“Very Small rooms and Slow Wifi” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre

Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
Ranked #50 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Brampton, Canada
“Very Small rooms and Slow Wifi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Checked in for one night to watch downtown festivities in Toronto.

The previous reviews are correct:
1) Rooms are extremely small .Its the smallest Holiday Inn room we have ever stayed in.
We were told even the suites are the same size except that the suites have 1 King Size bed instead of 2 double beds.This reminds me of rooms in Tokyo.The only difference in rooms are if you will be given upper (Priority Card holders) or lower floors;
2) Wifi is very slow. We had to request for a cable for my laptop in order to access wifi in the room
3) The corridors are very narrow.
4) The parking lot which you access through Wood Street(turn right along Yonge) is quite small and squeezy. If you have a bigger car I suggest you park elsewhere;(Loblaws parking next door)
5) Parking is $25 overnight
6) Room is very warm. I hate to stay here during summer;Probably wont even consider staying here because of the room size.

Positive Points:

1) Its right beside the big Loblaws store and Maple Leaf Gardens.
2) Just a few km(walking distance) from Eaton Centre
3) Right smack at the center of downtown Toronto
4) Has Bath and Body Works toiletries(which Holiday Inn carries)
5) Good size bathroom
6) As Gold Premier Card member we got 2 bottles of water and a box of chocolates , free local calls and late check out (2pm)

We stayed at Courtyard Marriot along Yonge street (which is just one street away) last year and Courtyard has double the size of our current room with the same price we paid.

Room Tip: 1)If you are a gold member they will upgrade you to a higher floor. 2)If you have a bigger car, par...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank betty l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our hotel room was cozy but comfortable. There was not a spec of dust to be seen and the service was quick, efficient and friendly. The room itself was nice and well equipped with a flat-screen tv and two double (not queen) beds. It was a little small but it included the often deal-breaking free-wifi in the room - awesome. The hallways were narrow as well. Generally no complaints except we couldn't control the temperature in our room which was a little on the warm side. We stayed with a corporate rate, so in that respect it was excellent value at an excellent location.

Room Tip: If you're more than two people, upgrade to queen beds. The rooms are a bit tight, so that extra...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Thomas B
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Only here one night, it is right beside the old Maple Leaf Gardens. It is an older building that they have updated. The entrance way is still old but it is much more modern once you get inside. They have a Priority desk at check-in so there was no waiting. I was recognized as a Platinum member and the young lady was very nice and presented me with a goodie bag with water and chocolate.

The hallways were quite drab and the room itself was quite small, however the room was very well put together, modern fixtures and furnishings, again a small bathroom with just a shower (it was a beautiful shower though) which is fine with me, but a very lovely room with lots of towels.

Really the only issue was that I booked a room with 10,000 bonus points package (so I spent extra) and still no credit for those points despite 2 e-mails and it has been over a week since I stayed there (hope I'm not getting ripped off)..

1 Thank tailes2
Alain M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Tailes2,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us.
I see that you mentioned you have not gotten your poaints yet.
Could you please contact me directly at a.monnard@hitorontodowntown.ca and provide me with your stay details and PCR information.

I will personally call the Priority Club Helpdesk and have them credit you the points you earned while with us.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Alain
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We only stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown for one night but we enjoyed our stay. The room was overpriced if you ask me, but I know that has more to do with the location being right downtown Toronto. Staff were helpful, room was clean, no complaints.
Guest services were very obliging to give us a late check-out and even hold our luggage until late that night. Much appreciated.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rach_cain
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is my 2nd review. When I visited last year, the Maple Leaf Gardens complex next to the hotel was a huge construction site, very messy and loud. Carlton Street seemed kind of forlorn to me, despite the fact that the hotel is close to busy Yonge St.

What a difference a year has made. The massive Loblaw's supermarket inside Maple Leaf Gardens is absolutely amazing. I spent two nights at the hotel while on a business trip. I got food for dinners and breakfasts at Loblaw's and ate in my hotel room. Because one night was election night in the USA, I was perfectly happy to dine in the room while watching TV. And Loblaw's selection of freshly made food is staggering... everything from sushi (excellently prepared) to pasta dishes, pizza, salad bar, etc. And they sell some of the best gelato I have ever had -- made on the premises. Upstairs from Loblaw's there is an LCBO store, so I was able to buy beverages to go with my dinners.

