“OK, but not great.”

Ranked #68 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Sunderland, UK
“OK, but not great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2007

The hotel was cheap, but not in a great location, and the room could have done with a refurb (and I'm sure it had recently had one, so I should say a better one).

On arrival, we had to cart bags up some stairs, so limited level access as far as I could see, which wasn't too great. We had problems of an embarassing nature with the bathroom, which were sorted out, and then realised we didn't have enough towels or crockery for us all.

The room itself was a suite, and from the floorplan, the largest room in the hotel. 2 large bedrooms, with a lounge and bathroom. Plenty of space for luggage and clothes. There was a smelly microwave and intermittently-working minifridge. The coffee wasn't wonderful either. The bathroom was small and old, and once the issues were resolved was OK, but could do with a refit. The fridge stopped working and when we investigated this was because there were too many appliances all working off the same electric socket - bit risky!! The windows needed cleaning too. The beds were king size, but not too comfortable. There were three TVs overall (one in lounge and one in each room).

The area in which the hotel is located is not the best but ok. The Carlton streetcar is nearby, and College subway station not too far away either. Allan Gardens has improved in recent years since my last visit, but still isn't great.

There is a swimming pool, which we didn't try ,and a restaurant that looked decent value, but didn't try it either. Quite good facilities for the price though.

On departure, they tried to charge us for 3 nights car parking, when the car was returned to the hire company after the first night (and we told them so at check in and when we returned the car).

They did keep our bags in the luggage room on departure day so that we could do some last minute shopping, which was good.

Overall, average - the room was very big and decent value at £200 for 3 nights for what was really like an apartment, but could do with a refit and I wasn't too keen on the area.

• Liked — Room size
  • Disliked — Problems with the bathroom and fridge
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank fubnj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2007

We had a wonderful stay at the hotel! The staff were friendly and the room was great! We loved the location and we're going to stay there again this weekend!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
9 Thank alexzandriajohnson
Dundee, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2007

We spent 8 nights in this hotel. I had booked using Expedia and had gotten a pretty good deal. On arrival we had been upgraded to a two bedroom suite with King-sized beds, 3 large TVs, fridge, FREE internet etc.My kids were happy as Larry with their huge bedroom & my wife and I enjoyed the privacy of our own room. The front-desk staff was very friendly & helpful. OK, so it's not an olympic size swimming pool but what more do you want at the end of a busy shopping day in the Eaton Centre, just 10 minutes away on foot. I will have no hesitation in staying here on my next visit to Toronto. The hotel's website photos of rooms & swimming pool etc. are very accurate. Thank you Ramada Plaza for a great stay !

• Liked — the separate bedrooms
  • Disliked — breakfast costs extra
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank ochayethenoo
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2007

Regular guest at this hotel.
Well located, good parking, large non-smoking rooms.
Overall cleanliness is excellent.
Helpful staff at front desk.
Breakfast is quite good.
Have not had dinner in the dining room yet.
Reserve ahead, they are frequently booked solid!

Stayed October 2007
6 Thank RoadWarrior98
Dortmund
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2007

We are so sorry we stayed here. We do not feel that we got value for our money. Hotel room had a very tired look, though the lobby and pool area were very well kept.
If you are hoping to do sightseeing pick a more central location. I must agree with other reviewers, the parking cost is a bit high considering the location of the hotel. I am sure the hotel management will respond with a comparison to other more centrally located areas(which wouldn't make for a true comparison) but we found that public parking downtown actually offered more competitive rates.
After two nights here we left and went to the Fairmont Royal York and had the best stay.
This is NOT the place you want to take your family for a nice Toronto stay. While it is not the worst hotel, it is certainly not among the best. After reading the hotel management responses we should have been more suspicious. Despite what management says to defend itself I am genuinely suggesting you pick another hotel if you have that option.

• Liked — Free Internet service
  • Disliked — Shabby rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank atkinsc

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

asia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2007

Before I arrived in Toronto, I booked the Ramada Plaza based on the good reviews that were listed. I took the negative ones with a pinch of salt. When I arrived at the hotel, I realised I made a HUGE mistake not taking heed of the negative feedback which have proven to be true.
First impression of the hotel is, the frontdesk staff were very indifferent to me - their guest. I commented that as there are so many steps leading up the main door and exit of the hotel, they need to have a staff to assist guests with heavy luggages. They plainly told me Ramada Plaza do not have any staff like that or any bell boys.
When I stepped into the room at the 2nd level allotted to me I was terribly disappointed at the old and aged state of the rooms, and the small space of the toilets. the toilet sits very close to the bathtub (2 inches away), and the window beside the bathtub is about the size of a 15inch laptop.
Upon request to change to another room on the higher level, once again, I was shocked to find that the drainage of the sink and the bathtub were not working. I found a pool of water collecting at my feet up to my calves while showering. The water in the sink did not drain quickly, but seeped down slowly. The space was small. I do not know about the other good reviews about how spacious the suites can be, but my room was definitely not conveniently laid out. I felt that they should just remove the tv area, and expand it to a one bedroom space. I saw and experience these in a room that was newly renovated (as conveyed to me by the frontdesk when I told them what I experienced).
My goodness - they do need another round of renovation.
The hotel housekeeping were nice, but I would not say that of the attitude of the frontdesk staff on duty then.
My advice, you can find much better hotels than this at similar rates. If you are looking for comfort to stay at this hotel for more than 2 days... forget it. If you are there to stay on a tight budget for 1 or 2 days... it is still bearable. Please reconsider this hotel. Too bad, I was too distraught to take any photos of the hotel rooms at this hotel.
The situation outside the hotel in the later evening is not really a nice place to walk. There are people on crack, and prostitutes lurking around. I do not know if it happens for 1 or 2 nights, but I was long gone to another hotel, and did not stay at Ramada for the 7 nites that I had initially planned. I left after staying 1 nite.

Stayed September 2007
9 Thank TheLalalala
RamadaPlaza_Mgmnt, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2007
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a review of our
hotel. I apologize that parts of your experience was anything less than
satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest
we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and
comfortable as possible.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as
yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In
addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed.

I would like to take this opportunity to respond to each one of your complaints.

1. Although we do not offer bellman service we do have a ramp to the lobby for those guests that have difficulty with the 8 steps leading up to the lobby from our courtyard driveway.

2. As the building is a historic property built in 1929 we have had some challeges with the space of the bathrooms. We are currently looking at ways to improve this through renovations and space saving techniques.

3. When a guest is confronted with a plumbing problem we hope that we are informed immediately so that we may have the chance to fix it.

4. We have many guests that stay quite comfortably for weeks if not months at a time. If only we could have been given the opportunity to listen to your complaints and correct them onsite.

We hope that we will have another opportunity to accommodate you in the future so that we may work with you to make your stay more comfortable.

Darryl Nielsen
Ramada Plaza Hotel Management
dfadf
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2007

Suites are spacious, excellent for families. Highly recommend as alternative to regular hotel rooms. Suites are clean and nicely decorated. Unfortunately the swimming pool is not amazing ie. only 4 feet deep.

Stayed September 2007