“Good central location”

Ranked #53 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto
“Good central location”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great central location however checking in later in the evening made for a very confusing parking arrangement in the garage next door - payment was not obvious. Walking distance to the Eaton Centre and close to streetcars and subway made this an attractive location

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Sydney D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Sydney D,

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have stayed in a LOT of hotels in Toronto, and all across Canada. Never have I been so compelled to write a review so quick. It isn't often that I write a negative review, as I try to make the best out of any situation while traveling. However- This hotel is TERRIBLE and I am actually considering switching hotels and forfeiting the money we already spent on our booking. We only checked in a few hours ago.
We usually stay at the Fairmont, but we had enough airmiles for 2 nights at this hotel, so we figured we would use them.
We landed in Toronto around 10:00 am, and by the time we got to the hotel it was 11:00. The girl at the front desk says " check in is at 3:00, there are no rooms available right now, but if you pay $65 we can put a rush on the cleaning and have one in 10 minutes". I told her I had called last night and asked about availability, and was told there were many rooms available. So how was it possible every room was booked so fast? This is also on a Tuesday, so it didn't make sense. She said she would check with the manager. She came back and said "we have a room and can waive the fee. it is a room with 2 beds". I told her that was not what we booked and we wanted 1 king or queen. She said ok, we can do that. So suddenly they had a room available when 5 minutes before the whole hotel was booked? I guess she expected us to let her take advantage of our early morning flight and suck an extra $65 out of us. I asked how she got us a room when the hotel had no availability and she replied with "I'm just doing my job".. She also tells us that since we booked 2 nights with airmiles and 1 night with our credit card, that we would need to check out then check back in, which is an unnecessary hassle. We have booked the same way before and never had to do this.
Then we get our room, and I feel like I am in a cave. Our room is small, which is fine, as we won't be here much anyway. The room itself is OK, but nothing special. We have a tiny little window with a terrible "view" if that is even what you want to call it. It is dark and has a gloomy feel to it.
Never again will we waste our money/airmiles on this poor excuse of a hotel. The one and only upside is the fact the location is decent. Don't waste your time here, look somewhere else. There are many hotels in the downtown area that are far better.

Room Tip: Don't even bother!
2 Thank Amanda8925
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Amanda8925,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am truly sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Staying in this hotel I felt like I was staying in a hotel for the Munchkins. The room was in miniature. I've stayed in small hotel rooms in other large cities, NY, San Fran, but I think this beats them. From other pictures I've seen on here the other rooms look to have nice windows. We, however ended up in what I would call the janitors closet. I imagine this is what a hotel in Tokyo would feel like. Pretty much no natural light and small. **See pictures.

The halls are tiny so it's hard to pass people while pulling luggage. I expected more from the price we paid, which sounded like a deal at the time, but was the same price I would have paid anywhere for this hotel... I haven't tried the "free breakfast" yet. I hope it is some good food to make up for the lackluster surroundings.

Room Tip: If you get an end of the hall room, expect to feel like you're in the basement.
2 Thank vitonet
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear vitonet,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay with us. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Anthony M
Toronto
Reviewed August 16, 2013

normal service, very goog parking but very expensive. Bad view on the window of the room. Some little problems with the internet. The room was small.normal service, very goog parking but very expensive. Bad view on the window of the room. Some little problems with the internet. The room was small.normal service, very goog parking but very expensive. Bad view on the window of the room. Some little problems with the internet. The room was small.

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Dino O,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our property. It is always our goal to provide convenient and world class service to our guest. We apologize we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that these will be looked into and that your comments will be used to monitor future improvements needed.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Karen C
Milton, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The rooms are way to small,(they are terrible) and we were on the executive floor, we were on the 29 floor.I had bigger hotels in new york city, and we thought they were small but not as small as these ones.The worst hotel I ever stayed in.there are a lot of better hotels within walking distance of this hotel.The ice machine on the floor below us was out of service so they made me go all the way down to front desk to get ice (very bad customer service).We stay downtown toronto all the time never had a experience like this before.good location but thats it

Room Tip: A lot better hotels with in blocks
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear bill h,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Our goal is to provide clean and comfortable stay to all of our valued guest and make their stay a memorable one. We apologize fr any discomfort you may have experienced due to the size of the room and hotel amenities. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Zelyn N
Ajax
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Spent a weekend in the City, did some shopping, caught some shows and dined at a couple of Toronto's finest restaurants; I chose the Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre because of it's location, everything is within walking distance of the hotel, you could head South on Yonge St. to the Eaton Centre or waterfront area or the Entertainment district, or North to Bloor St. to the Yorkville area. It is located next door to The Loblaw Super centre grocery store which is amazing and a liquor store. The rooms are clean and very comfortable, for a big hotel in the heart of the city, it's quiet and the staff are courteous and very helpful. There's a lounge with entertainment if you want to chill out, also, there is a restaurant in the hotel and the chef is excellent. I highly recommend this hotel, it's excellent value!

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 15, 2013

First off, I would have given the hotel a hearty 3.5 stars if that were an option on the ratings scale, but it's not. So what pushed me to go for 4 rather than 3? Walk-in showers with the European-style detachable spa showerheads.
The Holiday Inn Downtown Centre is a more than fine place to stay, with the standard Holiday Inn offerings with a bit of big-city gloss. The lobby is large and busy, attractive but a bit dated-looking. My check-in was quick and friendly.
The four elevators to the room floors are perpetually busy, so expect crowds and waits from time to time. It was never too big a problem though.
My king single was compact, but the space was well-utilized. The large, comfy bed took up much of the space, but a decent work desk area, a mini-fridge, reasonable closet space and a safe also fit snugly into the room. Again, the king bed was very comfortable, with firm and soft pillows for different types of sleepers.
But for me, the highlight of the room was the bathroom, specifically the showers. I love hotels with walk in showers rather than tubs, and I really love it when they have the European spa showers with the detachable nozzles and multiple water pressure settings. Kudos to the Holiday Inn on all counts.
I didn't eat any of the in-hotel food or sample room service, but I did have a drink with a friend at the nice, laid-back lobby bar. There's too much good food from every corner of the globe in the global village that is Toronto to eat in hotel restaurants.
The Holiday Inn has a great downtown location -- about 3/4 of a block from the Yonge-Carlton/College intersection and the College subway station. The all-hours circus atmosphere on Yonge Streeet is a few steps away, and it's a short walk to the Eaton Centre and Dundas Square, as well as the Church-Wellesley Village area and chic Bloor Street. Easy access to the subway and the College streetcar line make getting around the city easy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business