“Would definitely return; good value for money”

Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
Ranked #48 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I loved this hotel; we got a very good rate with Hotwire. Room was modern and cosy. Bed was comfortable and the hotel is very centrally located with lots of restaurants along the street, as well as a large Loblaws supermarket a few doors down. Subway is also just a few minutes away. Car park is CAD25 per night which is normal for Toronto but makes a few days stay rather expensive. The garage is also a very tight fit and was somewhat nerve wracking to park in.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,628)

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband & I & our 2 kids (ages 5 & 7) stayed here for 2 nights last week. Yes, the rooms are tiny, but they are well-designed. We were pleased with how clean the rooms were, & my kids loved the pool area. The location was great: very close to Eaton Centre.
One area of concern: when I was researching hotels in Toronto, a review of this particular hotel mentioned that the fire alarm went off during the night. Well, during our first night we too were awakened by an alarm! Does this happen often at this hotel? Very strange.
Overall, though, we were pleased, and will likely stay here again. As Priority Club members, we got special perks and stayed on the Priority Club floor, which was quiet and had a great view of the city!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ejfamily007
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This holiday inn is a nice newly refurbished hotel! the location is very good and central just around the corner from Dudas Square! The negative points were : The shower pressure was so low I thought I' d be doing dry cleaning! the water was almost cold and dont expect shower gel bring your own as they only offer a small awfull soap! The heating system was out of control! 2 options I found too hot or off ?...see previous reviews! Anyway since I had my own shower gel and I got over the water issue I had a great stay! I thought the staff were nice at breakfast ( cheap looking items!:-) )and concierge too. Overwall it is a nice hotel if you get a nice deal online! Let me finnish by saying the beds were very confortable too!

Room Tip: Rooms are very small !
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We were due to stay in Toronto again, this time for the Easter long weekend, and after briefly exploring other hotels just to change things up, we decided to go yet again with this Holiday Inn, the third time in about a year. We were glad that we did.

I was once again greeted by Steven, who recognized me instantly and welcomed me back. He bumped us up to an Executive King room, and arranged to have a crib sent up (which actually beat us there, as I had to go back down to the car first). He also gave us a free breakfast voucher, and most surprisingly, when we came back to the hotel after dinner, he had sent up a half-dozen delicious chocolate-covered strawberries to our room!

I'm not going to say that everyone will get like treatment; we certainly did not the first couple times we stayed (save for the room bump - they've given us a king each time. More on this later). This was our third stay in a relatively short period of time (in hotel years), we had booked through the rewards website and (to the degree they actually track this) had written positive Tripadvisor reviews on our first two stays. Perhaps that might have factored into the perks we received this time around.

Outside of the great treatment provided by Steven and front desk staff, we again enjoyed:

1. Great location. This time, we took an easy walk north went shopping on Bloor street - my wife wanted to hit the Holt Renfrew. This HI is also close to the Eaton centre, and has an awesome Loblaws right next door and a metro on the corner. We also had easy drives to Yorkdale mall and the Ontario Science Centre from this location. A great base camp for Toronto adventures.

2. Underground self-parking with in-and-out privileges. At only $25 a day, it's a pretty good deal, especially as you don't have to tip a valet every time you exit/enter. The parking system will also save you a space if you decide to head out. Note that the parking entrance is behind the HI on Wood Street - there's a HI sign there that you should be able to see pretty clearly.

3. Free wireless internet. It's quite dependable, and fast enough to stream netflix (though it did boot me off from time to time). The passwords seem to change on Mondays, so don't be surprised if you have to call down for a new one (which was no problem).

4. Our baby, who is pretty happy-go-lucky to begin with, always enjoys himself here. It may be because the toilet rolls are well within his reach and he likes to play with them :-). Front desk staff also gave him a couple toy cars to play with.

Just to balance out this review, here are a few things which could use improvement:

1. Pillows aren't great. They're the short ones (length-wise), so you might have to place your head pretty perfectly in the centre of it, and you might roll of it during the night. You may be better off bringing your own if you're road-tripping here and can afford the space in your car.

2. Staff mood varies. Steven is phenomenal and I wish he were at every hotel at which I checked in. The same can't be said for the housekeeping staff - some are friendly; one in particular however (who I think we've run into before) won't even make eye contact and treats our presence like an inconvenience. Some light interpersonal training for staff might go a long way here.

3. Breakfast buffet was solid but not amazing. I very much liked the variety, which included the standard hot items (bacon, eggs, sausage, etc) as well as fruits, yogurt, milk, and cereal - something for everyone. The service was also excellent, as all the wait staff were extremely friendly and quick to help. The quality of the hot items however was pretty average; with the cost being about $18 per person, you may be better off looking for alternatives locally. You can get a pretty decent hot breakfast for much cheaper at the Loblaws next door. Still, if you're in a rush, or just being lazy, this is not a bad option.

One final note. I've never been able to book a king-bed room at this HI online, whether it be Expedia or the rewards website. If you run into this issue and want to get a king-sized bed, Steven recommends calling right after the reservation is made and asking for the switch over the phone.

In conclusion: I don't know if HI has a flagship property, but I would say this should be it. Great service, and an amazing central location makes this a tremendous value for the price paid. I would very much recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank WarrenY-5
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A nice hotel close to the Younge Street. The University Metro Station in less than one block away. The room was nice and adequate in size, not too big not too small. It doesnt include the breakfast. The wi fi iconnection was good but if youre using it for more than an hour it will start to disconnect, at least for me. On the bright side, it was very close to the Village (gay area) in Toronto. Also it have a very nice (and big) supermarket down in the corner. For me, the location eas the best part of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Proximity to the College Street subway station makes this Holiday Inn a good choice for downtown accommodations. Combined with free Wi-Fi and modern upgrades, you have comfort and convenience at competitive rates. The rooms may be small, and the bathrooms even tighter, but their comfy beds and pillow options make for a pleasant stay although one of the rooms had odors emanating from the shower drain. Besides looking into some minor plumbing issues, improvements can also be made to staff service, which was inconsistent at best. If planning any meetings or events here, beware of invoices that are hard to decipher.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank monkeyface09
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear monkeyface09,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is nice to know you were able to take advantage of our convenient location. My apologies for the issues you had with your room accommodation and the service you received. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Toronto you will give our hotel another try.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The only positive about this Hotel is the location....rooms are small and overheated and the ice machines don't work. Check your credit card after check-out because if not you could be charged for damages that weren't done by you.This happened to us and after 3 days of dealing with staff members who seemed to be making up different stories as to what the charges were for, we finally had the $300 reversed (Hotel Manager agreed there were no damages!!).
Priority Club members are supposed to get extra perks, which included 2 warm bottles of water (for 2 rooms) and an ice machine that didn't work....
My adivce to anybody that stays there is to take a good look around the room and call the Front Desk right away for anything that isn't perfect (stain on carpet, crack in furniture) if not you will end up being charged!!
Too bad because we have had good experiences with Holiday Inns in the past...but won't be returning to any Holiday inn.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else....can't adjust the temperature in the room so unless you like to sleep in a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Summertime1967
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Summertime1967,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.