“not in downtown” 2 of 5 bubbles

BLAINE
“not in downtown”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel was not in downtown Toroto..the cab 2was $22.00
I was put into a smoking room instead of a nonsmoking as requested. There was no computer for use. Bed was not comfortable. Streetcar noise was continuous....too bad that not much for a budget is available in this area...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I stay in hotels regularly and a friend and I booked this place as TIFF was in town and all the downtown hotels were booked...Man, where do I start....We had booked a single room and was assured a cott would be available...NOPE..They didn't even have cotts. They wanted a $50 cash deposit even though the room was paid in full already..For what?? We could'nt have done more damage then what was already in the room.... We wanted a room with 2 double beds and requested we have it for the same price we paid for the room we didn't get..Manager would not even consider this. The hotel employee gave us the wrong room and upon returning late at night we were given our proper room...BUNKBEDS!!! Are you kidding me??? Both of us were over 150 lbs and the top bunk had a 120lb weight limit. Too late to leave we suffered through the night. Had to walk 3 blocks to park and again to pick up my car. No faceclothes, mouldy ceiling. The bed was coming apart at the seams. There were no blankets besides a fitted sheet on the top bunk. Fine, we had a smoking room but for god sakes you could have cleaned the ash tray. It's a wonder this place is still open. It's ghetto!! Stay away.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sheldon M

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Hamilton, ON
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here on a summer Saturday evening after attending a wedding in the area. A group of friends and I booked three rooms. Some including 2 beds and some only 1. The one bed bedroom was tiny. The bed was small that a taller friend would not fit on it and the distance between the bed and the wall was approximately 1 foot. If that. The two bed bedroom had a little additional space, but if I had packed any sort of luggage finding a space to put it would have been difficult.

The hotel is located in a bit of a dodgy neighbourhood. Parking is located 2 blocks away in an underground garage that I would not have been terribly keen on going to after dark. The hotel is on a streetcar line and you will hear these throughout the day.

There is a continental breakfast which was nice ,but between room size, smell and general rundown feel I can't really recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Book at a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HamiltonTraveller18
Bugibba, Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Instead of spending the money on the outside stucco, they should have upgraded the interior. This building is old and needs a lot of love.

There is no onsite parking, even to unload your car. It is located at a busy intersection and is difficult to deal with. You can pay for offsite parking three blocks away. A note: I drive a 4 door Jeep Wrangler and my soft-top rubbed on the pipes hanging from the ceiling in the underground lot. If you own a large vehicle, request above ground parking.

The rooms are tiny, have a noisy window a/c unit and do not have a fridge. One ice machine on the first floor. Wi-fi does not reach into the room so I had to resort to the hallway or the lobby.

The room was clean and tidy. The bathroom was very clean and stocked with the usual items. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They only work there and I can not fault them for the run down hotel. Howard Johnson should be ashamed to have their name on this hotel.

My wife and I walked up Roncesvalles on Friday night and the neighborhood is very nice. We found a nice local bar to have a drink at and enjoyed the evening. Better than staying in the room. I personally would not venture out the other ways however at night.

If you want a budget hotel with no amenities then this is your place. I would never in my life stay here again. It was literally a place to sleep and that is it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Windsor71
Ontario's Near North, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because we were in Toronto at a concert. We booked two rooms one for ourselves and one for our teenage children. Sure we knew it was going to be cheap, but we were hoping it was going to be cheerful too! (It happens!)

The first clue that we might not enjoy our stay was when we asked a guy at garage for directions. His exact words were, "Whoa, rough neighbourhood..." and this was coming from a guy who looked like he could handle himself in ANY neighbourhood.

When we arrived after driving for 7 hours (yes we live in the middle of no-where) we were told our rooms were not ready. So we hung around the very friendly front desk staff and waited.

Finally we were told we could go up.

Up we went...and low and behold we couldn't believe our eyes. (Maneuvering ourselves and our luggage down the hallway filled with bundles of used bedclothes was pretty creepy.) Our room was beaten up (small holes in the walls), abused and stained. Clean? I don't know! I couldn't tell! Was it dirt or a stain?
It was incredible! I'm not a neat freak, you can ask my collection of very happy dust bunnies...they'll tell you! But this was freaky. I felt like I was going to be sleeping in crime scene, or perhaps that I had been teleported to an episode of Starsky and Hutch and at any moment Huggy Bear was going to jump out and give us a tour.

I was mortified and immediately went to look at the kids room. It wasn't any better, however, my morbid teens thought it was funny that there was what looked like to be bullet holes in the walls and more peculiar stains on the carpet to which I won't even go into. (They weren't bullet holes...just holes...and very imaginative kids.)

I went back to my room and opened the phone book and booked us into a different hotel. We went down stairs and because we had pre-paid for the hotel rooms we were not able to be reimbursed. Such is life. You win some, you lose some.

If you've read any of my other reviews you will know that I give good and fair reviews. But honestly, the only good thing I can say about this place was that the staff were lovely and genuinely concerned that we were leaving. We were very polite to the staff and not insulting...it's not their fault...they're just working there, they don't own the place.

Bottom line: If you're broke, young and used to youth hostels and you need to spend a few nights in Toronto - go ahead, I'm sure it's safe enough. The location is pretty good.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank MGutscher
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

OK so it was a very small room, but it had a free breakfast excellent free Wi Fi the staff were pleasant and helpful it was clean quite and in a great location. Not the Hilton for sure but we spent 4 nights here and slept like babes. Some amazing restaurants around the corner on Queen st and trams run every 10-15 min subway about a 15-20 min walk. A nice Communtity setting with great coffee shops too. Laundry 2 blocks away for the traveller.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bryan W
Haliburton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

I made a reservation for a one night stay at the Howard Johnson Inn, Toronto Downtown West for May 27th, 2012. In the comments section I stated: “Disabled parking & room near elevator please” as we are both disabled. Upon our arrival, we were told that the parking was 2 blocks away – a five minute walk. Also, there were NO elevators in the building. The clerk’s explanation for this was that we booked through ‘brand’ and that they don’t read the confirmations. We were then asked to pay a $50 security deposit on top of our confirmed room rate, and asked to show a seniors card to keep the senior discount. I am 63 and my partner is 81, so we were shocked that both of these things were requested of us.

We dragged our luggage up the steep stairs only to discover that the room which we were assigned bore absolutely no resemblance to the one in the picture on our confirmation (see attached) and on the website. In fact, the double bed was against the wall on one side, and had only about 1 foot clearance at the bottom and on the other side. The rug was torn, worn and the furniture was battered and very old.

We called the manager to inform him that this room was totally unacceptable. He came up and told us that there was nothing he could do about it. I asked about upgrading to a larger room on the ground floor, and suggested that this should be done at the same room rate. When he refused we then said that we could not stay there and requested that we not be charged for the room. He again said that he couldn’t do anything about the situation. I suggested that he phone his manager, which he also refused to do until my 81 year old partner became extremely agitated and upset. He then did this and told us that we would not be charged for the room.

We were left in downtown Toronto in the late afternoon with nowhere to stay in an unfamiliar city. We had driven 3 hours to come to Toronto for a concert which was to start in a few hours. We were so frustrated that we considered turning around and driving home.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple