“The price was right”

Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville
Ranked #114 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Based on the reviews I had very low expectations...

The room was very dated... blue carpet with mismatched furniture. The dresser was a worn dark wood look style, paired with a very used looking country kitchen oak style table and chairs.

On the basis of rooms, this hotel us not very pretty.It reminded me of Pulp Fiction.

That said the room was reasonably clean, the door locked, and we the elevator was working.

I checked out the breakfast and if you like cereal and pre fab pastries I guess you could call it breakfast. There were apples so 1 fruit was present.

This is not a place I would bring my wife to... but as a place for a couple of drunk guys to crash after a night on the town it did nicely...

I would stay there again for 100$. There is actually a 3 day deal on deal find for 69$.

It's safe but not fancy at all...

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank GreatWhiteNorth2k

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in hotels all over the world including third world countries. Here are some of the things I experienced...

-Dirty
-Smelled like decades of smokers stayed in the rooms
-Not maintained
-Limited ventilation (we had to switch rooms a few times to find windows that would open)
-The hallways smelled very bad
-The bathrooms were not well maintained

I wish I would have read the reviews here before booking. I wish I could give a zero star review because one start isn't right. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mark L
Nancy C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

My apologies for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay with us. I would like to advise that the hotel will be undergoing an extensive renovation plan in the near future. However, I will be sure to share your comments with my Housekeeping staff to make all the necessary improvements. Again, my apologies and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

When we first arrived at the hotel the room we were given had a very noisy air conditioner. I went down to the front desk and the person working (I forget his name) had no problem moving us to another room. This room was better in terms of the air conditioner but the bed was incredibly hard. After a sleepless night I went down to the front desk and told the front desk person that I was going to go check in at another hotel and wanted to cancel the rest of our stay. It wasn't the fault of the hotel - the price is right for the location and what you get. I just didn't want to lose anymore sleep and was willing to pay a bit more to go somewhere else further outside the city.

However, the person at the front desk (his name was Ali I think) told me he would upgrade my room first to see if it was more acceptable. He allowed me to go to a couple of rooms, look around, and even test out the beds and air conditioners. We found a room we really liked and the beds were extremely comfortable. We decided to stay one more night and ended up staying the rest of the trip here.

The other reviewers are correct in that the hotel is outdated and a bit disheveled. However, when you're paying around 100 dollars a night for a hotel in downtown Toronto (right at Bloor & Avenue) you really can't complain. The breakfast was meager and you have to get down early if you want fruit or anything other than a bagel. But that's life in a cheap downtown hotel. So stay here if you understand that in paying less money you are going to get less in terms of services and comfort. Do not stay here if you think you're staying at a four-star hotel but somehow just lucked into a good deal. You'll also save the poor staff from having to listen to you complain.

The parking was very convenient and was only 15 dollars a day (a steal in downtown Toronto!). I'm not sure why previous posters commented on the limited parking spaces - we had no problems and there were lots and lots of open spaces.

Thank you Ali for accommodating us and giving us the free upgrade. You saved our experience and we will return again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing West also face the street so noise level will be higher. Rooms facing East face the bac...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jay T
Nancy C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I was very pleased to hear that Ali was of great assistance and made your stay a comfortable one. I have shared your review with Ali along with the rest of my team.
Once again, many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Howard Johnson Yorkville again soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Rooms were really drab. The colour scheme could be changed in the least to make the rooms a little brighter. The complimentary breakfast was as bare as it could be. Wouldn't miss much if you skip one. The staff was good though. Cheerful and helpful.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Anyone who complains about the price of this hotel has no idea how much hotels cost in Toronto, particuarly in that part of the city. Admittedly this hotel is a bit past its sell-by date--the furniture bashed up, the carpets needing re-stretching etc. But it is clean and the hotel staff perfectly pleasant. The continental breakfast was a good array of pastries, bread for toast, cereal, yoghurt etc. The location is the real strong point of this hotel. It is right next door to Whole Foods, just north of the Royal Ontario Museum and Victoria College (part of the University of Toronto). Fundamentally good value for money in a great location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Nancy C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments! I was very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in beautiful Yorkville and that you found the hotel clean, our service to be pleasant and a good breakfast selection. We do hope you come stay with us again soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The overall appearence of the hotel wasn't bad. I thought the room was spacious, but the bathroom was very small. I am from Boston, and the staff at the front desk was very helpful on telling us greal places to visit. The one thing I didn't like and the reason I wouldn't return, is that instead of putting a pre-authorization hold on my bank card they withdrew the preauthorization amount on top of charging me the hotel room amount, which meant I was paying $200 more for the room then I should have been. I also never received a receipt for the preauthorization charge which I should of. When I got in contact with the manager, she asked me to fax a copy of my bank statments which I did. I didn't hear from her for two weeks and it was only because I emailed her. She said I should of gotten refunded and she would make sure that was done asap. It is now almost two months later and she respond to my emails or phone call and I have still not been refunded. She is very unprofessional and the main reason why I wouldn't return to that hotel. Plus it was not that great of a hotel anyways.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dooma418

I appreciate your feedback and there are necessary steps taken to investigate the problem and do apologize for not meeting your expectations in a timely manner. The refund has been issued as promised.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

My stay was terrible. The room was a disaster...messy, more like disgusting, and has a foul smell. Called the front desk and asked if we could move to another room but the gentleman was rude and talked to us like we were that stupid. I believe the name of the guy was Micheal. The tall asian guy was just there on his phone. So, we stayed in the room because we got no other choice. Everytime we go out, the two guys were always in front of the tv watching as if they were at their own home. I feel so sorry for the other guests in the hotel. Yes, the price is cheaper than the other nearby hotels but damn, the service is beyond awful. Never again. I will not be surprised if this property gets bankrupt.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank whynotright
Nancy C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I was very concerned to hear your comments and would like get more details from you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.