Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
$271
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
1,673 results
All reviewsmaple leaf gardenscarlton streetcollege subway stationloblaws supermarketeaton centrerooms are smalltoronto downtowngay villageyonge stsmall fridgehigher floorconvenient locationcn towercoffee makerlcboconciergestreetcar
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I recently stayed at the "new" Holiday Inn on Carlton in Toronto simply because I stayed there when it was the "old"Days inn and found it to be a convenient location. WOW....what a nice surprise!! This is not your typical standard Holiday Inn. Rooms were very clean, decorated nicely, and had comfy beds which gave you a choice between firm or soft pillows! Staff members were extremely friendly, and polite. Makes for a nice experience when you are greeted with a warm, friendly smile! The restaurant "the Carlton" is not your typical Holiday Inn restaurant. Food was wonderful, but dessert was fantastic! I would go back just to eat at the restaurant (never thought I would say that about a Holiday Inn restaurant!) People who live in the area are lucky to have this restaurant right at their doorsteps! I am still shocked that this hotel is a Holiday Inn. We will definately return. Price is well worth the stay and wonderful service.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank smarttraveller2
HITDC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2011

What a wonderful endorsement of our Hotel! It is always a delight for me to read such positive reviews. I am glad to see that you took advantage of everything the Hotel has to offer. We are very proud of our newly renovated Hotel and always strive to deliver a memorable service experience to all our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Sincerely, Steve Yates – General Manager

Reviewed May 20, 2011

I recently stayed for 2 nights. The pluses - the hotel was conveniently located for public transit, my room was available when I arrived well before check-in time, and the staff were friendly. The internet connection was fine. On the downside, my room was apparently in a light shaft with only a small window with minimal light and the layout was nonsensical. In one corner was a small closet with sliding doors; the doors opened less than a foot, so that the back two-thirds of the closet couldn't be accessed, including the safe, yet the doors also would not stay closed. At a right angle to the closet was another closet containing a small fridge on top of a cabinet of drawers, however, because of the location of the closet door, the drawers would only open a couple of inches. Surely some one noticed this in the redesign of the hotel? One day I left early in the morning and returned after 5:00 pm to see that a housekeeper had made the bed, gathered the wastebaskets up in the middle of the room and gathered up the used towels in the middle of the floor, then left. It was clearly past regular housekeeping hours, and they weren't coming back. I called the front desk, and two different employees came to tell me that I must have misunderstood, and offering a number of excuses for why the cleaner simply didn't do her job, but eventually the room got cleaned. Then there was the fire alarm early in the morning...... It will take a great price to entice me back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 19, 2011

This hotel's current position in the ranking is only due to the fact that it only opened a few weeks ago. It rightly deserves to enter the top quartile as quickly as possible.

This is one of the best Holiday Inns I've stayed at and as a current Priority Club Platinum member in my tenth anniversary year, I have stayed at many of their properties, so feel well positioned to judge.

All the staff were most welcoming and personable. From the front desk team to the restaurant staff, the maintenance crew to housekeeping personnel, you were made to feel very welcome and valued. Twice I ate breakfast with a view of the reception area. Most guests I saw left the reception area with smiles on their faces.

The restaurant is worth mentioning. If you're familiar with the North American Holiday Inn brand, this hotel breaks the mould. The restaurant decor is modern and of a much higher quality. The breakfast menu is the same as you would see in US properties, with one or two Canadian additions. The buffet option at CAD17 is very good value and you can eat well from the a la carte menu for around CAD5 more. The buffet selection is very good and all the food was well presented and served piping hot. All the restaurant staff deliver a high level of service. While waiting for my breakfast to arrive on one day, I was offered a newspaper to read and on my fourth morning, I was greeted by a handshake from one waiter.

Do eat dinner at least once in the hotel. Forget what you may recall about dinner in other Holiday Inns. The menu is unique to this property, with an excellent chef and a menu that will surprise you with it originality. The food was well presented. One night another guest expressed a wish to have a fish dish, but didn't see anything she liked. The waitress went off and spoke to the chef, who proposed an alternative using many ingredients that weren't on the menu that night. When this arrived, it looked just a good as the dishes that were on the menu that day and was well received.

