“What a wonderful museum.”

The AGO, Art Gallery of Ontario
Ranked #9 of 511 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: With a collection of more than 90,000 works of art, the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is among the largest and most distinguished art museums in North America. An international landmark, the AGO is also one of Canada’s most innovative cultural destinations. Highlights of the Gallery’s world-class collection include iconic Canadian and Inuit works, along with European and contemporary art – all on view in a spectacular building transformed by renowned Toronto-born architect Frank Gehry. After spending time with the AGO’s vast collection, be sure to enjoy a meal or glass of wine at the Gallery’s award-winning restaurant FRANK. Visit shopAGO for a unique collection of artful gifts, one-of-a-kind jewelry, and beautiful art books.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Close to New York
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“What a wonderful museum.”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

While hideously ugly on the outside, the AGO is just a beautiful space on the inside, lifting your heart before you even get to the exhibits. And the 3 special exhibits we've seen so far have been magnificently curated. Whoever is putting things together here really knows what he/she/they is/are doing. We loved it so much we became members.

Visited December 2013

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“A Positive Experience”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The art and exhibits were stunning & well presented. The building was not overly crowded & I did not feel rushed. I would honestly have stayed longer had I had the time.

Visited June 2013
Hamilton, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“First Visit”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Really enjoyed my first visit. We paid extra to see the Traveling Exhibition but felt I would have been just as happy to save the $15 and see the regular collection.

Visited January 2014
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Never a fan, till...”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I was never a fan of art galleris, nor was I a fan of art until the day I got into the AGO, which left me mindblown over the types of art that exists today.

I remember passing by this building very often on my occasional walk from home to school and vice versa but never keen to step inside due to my lack of interest in the arts. One day, I decided to stop by and never felt better. The interior of the gallery gives off a homely feeling, with a twist between traditional and modernity.

I almost got lost in here as this building is not as small as it looks. With 4 floors (or 5) to explore around, this is a place to relax, definitely. They change their exhibits every now and then, with the older pieces on the main floor, the exhibits on the second and 3rd and 4th filled with Inuit and Modern art.

There's an entrance to the cafe at the back which offers membership based services, and a cafe! I have personally not been to the cafe yet, but it was a house that was converted to a cafe and connected to the end of the AGO.

Besides that, OCAD students get to go in for free as the membership has been included in their fees, and high school students are free to enter after 3 between Tuesdays and Fridays, whereas there's a general free entry on Wednesday nights between 6-8.30pm.

Visited March 2013
Readington, New Jersey
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Having lived in New York and Florence, I usually don't have high hopes for collections in other cities. The collection at AGO exceeded my expectations. To start, there are 2 Bernini sculptures in the permanent collection...for me that was good enough. There's one room where the paintings are displayed in the same manner they would have been in a French salon circa 1900. But here's the best part...
If you have little kids and you like fine art, you usually have to have your spouse/sig oth watch the kids while you hurriedly rush through. The fear of kids touching the work or misbehaving and disturbing others is too great. My kids are pretty well-behaved, but at AGO, I was able to bribe them: there are 2 kid-oriented sections in the museum. One is a gallery dedicated to child-centric art with paintings hung lower, a table for coloring with art-related books and, the best part, an open picture frame inviting kids (and the more silly-oriented parents among us) to dress up and take a photo like if they were the subject matter. The pic can then be viewed on the museums in-house screen by posting to instagram! The other section is a large room with tons of books, dress-up, crafts, crayons, etc. There were a lot of babies and toddlers the day I went, but even my 4 and 7 year old had a great time. And, the museum has free Wi-Fi so while they played, I caught up on a little internet-time!
I loved the AGO and will definitely return, as well as recommend it to fellow art-loving travelers.

Visited January 2014