Because of this store, Carlton Street is now busy with pedestrians throughout the day and evening. The whole area seems more lively now. In addition to Loblaw's there must be 10 moderately priced restaurants within a block: sushi, schawarma, diner food, etc. Other reviewers have noted that there is a fair amount of traffic on Carlton, so a higher floor is desirable. This time I was on the 14th floor, and traffic didn't bother me.

I made minimal uses of the hotel's services, but I like the secured garage. And my room was excellent and clean. So my second visit to this hotel was great, and I will be happy to return in the future.

2 Thank AndyAtl
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I would like to thank Holiday Inn staff for accommodating me on (Nov-03-12 Rm 1004) my last day stay in Toronto although most hotels downtown are sold out, waiting on big line to check-in is worth it because F/D staff and manager are very friendly and polite (Ms Encarnacion Trainee) who welcome me with the smiling face and provide briefly details about the hotels facilities and make me feel home and relax. I will unequivocally recommended this hotel for pleasure or business and yes i will stay here again on my next trip next year Vielen Dank !!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Deuchlandzn
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This Holiday Inn has been recently renovated and it looks great. However, if you get a room facing Carlton below the 6th floor you may want to move up or to the other side of the building. The street cars never stop running and you can count on hearing them and keeping you awake all night.
While the first impression upon entering your room leaves you to believe that it a very well appointed and clean room, it's actually not. As a former Executive Hospital Housekeeper, I was appalled when I went into the bathroom. There was still hair on the floor and in the bottom of the shower from the previous brunette occupant. This tells me that the floor wasn't mopped, nor was the shower stall cleaned very well. So needless to say, don't stand on the floors in bare feet as you may come away with more than you came in with.
One nice feature of the very comfortable King size bed is the choice of soft or firm pillows ( even though the tags were reversed). While the room does have free Wifi, it's easy to connect too but the speed varies constantly from 24mb to 54mb. The room also has a nice LG flat screen TV unfortunately, it's connected to Rogers cable and the reception was of a quality similar to that found with rabbit ears.
My wife and I decided that we would dine in so we went down to the Calton Dining Room. Luckily, the menu was posted outside the entrance. That was a good thing. Seeing the prices sent shivers up my spine. I don't care how fancy you dress up a Club House sandwich, there is no way I will ever pay $18 for it or $12 for a hamburg. Your best bet is to eat in one of the restaurants across the street which is what we opted to do. You have several choices including a very nice Chinese restaurant and Cora's for breakfast or the Golden Gridle.
On the plus side, the staff were all very friendly and quite helpful. The underground parking is convenient but priced about the same as most hotels in Toronto at $25 a day. The confusing aspect is that of the 4 elevators, only one goes to the parking garage.
There is also a very nice pool on the 6th floor that you owe yourself a visit.
Overall it's not a bad choice for both the price and the convenient location. It would be an excellent hotel if management paid attention to those little details that bug the hell out of me. The Executive Housekeeper need to put an effective quality assurance program into place.

Room Tip: Go high or opposite to Carlton Ave
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Technobody
Alain M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Technobody,

Thank you very much for your review and the information you provided us with.
I apologize for the cleanliness issues you had in your washroom. We do place a very high focus and effort on our cleanliness and we can normally pride ourselves on our high standards. We will be looking into your comments and we will ensure that all of our staff is adhering to our stringent cleaning policies and procedures, all the time, every time!
I would like to get further information from you in regards to your room and I would appreciate if you could contact me via e-mail at a.monnard@hitorontodowntown.ca
I am sorry to read that our restaurant pricing kept you from dining with us. Chef has a great menu filled with a delicious array of meals that would definitely have helped with your hunger. I will pass on your comments in regards to the prices to our Food and Beverage Director.
We are currently in the process of upgrading our internet services to fibre optic cable. This will ensure that you have the highest upload and download speeds available at all times. This should be completed by early 2013.
Thank you as well for acknowledging our great staff. They really do enjoy their jobs and they love assisting our guests, so it is always nice when they get this recognition directly from our guests.
I appreciate all of your comments and I will be sharing them with my team and with all departments so that we can continue to improve our services and offerings so that we can create a great experience for all of our guests.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again the next time you visit.
Until then, take care and best wishes.
Alain