“Waste of time!”

Ranked #8 of 536 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: With a collection of more than 90,000 works of art, the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is among the largest and most distinguished art museums in North America. An international landmark, the AGO is also one of Canada’s most innovative cultural destinations. Highlights of the Gallery’s world-class collection include iconic Canadian and Inuit works, along with European and contemporary art – all on view in a spectacular building transformed by renowned Toronto-born architect Frank Gehry. After spending time with the AGO’s vast collection, be sure to enjoy a meal or glass of wine at the Gallery’s award-winning restaurant FRANK. Visit shopAGO for a unique collection of artful gifts, one-of-a-kind jewelry, and beautiful art books.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 24, 2006

Small gallary with nothing much to see.......car park beside the gallery was flat $15. Parked at the meter across the street for a hour but only used 15 minutes of it.

6  Thank monmon
Write a ReviewReviews (3,590)

Reviewed April 15, 2006

Only one interesting small gallery and that was a temporary exhibit during the major renovations taking place. Not worth a visit until rebuild completed in 2008.

5  Thank Rachel1369
Reviewed November 10, 2005

I was in Toronto overnight on a Thursday and read that the AGO was open until 9PM that eve (and, I think, Wed eve as well?). I knew that the museum was almost entirely closed down save for the Catherine the Great exhibit and the Henry Moore sculptures... but what great way to spend 1-2 hours! The staff was very friendly. I would recommend the audio guide to get lots of great info re: the exhibit. Don't NOT go due to the construction!

6  Thank nycdannyboy
Reviewed August 9, 2005

the museum is undergoing construction and renovations. They have a few peices on display on the first floor and the sculpture gallery open on the third floor. I was extremely disappointed that after paying $8 I saw everything in like an hour. I generally love visiting musuems and can spend lots of time in them, but they really didn't have a lot on display. The pieces they had were nice, but I thought it was crazy they charged $ to get in - that's my opinion.

I will say I enjoyed the sculptures very much. There was another exibit that I chose not to pay more money to get in. I am really glad I didn't spend any more money and felt a victim.

9  Thank GA Jule
Reviewed June 8, 2005

The AGO is under a massive renovation most of the art exhibits are closed the admission was free. I can't wait to return and see the new designed AGO by Frank Gehry.

2  Thank gabe05