“Don't do business with this hotel.”

Howard Johnson Inn Toronto Downtown West
Ranked #120 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Melbourne, Florida
“Don't do business with this hotel.”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I made a telephone reservation in April 2010 for a two week trip in October 2010. It was only when I got the confirmation e-mail the next day that the no refund, no cancellation policy was revealed, and they had already charged my card without my consent. I have been protesting this charge in writing since April; my most recent letter was to the Ontario Restaurant Hotel and Motel Association, 2600 Skymark Avenue, Ste. 8-201, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. This is the regulating government agency for hotels, motels, and restaurants in the province of Ontario. If you've had a bad experience with this property, be it with reservations or actually staying there, I encourage you to write your own complaint letter to ORHMA. The HoJo picked the wrong American to mess with!

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Kim201034433

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London Ontario
Reviewed August 25, 2010

This place is terrible. When I booked the room I specifically asked about parking because I was with my handicapped mother. I was told that parking was not a problem. Well it is no problem if you don't mind parking two blocks away in the ghetto and walking back to the hotel while carrying a thirty pound oxygen tank. There are no elevators so again getting to the room was a problem. When I told the front desk clerk that there was no way that we could stay there he said there were no cancellations. The manager was not there, of course, but I insisted that the clerk get him on the phone. I spoke to the manager and expressed my displeasure and he said that he would cancel the room and there would be no charge to my credit card. Well I opened my bill today and guess what the charge was still there!!!! After another 30 minute phone call to the hotel and hotels.com it turns out that I have to call back at 7 am tomorrow morning. The same clerk can't find my cancellation info and now I need to talk to the manager again. By the way this same clerk gave me a cancellation number which he wrote down himself and now he says that the number is not valid. So long story short DO NOT book this hotel unless you want to park in the ghetto and walk to blocks with your luggage.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank izzyizzy1
lancashire
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights last week , The room was FILTHY , blood and mould on the walls and carpet amongst other things ..the carpet was old and filthy . the room was full of bugs and ants and i was bitten badly . I had booked the hotel via Thomas cook and paid in advance a few days before , I can see now why this hotel wants the money upfront ! The hotel flatly refused to refund me even though it was only because the room was so bad ! ...Everytime i passed the front desk there was a customer there complaining , not that it does you any good , even after many calls to thomas cook and many complaints at the desk it got me nowhere and the promised visit to my room by the hotel manager just never happened . I didnt try the shower it was so disgusting i also didnt try the breakfast ( the lack of cleanliness in my room was enough to keep me away from the food ) ..the description of the hotel when i booked said newly renovated ...NO WAY ! everything was old and filthy . The air con was about 20+ yrs old had parts missing and didnt work very well and made an awful loud squeaking noise whenever it was on , the windows to the rooms dont open and my room was tiny so it was unbearably hot . also the area this hotel is in is surrounded by drug users, beggars and prostitutes , the only place nearby to eat is a macdonalds and you cant even eat in peace as you have a constant stream of beggars coming in asking for money of the customers . The staff at this hotel speak very little english and are not helpfull at all unless they are taking your booking or checking you in . there is also a main tram station right next to the hotel hundreds of trams there which run 24 hours a day and trams pass right outside the front door too ...so its very noisy .Please do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere ! this is the hotel from hell ! ...I will add pictures as soon as im back home in the uk .

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank chris142
Toronto
Reviewed July 2, 2010

I went there last monday with my boyfriend, and we stayed there for one night. They are really friendly and always smiling. Outside of the hotel, doesnt look very nice, but when you go inside its a very pleasant and beautiful place. Our room number was 201, Its the King's Bedroom. The room/space is hellah BIG! We payed $100.57 and we deposit $50. The place is quiet, safe and also clean. They also have a free breakfast: bread toast, muffins,fruits,coffe,juice,bagels.

I really really love this hotel and my boyfriend and I miss the place already, I will DEFINITELY BE COMING BACK AGAIN! I recommend this to anyone :)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple