“Needs Upgrading”

Howard Johnson Inn Toronto Downtown West
Ranked #125 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 14, 2013

It's the only hotel in the area of 'Roncee'. All decor and overall feel of hotel is tired. Have stayed there twice because it's near my Sister's apt - she has no room for guests. There appears to be some improvements in progress. However, Staff was very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here (January 2013) as a local cabbie recommended it for its location. I arrived around 2am so there was just a night clerk on duty who assisted me with my bags as there was no elevator. My room was freezing but I thought once the heat was turned on, it would warm up. Unfortunately, the heat wouldn't work so I called the desk and he brought up 2 portable heaters but both were broken. He then went looking for another heater and 15 minutes later came back with another broken heater. He couldn't change my room and I doubt if a heater would have made a difference as there were so much cold air coming through the air conditioner and from around the ill-fitted installation. It was getting close to 3:30 am and I was exhausted so I just slept in my clothes but i might as well have slept in a tent as it felt like was outside and kept waking up. The room itself was disgusting - dirty, gauze for sheets, lights burnt out. I left as soon as it got light outside. There's more I could add but let me just say, it was the worst hotel experience of my life.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LMAC2537
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Not a great experience at all.Would like to thank the young night desk clerk for walking me to my car at 5:15 am in the sketchy parking lot 4 not 2 blocks from the hotel. I had to pay an extra 12 dollars for the priveledge of parking there and I say that tongue in cheek.I actually went back to check on my car before it got dark cause I did not like the area it was in. Booked and paid in advance for our room .Asked for a room big enough for 3 adults got a room you couldn't swing a bat in. Cramped and unsafe in the event of a fire especially if front door was blocked by fire. Hard to exit window blocked by air conditioner.No view.Backed on to a turn around for street cars.Non of this is in your on line ad and online the room looked great. Bathroom was dirty hair on floor and in bath. Had to rinse before using. Only place to lounge was bed. I had indicated a preference for a first floor room as my father is 85 and has mobility issues and can not walk far. We got the second floor. No elevator.He fell going up the stairs and got a nasty cut on his arm and a very nasty injury on his baby finger on the other hand. He was shaken up I was concerned as he was going to hospital for eye surgery the next morning and had them check it at the hospital. They cleaned and disinfected and rebandaged it .Parking to get in and out was not available when we arrived or left had to park on street and help my parents into car.The night desk clerk was very kind and helpful with that.The day desk clerk had left a message that I needed help in the morning.The neighbourhood was not conducive to relaxing and enjoying the experience at all. Restaurant choices were iffy at best. The ordeal of trying to get into the hotel and get parked did not encourage wanting to gout to find a good place to eat and because my father has mobility issues we could not walk far Would never stay here again and definitely would not recommend. Have been to Howard Johnson many times in the past and been pleased this has left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Colin A
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed there for one night with just my boyfriend. Parking was a public parking lot, 2 blocks away. The room's carpet was so filthy, I didn't want to take my shoes off or set my bags down. The entire room was so dirty and overall dirty. The noise from the streetcars were bearable given it helped drown out the several teens running up and down the hallways at 3am. Will never be staying here, or at any Howard Johnson's, ever again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple