“Be careful with booking this hotel! Or better just stay away.”

Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
Ranked #52 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Seattle, Washington
“Be careful with booking this hotel! Or better just stay away.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Be careful with booking this hotel! Most of times when you use an official hotel website, they offer some not-too-good rates but with the flexibility of cancellation and better rooms. Not this hotel!

Be very careful when you book the "10 days advanced" rate, which is barely $10 cheaper, and their website states that a deposit might be taken and forfeited if you have to cancel. A deposit is rare enough... but the hotel didn't charge any deposit after reservation is confirmed, which is confusing enough.

But when I have to cancel a trip this morning due to a friend suffering from a sudden illness, the website states that only the deposit will be forfeited, but then the cancellation email says the entire reservation will be fully charged. (Why does anyone bother to cancel then?)

But the worst is yet to come! When I called the hotel to explain this situation and for the policy discrepancy between the website and email, they were cold, rude and basically said "we are going to charge you no matter what", and when I requested to talk to the management, they redirected me to a phone number that no one picks up. I don't believe a poorly managed hotel would be welcoming for anyone who actually stay there, and given the mess with their official reservation system (not cheap Hotwire), I recommend everyone just stay away, Toronto has so many better options to offer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank KevinSeattle2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear KevinSeattle2013,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, ON. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

on our one week stay, we had great experience. easy access to Subway, Restaurant, Supermarket and Dundas street (Eaton center) .The only negative point in long saty is: our room has a small size window face to side street which doesn't get a lot of light. otherwise we enjoyed....

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our stay here was a great experience with staff such a Narissa and Michael who were exceptionally kind and helpful to us. We had unfortunately been double booked at the Bond Place hotel (which is terrible and I suggest you avoid at all costs) and the Holiday Inn kindly took us in at 2am, and gave us lovely rooms. The beds are enormous and there is free wifi and a swimming pool. They also helped us sort out our issues arising from the awful treatment from the Bond Place Hotel, with several phone calls to our travel agent in the UK, at their expense. They have made a bad situation a really good experience and a holiday of a lifetime with a great trip to Niagara. It is well situated within walking distance of the main shopping centre and it is about a half hour walk to the CN tower which is definitely worth a visit. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, Thanks again Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Floor 6 is where the swimming pool is situated, however we were in the 22nd floor and the views of t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bambi1964
Racine, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed here recently for 4 nights. The staff were all wonderful, especially the concierge, who was unbelievably patient and helpful. The subway and streetcar were all up on the corner. We took the Grayline bus just about everywhere and one of the 21 pickups for it was right around the corner too. Our room had been remodeled and was very nice and really clean. We were on the 11th floor in a corner and didn't hear any outside noise. We like to walk so we were able to walk to the St. Lawrence Market and Dundas Square. One day we even walked down to the Harborfront, but that was about a mile and a half. The parking situation is definitely an issue here though. The hotel parking lot only allows 5'7" vehicles but vans are higher than that, so we ended up parking about a block away in an open parking lot, which made us nervous but it worked out fine. Even with that, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If possible, get a north-facing room in the corner - not much of a view, but very quiet.
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great central location however checking in later in the evening made for a very confusing parking arrangement in the garage next door - payment was not obvious. Walking distance to the Eaton Centre and close to streetcars and subway made this an attractive location

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Sydney D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Sydney D,

Krysllin G.
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have stayed in a LOT of hotels in Toronto, and all across Canada. Never have I been so compelled to write a review so quick. It isn't often that I write a negative review, as I try to make the best out of any situation while traveling. However- This hotel is TERRIBLE and I am actually considering switching hotels and forfeiting the money we already spent on our booking. We only checked in a few hours ago.
We usually stay at the Fairmont, but we had enough airmiles for 2 nights at this hotel, so we figured we would use them.
We landed in Toronto around 10:00 am, and by the time we got to the hotel it was 11:00. The girl at the front desk says " check in is at 3:00, there are no rooms available right now, but if you pay $65 we can put a rush on the cleaning and have one in 10 minutes". I told her I had called last night and asked about availability, and was told there were many rooms available. So how was it possible every room was booked so fast? This is also on a Tuesday, so it didn't make sense. She said she would check with the manager. She came back and said "we have a room and can waive the fee. it is a room with 2 beds". I told her that was not what we booked and we wanted 1 king or queen. She said ok, we can do that. So suddenly they had a room available when 5 minutes before the whole hotel was booked? I guess she expected us to let her take advantage of our early morning flight and suck an extra $65 out of us. I asked how she got us a room when the hotel had no availability and she replied with "I'm just doing my job".. She also tells us that since we booked 2 nights with airmiles and 1 night with our credit card, that we would need to check out then check back in, which is an unnecessary hassle. We have booked the same way before and never had to do this.
Then we get our room, and I feel like I am in a cave. Our room is small, which is fine, as we won't be here much anyway. The room itself is OK, but nothing special. We have a tiny little window with a terrible "view" if that is even what you want to call it. It is dark and has a gloomy feel to it.
Never again will we waste our money/airmiles on this poor excuse of a hotel. The one and only upside is the fact the location is decent. Don't waste your time here, look somewhere else. There are many hotels in the downtown area that are far better.

Room Tip: Don't even bother!
2 Thank Amanda8925
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Amanda8925,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am truly sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Staying in this hotel I felt like I was staying in a hotel for the Munchkins. The room was in miniature. I've stayed in small hotel rooms in other large cities, NY, San Fran, but I think this beats them. From other pictures I've seen on here the other rooms look to have nice windows. We, however ended up in what I would call the janitors closet. I imagine this is what a hotel in Tokyo would feel like. Pretty much no natural light and small. **See pictures.

The halls are tiny so it's hard to pass people while pulling luggage. I expected more from the price we paid, which sounded like a deal at the time, but was the same price I would have paid anywhere for this hotel... I haven't tried the "free breakfast" yet. I hope it is some good food to make up for the lackluster surroundings.

Room Tip: If you get an end of the hall room, expect to feel like you're in the basement.
2 Thank vitonet
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear vitonet,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay with us. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Anthony M