“Lacking finishing touches”
Review of Edward Hotel

Edward Hotel
Ranked #116 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed April 21, 2009

My family stayed at The Yorkland for two nights. I was very pleased with the front desk and the staff at the Yorkland. The small things are what separate the good from the mediocre. The Yorkland is unfortunately in need of a few finishing touches before it would achieve a ' very good ' rating with me.

The bathrooms are very small, have no fans and the acrylic bathtub fitted liner was poorly installed causing the tub to be spongy and uneven to stand in, very dangerous.

The heating/ac unit was loud. The pictures on the walls were way too small and looked cheep. The buttons in the elevator were the clear type with the floor number written in it, but the clear plastic was very old dinghy and dirty.

The continental breakfast was very limited. Don’t expect much. There is a $5.00 per night parking fee that is an obvious rip off.

The swimming pool liner was not properly installed causing major ripples in the liner, very unprofessional. The pool liner also showed signs of poor maintenance with what looked like a three-inch soap scum ring around the top.

Even though I paid $ 47 per night through Hotwire (I searched the Don Valley / Toronto area) that doesn't make it a good deal in general, just that I paid a reasonable rate for a nights stay. I was hoping to get a great rate on a great hotel. Isn't that the point of searching for a great rate?

Will I recommend this hotel? Unsure, it depends what your needs are. I paid a reasonable rate for this hotel; I wouldn't suggest you pay more than $ 60 tops. There are several other hotels that you may pay a little more for, but you will get way more for your money.

I hope this helps. Also, be sure if you stay to insist on a room facing the front of the hotel, the back rooms faces a very busy and loud highway. We were lucky!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank unkn0wn1

Reviewed April 6, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Wyndham Garden in Toronto for a week in March. The hotel is reasonable - it's conveniently located at the 401 and DVP. Lots of space and quiet in the area. With all the space that they have in the area of the hotel, I feel there is a bit of nickel and diming - they charge $5/night for parking.

The rooms are spacious but average. They are renovated, but not enough to not feel like the hotel has aged. The "smart chair" (a chair with a socket, ethernet connection and two rotating tables on the arm rests) was a bit of an uncomfortable oddity. The bathrooms leave something to be desired. They have been retrofitted with plastic covers over the old tubs and new hardware which gives the appearance of nice. In reality however, the bathrooms are slightly too small given the size of the items inside.

The lack of a mini fridge and safe in the rooms were missed, though there was a single cup coffee brewer. As I had work to do, the free internet connection was helpful. I had some trouble with my Mac, but the outsourced helpdesk was incredibly helpful in getting me connected with little trouble.

The wings at the bar connected to the hotel were nice.

Again, the hotel was a reasonable stay. It was clean enough and at least the staff were nice.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wtlau
Reviewed February 21, 2009

I stayed at the Wyndham Garden Toronto from February 19-20, 2009 on business. The hotel is located somewhat in the middle of nowhere (near the junction of the 401 and the Don Valley Parkway), from the perspective of a visitor to the city at least. However, from the moment I arrived, I was impressed. The front desk staff was incredibly efficient and courteous, which started my staff off right.

I was assigned to Rm. 834. It was large, comfortable and tastefully decorated. A King-sized bed and a flat screened television featured prominently in the room, as well as a comfortable chair and an expansive desk for those who need to work during their stay.

The entire hotel has been recently renovated and it shows. The lobby is the highlight of the space, full of comfortable seating areas and brightly lit. If I were ever back in this part of town (though I wonder why I ever would be), I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Go2Girl
Reviewed December 21, 2008

My family (2 adults, 2 children aged 9 + 12) stayed here in December 2008 as part of a larger group of families (our son's sporting team). Normally expectations aren't huge when traveling with a sport team, however the Wyndham was quite good. Our travel coordinator received a great rate ($99) and the reservation, check-in, and check-out process was smooth and easy. Good things about the room - it was fairly large which was good as we travel with a family and lots of "stuff", the beds were comfortable, and the room was set up perfectly fine for laptop and technology work (lots of plugs, easy to access wireless internet). That is a real MUST for us. The bathroom and the closet were tiny, though. Not a big issue, however. One thing I did notice is that dirty wineglasses sat outside another room in our hallway for 2 entire days .. morning, day, and night ... they just sat there in that hallway, never picked up. I noticed them when we got there on Friday night, and they were still sitting there when we left on Sunday. Strange that housekeeping never picked them up over that whole time and makes me wonder how many other housekeeping corners they cut. However, that being said, we had a good stay there. The hot tub was out of service when we were there, but the boys enjoyed the pool area - it was bright and clean and a pleasant environment, while not a huge pool. It is pretty convient to find although in some respects it feels out of the way because it is in this industrial-park type of area. Although once you know where you are going it turns out to be quite convenient. Few helpful places down the street (Starbucks!). Absolutely need a car.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank clamc40
Reviewed December 8, 2008

Stayed two nights, and the place was true to the pictures I saw on Expedia's website, the room was very nice, very nice finishings. The bathroom was a little small but how much time do you spend in there. The bed was very comfortable and nice flat screen tv. Granite coountertops and nice bedding, hottub and pool were very nice, staff was excellent, no comlpaints about them. But if you want a watch a movie stay away from what they call smoovies, it is $10 a day and you can watch up to 5 movies, the problem is, I have never heard of most of the movies and they were all very old.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank celicagts7
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I stayed for one night as I had a business meeting near to the hotel. It is a little difficult getting here by public transport from Toronto airport. I took 3 trains & a bus & still could not find it. The location is not good if you are visiting downtown, its far out. At night, it is hard to find this hotel. I had to flag a taxi down & he took me the short distance. The hotel seems to have undergone transformation recently. Newly decorated rooms are very nice, thou the lighting at night is very poor. Nice flat screen tvs with vast amounts of channels. Staff are very friendly. Great hotel but not for those looking to be near downtown or the airport.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank slimshaneylondon
Reviewed October 20, 2008

this hotel located in industrial area and was not easy to find that being said once we arrived are stay was a terrific experience from check-in to check-out. they do charge 5.00 a day parking which for a hotel this far out from airport should not be. but overall the experience was great.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple