“Great Place for Pride!!!!!”

Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
Ranked #48 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I read some reviews and was shocked at how misleading they are. First of all, the bellman (and trust me I talked to all the boys) were attentive and very sweet. I saw one walking with his girlfriend (supporting pride = pro gay). He even gave me directions and walked me back to the hotel when he realized I was lost, and this is while he was off duty. So if you are going there and are dealing with a smiling curly haired beauty make sure to deal with him and he will treat you like gold. I had no issues with the front desk, everyone treated me with the upmost respect.

The only real downside was that the pool was not functioning and the hallway was warm, but that is trivial when faced with the best customer service I've been treated to.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Rusty1414
HITDC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

Thank you for your kind words - they have been shared with our team and in particular our bell staff and the individual you have recognized! I am truly glad to see you chose to stay with us during the pride celebration. We are proud to service and be associated with the LGBT community - our hotel is perfectly located beside Church Street! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

The location is good. The rooms are very well appointed with great bathrooms too. The only complaints I have are the size of the room, and the SLOW wireless internet. Service was excellent, all front desk staff were very helpful.Other than that this hotel is excellent, would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank cmd21700

Thank you for such a great review of our hotel! I am glad to see that you enjoyed our newly renovated bathrooms and that you took advantage of our great location. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by the wireless – the issue has been addressed. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed July 5, 2011

My Partner and I book in here for the Pride weekend and We couldnt believe the way we where treated. It only took my partner and I at least 2 minutes to figure out that the staff at this hotel had a problem with us being there. After watching the doorman open the door for others, but walking away and "finding other things to do" as we approached it I decided that the staff at reception were idiots. This action by the doorman happened on more than 2 occasions. Thank god it was automatic or we would have been struggling to get through the doors with our baggage.
I think the biggest problem for them was the fact that we are a same sex couple. Big deal!
It was the biggest pride weekend in north america. The room was small but ok and the food wasn't great. But I have had better. The staff need to get their heads out of their bottoms and learn some hospitality.

STAFF OF THE HOLIDAY INN if you are going to work in this industry, you have to accept the fact that it's a very diverse world and everyone has the right to be happy in it, and you need to give people the respect that they give you.

On leaving, we had been waiting at the counter with our bags to check out while the girl at the desk was on the phone, the same girl who had seen us coming and going througout our stay and ignored us on every occaision. After she had finished on the phone she asked us what we wanted!!! hahaha....how lovely. We were so very obviously waiting to check out.

What a sad attitude. I can only hope that she had some horrible demanding guests after we left. We were always polite to the staff and never gave them any attitude, it's not in our nature and why should we stoop to their level? We did leave a tip for the woman who looked after our room so nicely. I just hope that she actually got it. Although I will be making several trips to Toronto in the future, I will never stay at that hotel again.
I would like all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer/Questioning, 2 Spirited, Allies avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank WilliamPuller

Our hotel was very excited to play a key role in this year’s PRIDE event, and welcomed many of the event organizers and sponsors. We have heard nothing but positive comments from our guests who attended the PRIDE event, therefore I was truly saddened to read of your experiences as you have indicated on TripAdvisor. As you know, the hotel is literally in the heart of the Church Wellesley Village, and is extremely proud to support our neighborhood. If I may be of service to you, or if you wish to share your comments with me, please feel free to contact me directly.
Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed July 3, 2011

It was not like we were staying in Room 13 but this was the most awful hotel experience I've come across and I'm an adamant traveler.

After paying a considerable amount for standard room accommodation on a busy Canada Day weekend we were disgusted with what service was provided.

In a hotel where the hallways had a musty odor we walked into a tiny two bedroom (double-bed room) where we could barely put two suitcases which we as travelers like to live out of.

The air conditioning did not work and if anything the room temperature increased over night while we were sleeping - it was better to leave the window open!!

Upon heat exhaustion (we stayed over the summer period) NO cups were supplied and we were drinking water out of our hands for the first initial nights!

We had just come from America and were traveling onwards to Europe so we had quite a bit of cash on us but NO SAFE to store our valuables.

Mind you, the bathroom was the best feature of the room which was well furnished but with minimal toilet paper usage the toilet of course got blocked.

Mind you there was a fire incident where we were evacuated onto the street and the lifts were inoperable for an hour or so.

We complained to reception and yes the toilet was unblocked and cups were provided but we were left waiting for a safe which never came and the air conditioning's primarily purpose remained and merely contributed to additional greenhouse gases.

