“Family fun for a day”

Ranked #70 of 536 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: An iconic cultural attraction, the Ontario Science Centre is a global leader in lifelong learning, welcoming more than 52 million visitors since opening its doors in 1969. As a convenor of public dialogue on technology, science and society, we provide collaborative experiences, support 21-century learning and spark youth innovation. The Science Centre conceives, designs and builds world-class exhibitions; we are dedicated to community outreach and serve as a vital link in Ontario's innovation and education ecosystems.
Reviewed April 8, 2014

After a day at the Science Centre we realised you needed about 3 days to see all the exhibits with a plethora of 'hands-on' science activities for young and old. To top off the day it snowed late in the afternoon when we left the Science centre which allowed the children to enjoy a walk in falling snow and to try iceskating in boots on a frozen fountain (which involved a lot of falling over). The City Pass which includes The Science Centre, Casa Loma, ROM and the Zoo is good value. We did not get to the zoo but still felt like we got good value with the pass.
In the space for the littlies, the 'energy-ball' machine had too many shapes for the kids to ignore and this space was good to let them run around and explore. The electricity exhibit was also a highlight. The 'school type canteen' catered for most tastes. I would recommend the Science Centre for a visit with kids of any age.

1  Thank Stevokid
Write a ReviewReviews (1,551)
All reviews
in 22 reviews
in 31 reviews
in 23 reviews

Reviewed April 7, 2014

This place was HUGE!!!! So big, we didn`t finish it.
We got in free because we were Science North members.
It is indescribable.
My favourite spot was the Weston Family Centre...must see that section
Kidspark is for 8 and under, it is soo cool.
Lots of escalators, so be careful.

1  Thank Kaiya N
Reviewed April 2, 2014

it has been many years since I have been back to this place the last time I was there was in 1985 to 1986. The living earth area was fun but the rainforest was hot. I liked the one about tasting the water and the net science arcade where you play insterments and another cool area called the Weston family centre were you can try many exparements. One was a little odd with the Color bars on the wall you do. This place was so big. The displays were on all different levels too. Be prepaired for a lot of walking and escalators but they do have a elevator. They also have a lunchroom too if you bring your own lunch but they have some cafés. The Omnimax was amazing. I got a discount with my membership card. I saw the human body. There were some school kids there. Some were very good in the Omnimax the odd groups were good but when I was on the escalators some were very rude how they used them. I was going down or up and the kids or teens were fowing around on them using them in the wrong direction for example when a escalator goes down they try to run up. My mom dad and I were ok but it could have used secerity gards there. It was a little scary so just a word of warning. Other then that I found it fun and neat. But the good news it it started to clear out with them around 2:30 to 3:00. there is also a fun ball machine I tried out you will find in the kids area. we had no trouble finding the bus stop after my aunt in Toronto took my mom dad and I there. The route 25 I think goes from pape subway station to the science centre or vice versa back to pape subway station to downtown Toronto. I recommend that route if taking public tranportation. They do have locks to lock up your jackets but it's never a good idea to leave valuables In there. Cost just a Lonnie. If you are a member for any science centre you can use your card there too for a discount. The building is a bit old but the areas inside I think are maintained ok since ontario science centre has been there for many years. There was the very odd one that didn't work but they had a sign on it. Most of them worked. I really liked the one were there was a keyboard and the liquid bubbles you will see inside a glass area playing it. Lastley if you are lucky outside you may see birds and squirrels through the glass around where the escalators are.

2  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Spent the day with my son (29), granddaughter (3), and youngest son (14). We actually ended up needing more time to comb through all of the Centre. Loads of hands on features in all of the areas. Very interesting special exhibit on "Sultans of Science". (We spent alot of time there.)
The Kids Spark area is for kids, large area, well monitored and plenty of friendly volunteers to ask questions and help with demonstrations. We spent over and hour there.
We did run out of time for the IMAX movie.
Something for everyone. I would definitely give it an entire day!
Ate lunch in the cafeteria style restaurant. Many healthy choices, prices, a bit high.
Bathroom facilities are many, and clean.
Parking was $10.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Sunday we went to the science center. We have the 1 year pass for our family. Our kids are 16 and 12 . There was a couple new exhibits there that we enjoyed. We usually get this pass every other year. We spent 3 hours there looking around and keeping busy. We also enjoy the movies there that are included with the membership and parking. You can't go wrong. The only negative I have is they use to sell a whole pizza there and now it seems they sell them by the slice for a big price. My kids obviously eat more than one slice so this would be very costly for me. I would suggest to people with big families and or big eatters to bring their lunch and snacks with them. This is what we will be doing next time. They do have burgers and fries which are good but they are $10.00 a combo per person. Their large pizza deal was much more economical.