The room I stayed in was very comfortable. I received my Platinum upgrade to a king-size room. My room had one of the bathrooms that just have a large walk-in shower, rather than a bathtub. The water was nice and hot and the pressure strong. The mirror was well lit and there were plenty of new white fluffy towels.

There is plenty of desk space in the room and - a first for me in a hotel - a blue recycling box alongside the regular trash can. And the large flat screen TV offered a wealth of channels and other online services. My room was also equipped with a small fridge too. Drinks from the vending machines on the guest floor were just CAD2.25 each.

If you need a printer, the business centre, off the very large lobby area, allows you to print a number of complimentary sheets, before a nominal charge kicks in.

The hotel is just a few steps from the College/Yonge underground station/street car interchange, so if you don't feel like walking in this very walkable city, you can get to most places very easily. If you take the not-so-express bus from the airport, take this to the Delta Chelsea Hotel stop, which is just a couple of blocks away from the Holiday Inn.

To balance my very positive review, there a couple of issues that the new management should address quickly.

Firstly, the free high speed Internet service was quite unstable. A few times each day, I would be thrown off and would need to log back in. One night the entire service stopped, confirmed to me as a server crash by the service provider's helpdesk. When it worked, the speeds were acceptable but it was difficult to rely on consistently.

Secondly, there was a trend to be disturbed every night by night personnel using their walkie talkies on their hallway patrols and housekeeping staff entering the housekeeping storage rooms, which were opposite the guest rooms on each floor. These interruptions would usually start around 1am and continue to around 3am. The hotel management can easily address this by reminding these staff members that guests are sleeping in the nearby rooms and to avoid talking in the corridors and letting doors slam behind them.

Overall though, this is an outstanding new addition to the Holiday Inn family.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank BritTraveller68

Thank you for your wonderful review of our Hotel! As the General Manager it is always a pleasure to receive positive feed from our guests and especially from one of our Priority Club Members. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant and that you found our staff to be welcoming and personable. Thank you for bringing to my attention the noise levels outside your room we do ask that all employees are quiet in the hallways at all times and I will be enforcing this rule more. I do apologies for any inconvenience the internet service caused you I, we are currently resolving the issue. We look forward to you returning soon! Best, Steve Yates – General Manager

Reviewed May 1, 2011

There is something in a name and the Holiday Inn is a hotel that I could rely on for good value and a decent stay. Our room was very clean and inviting. There was a choice of pillows for those that prefer soft and/or firm. The room was rather small but it was not a hindrance to our comfort. The location is smack in the middle of downtown Toronto and the subway is a three minute walk away. Early spring is a good time to travel and we got a great deal for our stay -- money well spent.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank schnugchi
HITDC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

What a fantastic endorsement of our hotel!! Thank you for your kind and informative words. I agree; spring is a great time to visit Toronto. We are very proud of our newly renovated hotel and look forward to providing more memorable home away from home experiences. Sincerely, Steve Yates – General Manager

Reviewed May 1, 2011

What a fantastic hotel, the place the staff where first class, it’s the
Best holiday Inn I have ever stayed in, I read this is the new branding of
The new holiday Inn and if this is the expectations, Watch out Four Seasons!!!!
I was in Canada for 18 days I stayed most of my time in this hotel.
First hotel I stayed in with a nice warm swimming pool, the bar was first class, and also the service was second to none.
My only poor point of the my stay was I had a billing issue and was directed to
The General Manager and his attitude was poor maybe he should take a leaf out of the rest of the staff. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Time_Traveller29

WOW!! What a fantastic review of our hotel, our staff and the services we provide at the Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre!! As the General Manager I take pride in taking care of all of our guests and employee experiences as well the overall integrity and success of the hotel. As I followed up directly to your concerns, I’d like to thank you for your personal response to my email, and wish you happy travels! Sincerely, Steve Yates – General Manager