“Great Location”

Ranked #50 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Winnipeg
“Great Location”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was my first trip to Toronto and was very happy with our stay at this hotel. We were in Toronto for a Volleyball Canada tournament so the reservations were made by our team's manager. We were able to get a group rate which was less than I expected to pay in Toronto.
I was very pleased with the location of the hotel. It is right beside the old Maple Leaf Gardens which was converted to an amazing Loblaws. The building maintained it's historical character and the supermarket was an attraction in it's self. It came in very handy to be able to pick up high quality deli food instead of eating out every meal.
The sub way is steps from the front of the hotel and we rode it to sight see such attractions as the Sky Dome and CN tower.
Also, Eaton Centre is a mere 10-15 min walk from the hotel.
As for the hotel itself, the decor is very new and trendy. Beds are very comfortable. The only negative thing I would say is how tight the space is. Walking down the halls with low ceilings felt tight. The rooms utilize the space very well but in order to get to the 2nd bed, no one can be sitting at the desk/counter space at the foot of the beds.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank winterpeg4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed for one night during Pride (night of June 30-July 1 2012), which also happens to be Canada Day weekend. This hotel is located right by the gay village (and close to everything else), so the location can't be beat.

The hotel was clean and renovated, which was nice. And the wifi was free, also a plus.

HOWEVER, the hotel doesn't 'guarantee parking' - which we didn't know about (booked through an agency)... and ended up spending $60 parking in the public lot because the hotel parking was full. I can't imagine why or how a hotel doesn't have parking, or at least have an arrangement with the privately-owned parking that's adjacent to the hotel. We had to pay $20 every 12 hours because it was a 'special event rate'. Unacceptable from a customer service perspective for hotel guests.

The air conditioning didn't work. It was 78f/25.5c... scorching.

The doors on all the rooms squeaked, which made for some nasty wakeup calls. A little WD40 on those hinges would go a long way.

The bathroom fan didn't work, which didn't help the temperature in the room after a shower.

Probably wouldn't stay there again unless pressed. The Courtyard Marriott is just around the corner and is a better bet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Very nice newly updated hotel that offers a great location downtown Toronto. Very friendly front desk staff. Breakfast was excellent, but they charge you for parking which I was not a fan of. Nice pool and outdoor patio. Centrally located, close to good bars, restaurants and attractions. Overall, a great choice!

7 Thank 68Trippy_N
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Had a lovely weekend at the HI Downtown! Great location on Carlton, easy to reach all major subways and attractions! Rooms are spotless and modern, free wifi sometimes slow but still good! Had no trouble sleeping at night even though room faced busy Carlton Street! Comfy beds!
Would def. come back whenever in Toronto again!

8 Thank Moni_56
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The hotel was great - for a first time in Toronto, the 18th floor provided comfort and tanquillity. Ok, we were there during a hear wave and we could hear all the A/C's on the block, but what do you expect ? it was hot outside ! but our A/C worked well and with the availability of a mini fridge to store bottle of water we bought at the Loblaws supermarket next door in the old Maple Leaf arena, we had a great stay.

HOWEVER : there is the Ceasar Spa on the main floor that I beleive the space is rented out to them. having worked in a spa as a salon assitant in my early university years, there are a few things I do look out for ( sanitary practices, getting your bang for your buck, technique )... we got a massage, facial, pedicure & manicure. The massage felt great ( full body), however the therapist messed up my neck and shoulders ( its been 5 days since the massage and i'm still hurting). the facial was a joke. instead, buy a facial mask at Loblaws and administer it yourself in the comfort of your hotel room ( i was expecting a little more than one of those cotton masks that you unfold with the eyes and mouth parts punched out.). the pedicure and manicure were very superficial - surface cleaning, a foot scrub lighter than what you would get by walking on a sandy beach, and no evidence of sanitation to the instruments used ( it would not suprise me if they were not cleaned between clients). a metal instrument falls on the floor and the manicurist picked it up and continued to use it on my friends hands.

So, go to this Hotel - it was great, a few steps to public transportation, walking distance to great shopping in the area, but avoid the spa.

Room Tip: 18th floor - no complaints !
1 Thank Chantal T
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Holiday Inn on Carlton is the perfect location. Right between Yong and Church Streets. One block from subway station. Hotel lobby is very nice and the desk clerks very helpful. Elevators can be somewhat crowded and slow to arrive. Rooms are all remodled since my last stay a few years back when it was a Day's Inn. They are significantly smaller but comfortable. Not much room to walk around the beds and no seating area except for an office chair along the window desk area. Bathroom was clean and nice. Cleaning staff was very friendly. There is a safe and small fridge in the closet, which has room for a few hanging items and 4 small drawers. Fitness center is all but useless, unless you want a treadmill. There are a few very light dumbbells (up to 25lbs) one bench and 4 cardio machines. There is also a swimming pool on that level. Parking space inside the hotel is very difficult to get, and is about $25/day. There is another indoor parking garage right next door (rear of bldg) which we used and was about $23/day. Did not try the restaurant in the hotel as it never seemed to have any patrons and was a bit pricy. Stay clear of the Golden Griddle across the street!!! Horrible breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Lower floors for less elevator waits
2 Thank Jim A
Vancouver, BC Canada
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My first reaction was very good, but at check in my opinion started to decline. Within several seconds of getting to the front desk I asked if I could park in their garage. Before I had the word park.. out of my mouth I was told "No. We have no parking tonight and we did not guarantee we would have any parking. It's in the fine print, read it!" I was taken aback and thought this is obviously something that comes up all the time. I was bugged but felt hey, i will save on their outrageous rates and park on the street or a private lot. Well be forewarned the city of Toronto does not want to sell parking or even let you park on the street after midnight. The private parking lots only run their lots in 12 hour increments from 6 am to 6 pm or 6 pm to 6 am. This means getting up at 5.45 am to plug the meter at 6.01 am because it will not let you pay for the 12 hours in advance. Also, the meter's credit card function was not working so I needed a small sack of quarters and loons to pay my toll. Luckily I was only there two nights. It left a bad taste and as a result I cannot recommend this place and in the future I will probably spend the money on the Airport Shuttle rather than a car rental. Both of which cost about the same, less parking! To speak to the Hotel, aside from the parking it was ok until I went to sleep, at 5 am the city decided to power wash the sidewalks, even with the windows closed it was hard to bare. I know this is not the hotel's fault, but It didn't help my mood and I had to get up to plug the parking meter anyway so I guess it was destiny. The rooms were clean, new and obviously recently renovated, it does seem to cater to a young and party oriented clientele so this particular weekend it was a little hectic and busy. I guess the parking lot was full of Cadillac Escalades.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo