“Don't Expect Much”

Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville
Ranked #114 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The only good comment is the price, location and ok clean. If you do not care about your surroundings (room, hotel condition, etc) it is inexpensive ok. I had stayed here about 20 years ago and I do not think anything has been updated in the room!. My window was small, looked out onto the roof of the next building and an alleyway. The bed was adequate. As I got there late at night and was leaving after breakfast, no big deal. I would choose another hotel in this price range over the HJ. As the title says, don't expect much other than a place to sleep.if you get a good price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank badbartman
Nancy C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable for the price. I would like to advise you that the property will udergo an extensive renovation plan in the near future that will address many of your concerns. Again, thanks for your comments.

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville

Reviewed November 17, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Nancy C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Reviewed November 5, 2012

.A poster in the parking lot explains that this property is to be cleared of the hotel and turned into a hi-sire condo. so enjoy it while you can....the rooms are clean, bathrooms fine, old-style \TV|s,
wifi works, there are no fridges. \The breakfast is lousy...but all \toronto hotels make the mistake of making coffee and tea using the lousy municiple water...., but that's not why you are staying midtown. \
\one amazing feature in the breakfast room is the massive/oversized meeting table made from massive fir beams recovered from nearby loft buildings...it's even got a maker's plaque....someone should put the table in a museum before they tear down the old edifice.

great servicable hotel...not for whiners

Room Tip: well, you don't want a room on the main street, right?
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Based on the reviews I had very low expectations...

The room was very dated... blue carpet with mismatched furniture. The dresser was a worn dark wood look style, paired with a very used looking country kitchen oak style table and chairs.

On the basis of rooms, this hotel us not very pretty.It reminded me of Pulp Fiction.

That said the room was reasonably clean, the door locked, and we the elevator was working.

I checked out the breakfast and if you like cereal and pre fab pastries I guess you could call it breakfast. There were apples so 1 fruit was present.

This is not a place I would bring my wife to... but as a place for a couple of drunk guys to crash after a night on the town it did nicely...

I would stay there again for 100$. There is actually a 3 day deal on deal find for 69$.

It's safe but not fancy at all...

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank GreatWhiteNorth2k
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in hotels all over the world including third world countries. Here are some of the things I experienced...

-Dirty
-Smelled like decades of smokers stayed in the rooms
-Not maintained
-Limited ventilation (we had to switch rooms a few times to find windows that would open)
-The hallways smelled very bad
-The bathrooms were not well maintained

I wish I would have read the reviews here before booking. I wish I could give a zero star review because one start isn't right. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mark L
Nancy C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

My apologies for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay with us. I would like to advise that the hotel will be undergoing an extensive renovation plan in the near future. However, I will be sure to share your comments with my Housekeeping staff to make all the necessary improvements. Again, my apologies and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

When we first arrived at the hotel the room we were given had a very noisy air conditioner. I went down to the front desk and the person working (I forget his name) had no problem moving us to another room. This room was better in terms of the air conditioner but the bed was incredibly hard. After a sleepless night I went down to the front desk and told the front desk person that I was going to go check in at another hotel and wanted to cancel the rest of our stay. It wasn't the fault of the hotel - the price is right for the location and what you get. I just didn't want to lose anymore sleep and was willing to pay a bit more to go somewhere else further outside the city.

However, the person at the front desk (his name was Ali I think) told me he would upgrade my room first to see if it was more acceptable. He allowed me to go to a couple of rooms, look around, and even test out the beds and air conditioners. We found a room we really liked and the beds were extremely comfortable. We decided to stay one more night and ended up staying the rest of the trip here.

The other reviewers are correct in that the hotel is outdated and a bit disheveled. However, when you're paying around 100 dollars a night for a hotel in downtown Toronto (right at Bloor & Avenue) you really can't complain. The breakfast was meager and you have to get down early if you want fruit or anything other than a bagel. But that's life in a cheap downtown hotel. So stay here if you understand that in paying less money you are going to get less in terms of services and comfort. Do not stay here if you think you're staying at a four-star hotel but somehow just lucked into a good deal. You'll also save the poor staff from having to listen to you complain.

The parking was very convenient and was only 15 dollars a day (a steal in downtown Toronto!). I'm not sure why previous posters commented on the limited parking spaces - we had no problems and there were lots and lots of open spaces.

Thank you Ali for accommodating us and giving us the free upgrade. You saved our experience and we will return again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing West also face the street so noise level will be higher. Rooms facing East face the bac...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jay T
Nancy C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I was very pleased to hear that Ali was of great assistance and made your stay a comfortable one. I have shared your review with Ali along with the rest of my team.
Once again, many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Howard Johnson Yorkville again soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Rooms were really drab. The colour scheme could be changed in the least to make the rooms a little brighter. The complimentary breakfast was as bare as it could be. Wouldn't miss much if you skip one. The staff was good though. Cheerful and helpful.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo