“Great one night stay”

Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
Ranked #48 of 135 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed for 1 night in June 2013. Hotel was clean, staff were very helpful and friendly. Got a room on a higher floor which was very quiet and looked newly renovated with a very nice (albeit small) bathroom. Room wasn't huge but typical for a downtown city hotel. Definitely would stay here again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,638)

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have lived in better hotels. Very good location though, Expensive breakfast, not free parking, I didn't have time to visit the swimming pool though. Room small but clean, and the bed very good and comfortable. If you want something not special and in a good price is a good choise.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Dennis7Malta,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. It is nice to know that you found our bed accommodations to be comfortable and location convenient. We always appreciate feedback from valued guests like you as this is our best means of knowing how we are doing and further improving on what we can offer.

Again, thanks for your comments and hope to see you soon!

Pam G

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Booked in advance and asked for a view with a king bed. They had no trouble taking my reservation. They just had a problem keeping my reservation. Room view was between two buildings and set back forty feet. What a joke. Asked to be moved. First they were, "booked solid". Asked a few days later. Was told that the only kings were the rooms with no view and all other rooms were double. Hotel has about 500 rooms and only 72 have king, all others are double?? I was in the hotel business and can see bulls*** coming a mile away. They kept saying to check back in the morning. Having been in the hotel business I know they don't want to move you unless there is a problem with the room that makes it un-inhabitable. BTW pool had enough chlorine in it to bleach your bathing suit white. I would sleep on the sidewalk before I stayed at another Holiday Inn...

Room Tip: Apparently if you want a view you better want a double...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Mark F,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the room assigned to you. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our biggest problem was the access into the building.
You have to go to the back of the hotel for wheelchair accessibility where you then use the intercom to gain service.

When we first got there, it took 15 minutes for them to come outside to assist us.
When my partner got on, it did not work at all. The stair lift took two tries to finally work, which was a bit mortifying for her because there was a huge group of guests also outside watching it all.

The second and third times also took at least 15 minutes to get assistance. I understand staff gets busy with other guests, but for someone with total dependence on this stair lift, it should be a bit of a priority.
On the third time needing assistance, with our luck, a manager(I think) happened to come by after we had waited quite awhile.
He pointed out a ramp just a bit further down that we could use.
The only problem with this accessibility is that the disabled guest has to have company with them, as that person then go inside and take an elevator to another part of the building and open the door where this ramp is located to let them in.
With the exception of that, it was way more convenient then waiting around for assistance.

On the day of check out, my partner went outside for a bit and wanted to come back in. She was not able to because no one came.
When I came out, she had waited almost half an hour and still no one there.

I understand the hotel is currently working on getting a proper ramp installed out front, but until then, I caution guests with total dependance of a wheelchair.

We requested a few items on two different occasions..the first time they brought the wrong thing and the second time, we did not receive it at all.

I did not eat there, so I can't comment on the food.

The room(wheelchair accessible, not a standard room) wasn't the cleanest I've seen of a hotel but not the worst either.
It was a decent size for an electric wheelchair to maneuver in, although a suggestion for the hotel is that the bathroom door should be a sliding one, as it was a bit hard to get around the regular door once inside the bathroom.

I was very happy with the location as it was close to everything we wanted to see, within walking distance.

I did not get to use the parking of the hotel because it was full. That is a huge problem for me because I figure a hotel should have it's own parking, that is used for GUESTS only.
I had to use the parking just down from them, and I ended up paying $80!! for two nights stay.
$20 for 12 hour increments!
I was expecting to pay $25 a day that was quoted on the website.

Overall, I might use this hotel again, but not until I know for sure it is 100% accessible.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear K S,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel in the area. Please accept our sincerest apology for the service you encountered that did not live up to your expectations and the room accommodations you received was less than satisfactory. We also apologize you were not able to take advantage of our parking facility. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Good sized rooms with plenty of amenities - swimming pool, gym, good hotel lobby. Staff at front desk were very pleasant and helpful and gave us preferential check in as we were members of the IHG group of hotels. When we left the hotel late in the evening, the manager ensured that our luggage was safely stored, allowed us the facilities of the hotel when we came back late from Niagara Falls and really made us comfortable even though we had officially checked out of our rooms. That's great service!

Room Tip: Book early to get good rates - that's more important.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gohgohmobile
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The standard king size bed room is so tiny you can barely get between the desk [ at the end of the bed ] and the other side of the bed. Good points: large closet, refrigerator, nice linens. Pleasant staff. It was quite hot and humid, and the air conditioning worked at odd times. Sometimes not at all. There is a lovely roof garden on the 6th floor, if you don't mind the sound of air conditioning units while enjoying the flowers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear AmineBartholomew,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Average just about sums the experience up. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were very clean. The rooms were small, but that was expected. There was a generous supply of pillows for each bed, which was a nice touch. A problem is Carlton Street directly outside with all of its traffic. I didn't find it overly annoying at night or during the day, but others might find that to be annoying.
The bathroom stood out to me as being very modern and clean. Though it was small, it looked like something out of a designer magazine.
There were little problems that all places have. Inside the closet is the mini fridge. But the closet door needs to be fully opened or else the door of the fridge will swing into the door. A minor annoyance. The bathroom door for our room didn't lock, though that wasn't an entirely huge problem, seeing as myself and the person I was staying with have respect for personal space.
We didn't get included breakfast with our package and found meals at the hotel were extremely expensive, but luckily there was Cora's Breakfast and Lunch directly across the street that had good prices and lots of food. There were other restaurants nearby that made dining easy.
A plus was the location, seeing as it was walking distance from the Eton Centre.
All in all, the hotel was average, nothing overly important popped out, but nothing terrible stood out either. I would easily go back for a second stay if I were in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Kal H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It is our pleasure to accommodate our guests needs the best way we can and we are so pleased you appreciate our staff as well as the cleanliness of our property. We apologize for the disappointment the room you had caused you. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. Despite your disappointment we do hope you will stay with us again when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Karen C