“Great service before and after my stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre

Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
Ranked #54 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, ON
“Great service before and after my stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

As a transplanted Torontonian currently living in Europe for my job, I rarely play tourist in my own city. But when I found myself in town and in need of a room for three nights, this hotel's good rates and central location convinced me to give it a try. I'm not sorry for a number of reasons. The room was clean, contained two double beds, a desk and a sleek shower. The WiFi was free and fast and you'll get a free Globe and Mail newspaper in the morning, too. The central location makes it easy to get everywhere, either by subway, streetcar or on foot, and it's surrounded by everything you'll need. For breakfast, try Cora's across the street. You'll enjoy a hearty breakfast (crepes and omelettes are a specialty) with ample fresh fruit. Line ups move fast, so don't be intimidated on weekends and don't miss the free maple sugar fudge at the cash on the way out. There's a movie theatre right next door to the hotel (get $5 tickets on Tuesday). And if you're not familiar with Joe Fresh (an inexpensive Canadian clothing brand) you can find an outlet (along with an LCBO) in the new Loblaw's at the corner of Carlton and Church. You can also stock up your empty hotel room bar fridge with snacks for your stay. What made the hotel even better in my eyes was the service I received AFTER my stay. I realized after checking out that I'd left a necklace in the bathroom. When I called, I got a terrifically friendly and efficient employee on the phone. Joe contacted housekeeping, secured the necklace, and made sure it was safely in the manager's care to be picked up by me. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Many rooms on higher floors, facing Carlton, have views of the CN Tower.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TravellerfromTO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Canton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel is clean and in a good location. The front desk staff and concierge were very nice and helpful. Nothing fancy here but if you're just looking for a clean, nice place to sleep and shower this is it. I only rated the sleep quality as average because the mattress in our room was firm - great for my husband but I prefer a softer bed.

Room Tip: We were on the 11th floor and heard nothing from the lobby and bar areas.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I booked a room for a 3 night get-a-way directly on the Holiday Inn website for a great rate that included breakfast. The hotel itself looks very new and modern as if it's been recently renovated. It's located at Carlton & Yonge which is a great location in the city (and just down the road from stop #2 on the City Sightseeing Toronto double decker bus tour). We parked in the underground parking garage for $25/night - the entrance to the garage is directly around the back of the hotel. The staff was all very friendly and welcoming as several other reviewers have stated. Our room was on the 11th floor and it was quiet with no problems. The room was beautiful and well appointed. It had a corner desk which was perfect for my laptop (free wi-fi). It had lots of storage space - a closet for hanging clothes and a closet with dresser drawers plus an additional cabinet under the flat panel tv. We had a king size bed which was heaven compared to the double that we share at home with our two cats. There was a small fridge perfect for left overs & sodas (no microwave unfortunately for warming up those left overs). There were night stands on both sides of the bed which my husband and I really appreciated. The usual amenaties were included - ironing board w/iron, coffee maker, blow dryer. My favorite room was the bathroom. It had a beautiful, huge shower with glass doors, marble countertops with cubbies cut out below perfect for all of your toiletries. It's a perfect use of space. At most hotels you either have to keep most of your items in your bag on the floor, or strewn all over the sink. I was quite impressed overall. We did enjoy the pool one day and it was quiet, clean and inviting with a nice outdoor area nearby and a small exercise room with some nice equipment all located on the 6th floor.

Suggestions for hotel:
exhaust fan in bathrooms
an additional towel rack in the bathroom
small microwave if possible - or maybe one in a public space such as near the ice machines?

Last, but not least - the breakfast was amazing. The dining room was plenty big enough - we never waited to eat. It's a buffet style set up with fresh fruit, cereal, bagels, toast, eggs, hashbrowns, bacon/other meats? (I didn't do meat so it might vary day to day), pancakes or waffles, plus maybe 1 or 2 items I'm forgetting. The wait staff was very friendly and checked on us frequently to make sure we had everything we needed. They brought orange juice and coffee to our table. It was such a great way to start every day. We highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again ourselves.

1 Thank MRM1979
Alain M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear MRM1979,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your recent stay with us.
My team and I are very happy to hear that you enjoyed all apsects of your stay; from the room and the amenties/factilites, to the buffet breakfast and service from all departments.
We have a great team here that are always eager to please all of our guests and it is very rewarding when we read such a fantastic review.
Thank you again and I hope that the next time your vacation plans bring you to Toronto, that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

PS. By then we will also have a microwave room as you suggested.

Warm regards,
Alain
Pembroke, on
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

If your looking for a hotel that's close to downtown for a reasonable rate, Holiday Inn is your best choice. 1 block to the Subway, close to any amenities you need. Easy to get to, lots of parking. Friendly staff, clean rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ChrisPembroke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is on a great location just off Younge Street, so it is easily walkable to shops, restaurants, CN Tower, St Lawrence Market, the harbour and much more. There is a metro stop nearby if you prefer.
The rooms are a good size, the carpets and bathrooms seem very new and it's very comfortable.
There are lots of coffee shops and a Loblaws very nearby for reasonably priced breakfast and snacks.
The staff are friendly and helpful, and the lobby clean and bright.
The car park is big, but costs $25/night, plus taxes.
We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Delberto84
GALE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

The hotel was a standard business / tourist hotel. We were in room 2023 on 20th floor, from 07/09/2012 to 10/09/2012. £366.00p, for 3 nights. The hotel was well positioned for us 100 yards from Yonge Street subway, and then a straight walk down to the water front. There was nothing wrong with the hotel itself. But Toronto has many people living rough and early one morning there were 3 men sleeping in a doorway opposite the hotel entrance, where one got up stretched and then urinated in a door way at around 7.00am. We originally booked the Ambassador hotel but changed to the Holiday inn on advice from T.A. that that area was a little rough. Yonge street seemed to have a beggar on every corner. Toronto is not a pretty town, all though lots of money has been spent on the waterfront and the financial district, but further up Yonge street shops were a bit rough and meals and drinks were overburdened with city taxes and expectation of 15%-20% tips We found all other cities we visited in Niagara and USA including New York to be much better value.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have done a few hotels in the Great Toronto Area and this one was simply outstanding...not only on renovated rooms and dinning area (which are very nicely done) but on the service from ALL STAFF MEMBERS who where extremely polite and nice to me. From the cleaning ladies to the concierge, a smile and Have a nice day or Hello was always provided....

Congrats to the management of this hotel...They know how to motivate their staff so that hotel guests feels like at home and are treated as important visitors.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business