No room upgrade could be provided other than a room up-size which however involved minus one bed (we would have to share)...btw Blackberry users - wifi service is not supported.

Would never stay here again and advise people not to!!

Maybe try Bloor St. if you like the 'Holiday Inn' chain.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Anony123Anon

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor we really appreciate receiving feedback from our guests as to how they found their stay. May I ask that you contact me at s.yates@hitorontodowntown.ca so I may follow up with you directly regarding our shortcomings? At Holiday Inn we pride ourselves on providing great service people love. Please be assured that the issues you experienced are being addressed. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed June 22, 2011

My co-workers & I chose to room at the Holiday Inn Downtown Toronto in Toronto, based on prior experence at other Holidays Inn, where we have always been pleased, but this particular Holiday Inn REALLY was Terrible. We rented 3 rooms on the 6th floor. One room was clean and fairly nice. Several of the rooms had a horrible odor that we believe was something from the garden outside the windows. one room had resident insect populations (ants & Flies). I opened the fridge door in the closet of my room and saw LOTS of dead flies. There was ants on one of the bed. The rooms were too cold. The breakfast was bad, you could have smashed a window with the scrammbled eggs, the staff seems scared to look at you, never mind talk to you. The drapes in one room flew off the track when I closed the drapes. And while a sign proclaims "Free wireless internet in all rooms!" the wireless signal is so weak that only a few rooms next to the elevators can use the wireless. Those of us with rooms further from the elevators had to walk to the elevators waiting area to check & recieve e-mail.
I will never lodge at this hotel again, and I strongly suggest that others avoid it.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
7  Thank 154995John
HITDC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2011

While we hate to read comments such as yours – we are grateful that you took the time to share your recent experience at our property. First things first – we are embarrassed that your experience fell short of our service commitment to each and every guest that comes through our doors. We sincerely apologize for this. We have isolated the source of the problem to some recent construction work that was being done on the 6th floor adjacent to the block of rooms you and your co-workers occupied. Since identifying the source we have closed off the 6th floor and called in the appropriate professionals to remedy the situation. The other issues are currently being looked into. We take all feedback that we receive very seriously. Once again, we regret that we did not measure up on your recent visit. I will be contacting you directly to assure that none of your comments go unaddressed. On behalf of the Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre I sincerely apologize.

Reviewed June 17, 2011

Stayed for four nights on business. I chose this hotel because it was a good price and only a short taxi ride from downtown where I had meetings. (And there's a subway station about 100 yards away, which would also have taken me there).

Can't really fault this Holiday Inn. Excellent decor. Newly refurbished. Bed very comfortable. Room small by north American standards, but OK for one person. Just a shower; but that is all I would use anyway. Very good chair for working at. Air conditioning worked fine - touched mid 90s while I wass there. I ate once in the bar: which was fine. Not cheap, but not bad. Food was good. I didn't use the restaurant. Did have breakfast in the coffee bar - twice - which was also fine; overlooking the street at the front. There is an indoor pool. Very clean and new. I used the fitness equipment, which all worked (which you can't always say).

Parking is via the street that runs along the back of the hotel - you have to pay. If you like very expensive shopping, Yorkville is a few blocks north. Plenty of good restaurants in the area.

Overall: very pleased. In fact, so pleased I have booked the hotel again this summer when I am back with the family for a few days.

5  Thank cphyde
HITDC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2011

Wow what a great review! It’s great to see that you enjoyed the new renovations, at Holiday Inn it our goal is to create Great Hotels Guests Love. We take great pride in our service, amenities and location our hotel has to offer. I look forward to welcoming you back this summer! Sincerely,

Reviewed June 16, 2011

I liked this hotel when it was the Day's Inn, but the extensive renovations have made it even much better! Well appointed rooms with all new fixtures and premium bedding. Wifi worked seamlessly.The rooms are not large, but well laid out. Great location, just off Yonge Street and just minutes walk to the Eaton Centre.Great buffet breakfast at a reasonable price.The best thing to do is to enter the parking garage at the rear of the building and check in after parking.For families I would suggest room 2225 and 2224, as they are behind a separate door (enter with the hotel key), allowing you to even leave the doors to the individual rooms open without anyone being able to access.

Room Tip: Rooms 2225 and 2224 great for families.
2  Thank CHNL

What a wonderful review of our hotel! Thank you for the kind words, I am always glad to hear when guests are happy with our renovations. It’s great to see you took advantage of our location, there are so many wonderful things to see and do in Toronto and we are located right in the heart of it all. We look forward to you returning soon!