“Passable”

Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville
Ranked #113 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Rooms were really drab. The colour scheme could be changed in the least to make the rooms a little brighter. The complimentary breakfast was as bare as it could be. Wouldn't miss much if you skip one. The staff was good though. Cheerful and helpful.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Anyone who complains about the price of this hotel has no idea how much hotels cost in Toronto, particuarly in that part of the city. Admittedly this hotel is a bit past its sell-by date--the furniture bashed up, the carpets needing re-stretching etc. But it is clean and the hotel staff perfectly pleasant. The continental breakfast was a good array of pastries, bread for toast, cereal, yoghurt etc. The location is the real strong point of this hotel. It is right next door to Whole Foods, just north of the Royal Ontario Museum and Victoria College (part of the University of Toronto). Fundamentally good value for money in a great location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Nancy C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments! I was very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in beautiful Yorkville and that you found the hotel clean, our service to be pleasant and a good breakfast selection. We do hope you come stay with us again soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The overall appearence of the hotel wasn't bad. I thought the room was spacious, but the bathroom was very small. I am from Boston, and the staff at the front desk was very helpful on telling us greal places to visit. The one thing I didn't like and the reason I wouldn't return, is that instead of putting a pre-authorization hold on my bank card they withdrew the preauthorization amount on top of charging me the hotel room amount, which meant I was paying $200 more for the room then I should have been. I also never received a receipt for the preauthorization charge which I should of. When I got in contact with the manager, she asked me to fax a copy of my bank statments which I did. I didn't hear from her for two weeks and it was only because I emailed her. She said I should of gotten refunded and she would make sure that was done asap. It is now almost two months later and she respond to my emails or phone call and I have still not been refunded. She is very unprofessional and the main reason why I wouldn't return to that hotel. Plus it was not that great of a hotel anyways.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dooma418

I appreciate your feedback and there are necessary steps taken to investigate the problem and do apologize for not meeting your expectations in a timely manner. The refund has been issued as promised.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

My stay was terrible. The room was a disaster...messy, more like disgusting, and has a foul smell. Called the front desk and asked if we could move to another room but the gentleman was rude and talked to us like we were that stupid. I believe the name of the guy was Micheal. The tall asian guy was just there on his phone. So, we stayed in the room because we got no other choice. Everytime we go out, the two guys were always in front of the tv watching as if they were at their own home. I feel so sorry for the other guests in the hotel. Yes, the price is cheaper than the other nearby hotels but damn, the service is beyond awful. Never again. I will not be surprised if this property gets bankrupt.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank whynotright
Nancy C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I was very concerned to hear your comments and would like get more details from you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Arrived for the film festival late, so I had no real choice of hotels. At 189$+ tax I expected to get something relatively decent. The room was clean but really ugly. The carpet old and dirty, closet no more than a doorless opening in the wall. My view was a brick wall 12 feet from the window. Shower basic, no water pressure.The elevator dirty, the corridors look like Service areas in old hospitals and the lobby is no more than two cheap fake leather sofas and a TV. You'd expect to get a nice breakfast for this price, but not at the HoJo. The dining hall was a gloomy, badly furnished, windowless room and breakfast was bad coffee, a yogurt and bagels. No less, no more.
The only thing that saved this hotel from a one star rating was the nice man at reception who helped me get reservations for my flight.
Good location, horrible value for money. Total ripoff.

2  Thank Yherz
Nancy C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Toronto Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I was glad to hear your room was clean and that our Front Desk was helpful. We will be undergoing a complete renovation in the near future that will address the dated look of the hotel. I do hope you will try us again then.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The room was clean, the staff was professional and polite. The room was interesting, the TV was an old style placed on the dresser, if you were laying in bed you could not see the TV because of the very large footboard on the king size bed. The bed was comfortable, the view outside was bad. Parking was very limited, approximately 10 spots at $15.00 each night, if you need parking call the hotel direct and try to reserve a spot. Parking near by is almost double. The breakfast was ok, nothing special, but was appreciated because of the high cost of places around the hotel. The hotel has a great location if going to the University of Toronto. The location was easy to navigate to and from. Over all we would stay here again because of the price, location, and cleanliness.

Room Tip: I am not sure if 2 beds per room is an option
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments. I was so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your room was clean and comfortable and our staff was polite. I will be sure to share your comments with everyone. Unfortunately, our parking space is limited and cannot be guranteed or reserved ahead of time. Again, many thanks for your comments we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed this past Friday night. Quick check in by Michael. Room was clean. Bed was firm. Room was warm when we arrived but cooled down fairly quickly when i turned on a/c.
Continental breakfast had your usual items. I didn't think we would use it but it saved us some time and money so we were glad it was available to us.
Rooms need redecorated, carpet, wallpaper, lighting etc. But these are just decor. Not high on my list of important factors. Hotel Lobby had a gas fireplace, television and complimentary coffee too.
Front desk staff was friendly and cheerful.
Whole Foods Grocery next door. This hotel is located right in Yorkville (lot's of designer shops) and blocks ROM and from U of T and a nice green space. (Perfect place to chill on a hot summer day.)
If your only in town for a night or two, this hotel is very convenietly located. We took the subway and bus to CNE concert and it was $3.00 each. Return taxi was $30.00 as we were told it would be. We found the Duke of York Pub on the way back from St. George subway station. Good Nachos!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments. I was very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to be of service to again soon.