“Solid hotel with some great upscale amenities”

Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
Ranked #49 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect with this booking and I can happily say I was quite impressed. Beautiful lobby with a nice gift shop, spa (where I had an excellent "back-destresser" massage at a discount due to being a hotel guest), restaurant, bar. There was a great indoor pool with an attached outside deck, fitness center with around 6 cardio machines and a set of free weights. My room was a good size, very comfortable bed, both soft and firm pillows. The room was very clean and quiet. Beautiful bathroom with Bath & Bodyworks toiletries. No bathtub, but a large tastefully designed contemporary walk-in shower. I had a small issue with my key-card not being readable in the elevator, and the elevators were a bit slow (it seems elevator engineers are on strike in Toronto), however, any issue was resolved efficiently by the pleasant staff. I'll look forward to staying there again. Thanks, and great job to the staff of Holiday Inn on Carlton St, in Toronto!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre

Reviewed June 23, 2013

It is never a good start when the receptionist denies there is an executive floor when in fact there is one. It says so on the wall when you come out of the elevator on the 20F. That is if you're patient enough to wait for the elevator - this purports to be biggest Holiday Inn in Canada, and it must have the worst elevators. Always a five minute wait and always packed. At least two seemed to be out of order. Although I had a email from the hotel in advance comfirming I was to be located on the 'executive floor' I was put on the 6F. Very hot and very noisy - and that was before the workmen kicked off with their pneumatic drills at 07:00. The maids appear to work through the night - a little training in terms of keeping the noise down may come in handy. Last but not least the concierge recommended the Chinese restaurant directly across the road. All I can say is that he probably had never eaten there - it was terrible - or the kick back is significant. Would I return to the Holiday Inn? No, not ever.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark-choosy-chappy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Mark-choosy-chappy,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our apologies for the over all issues you may have experienced during your stay and any inconvenience our elevator services may have caused you. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We booked here as the first part of our honeymoon. We wanted a central location which we definitely got with this place.
We had been booked as a Standard Double room, which when we arrived at the room actually consisted of 2 smaller double beds-this being our honeymoon, we didn't plan on sleeping in separate beds, so we called to reception and they immediately upgraded us to an executive king size room for no extra cost.
The rooms were well sized and had everything you need to for a city trip.
We were very close to a TTC subway station, and it was easy to get around the rest of the city.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Getting of the airport bus at the Delta Chelsea and it is an maximum of a 10 minute walk, there is a subway station at the corner of Younge and Carlton there is also a tram stop on Carlton street too, the hotel is clean and has plenty of space at reception, there is a bar that sells food and a Starbucks as well off of reception the Starbucks had only just opened that monday when i stayed. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the beds made for a good nights sleep.
For cost compaired to other hotels in Toronto i would stay again as it was very good value for money and made for a pleasant stay in town.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have booked a room here when I find a great deal and simply need a place to crash. I have stayed here 3 times over the past 8 months. I prefer it to the Town Inn Suites. It is similar to the Ramada but I enjoy being close to subway and having a fridge in the room. The hotel is often busy. I have waited to check in and waited for elevators. The location of the hotel is ideal as it has everything within a block - liquor store, Loblaws, Bulk Barn, Shoppers Drug Mart, breakfast greasy spoons, coffee shops, College Street subway, movie theatre, convenience store and pubs. It's a nice little area if you wish to take a stroll (major police station is a block away). The rooms are small but have everything you need - including a mini fridge, ironing board/iron, updated washroom with shower only (no tub). There is security present so you do not see much rowdiness from other guests. You need to use the room key to get up the elevators now. My internet connection worked fine. I am totally picky about cleanliness of rooms and I had no issue here. I would recommend the hotel if you are simply looking for an affordable place to crash.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from elevators with little traffic past it as the sounds of hallway are heard in...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I only stayed here one night but comparing rooms to the Marriot nearby, they were better accessorized (e.g. mini bar), and had a nice shower (both design and usage). It seems they are currently renovating so that might be the reason the room was nice and seemed new.
Being a gold member I received a late checkout without any need to persuade or "beg". Parking was 25$ per night, just 2 $ cheaper than at the Marriot.

I did not try the breakfast so I have no idea how it is...

Overall, I would recommend staying here.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We booked three rooms for three couples in June for four nights. The location is very good and a reasonable walk to much of everything. The service was very good and the rooms were clean and well represented. Many restaurants, shops, cafes and pubs in close vicinity. We were very pleased with the exception of the elevators. This place accommodated many rooms on twenty-three floors but only has four elevators, and one that was not dependable.We stayed on the 19th floor and had to wait over twenty minutes for an elevator one day and when it arrived, it stopped on almost every floor on the way down, only being to loaded and not able to cram any more bodies onto it. One elevator stopped on the 11th floor and just did not go anywhere from there. We all had to exit and wait for another to the floor.
I don't know if this issue is on going but it prevents me from giving this a better rating and recommending this for a stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Rick K,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so pleased you liked the room accommodations and service you received. Your comments encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Please allow us to apologize for the experience you had with our Elevator and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Ontario, Canada.

Anthony M