a room would be ready and he moved my purse (which was over a sign on desk) pointed to the sign and said "checkin is 2:00 PM it is only 12" - I again told him about email and said I was told a room would be ready - he said he would have to see if he could find one - like we were putting him out.
The room was dirty - lots of dust around room edge - caked basically. Carpet is very dirty and we did not want to take off our shoes. Bathroom had no hot water - it was tepid at best. There were no bed bugs at least and linens were clean.
Garbage bags (6-8) left in stairwell overnight - disgusting and a safety hazard as it blocked stairwell (they had a cone in front of all the bags).
clerk in morning was fantastic and when she asked how our stay was and I told her she was fatastic and got right on phone to cc company to have hold taken off of card right away (guy at night would not do that). Kudos to her !!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim R
Mattawa, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I'm giving this 1 star because the fridge worked. Otherwise everything else was bad. The pictures on the website are very deceiving, don't be fooled. The lobby is dark and small, breakfast area very small hardly any room for anyone, breakfast: honey dipped doughnuts, stale muffins, bread for toast - a pound of cold butter with the foil ripped back in an ice bucked that everyone picked at to try to chip butter off, watered down juice - not even fruit. The halls are stinky, carpets are dirty, room doors are covered in smudges, gloomy impression as you walk down the hall to your room. Stairs are very dirty, garbage bags and empty boxes of pizza piled up inside the back exit. Rooms are very small, our bathroom sink was outside the bathroom, bathroom had toilet and tub, so small I had to step into the bathtub to close/ open the bathroom door, soap looked like it had been re-cycled from the '70's, the wrapping on one of them was dirty and looked like it had been plucked out of the garbage, shampoo was some "no-name" brand in a "ketchup-like" rip-open plastic pouch, no separate conditioner, our toilet plugged up. I wore socks on my feet the whole time I was in the room because the carpet was so dirty, I didn't dare walk on it in my bare feet. Mattress seemed old, very uncomfortable. Room was stuffy and stinky.

Room Tip: Very bad experience, stay away!! Found COMFORT INN next door, visited and decided to stay there for...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony M
Romin T, Manager at Super 8 Toronto East ON, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the sub standard conditions you describe.

It was a big suprise to have read your review and I have adressed the issues you describe with the housekeeping department.

As you can see from other reviews left by guests, your experience is not what should be expected.

Please know your feedback is extremely important to us and I hope that you will visit us in the future.

Kind Regards,

Romin
Stellarton, Nova Scotia
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Had never stayed at this hotel & took a chance. Extremely pleased. Very friendly staff from the front desk to the housekeeping staff. Great parking with good proximity to public transit. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: If you can get a room at the back all the better because Kingston Road is a very busy street
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Ontario
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night and found the room to be cozy and very comfortable. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Positives: we found the staff to be very friendly and responsive; the building is older but was very clean; free wi-fi; fridge/microwave and we felt safe while staying there. Our concerns were specific to our room - the AC in our didn't work very well and the mattress needed to be replaced - so I imagine that your experience at this motel may be somewhat on what room you are assigned. I feel that given the high cost of rooms in TO that we got what we paid for - but in the future we may chose to pay more to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Simcoe, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This is my forth time staying at Super 8. Donna and the staff are very nice people, They make you feel welcome. The rooms are kept very clean, well stocked in towels, and coffee. The fridge and microwave are a plus to the room and kept clean. The room nothing but a clean smell. The price for a room is affordable. Stayed for 4 nights, and told them I will be back, now I am a regular customer. I would highly recommend the Super 8 to anyone. Thanks again Donna and staff for a wounderful stay, See you all next month.

Room Tip: " All the room and hallways are quiet"
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends