“A Truly Impressive Gallery”

The AGO, Art Gallery of Ontario
Ranked #9 of 501 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: With a collection of more than 90,000 works of art, the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is among the largest and most distinguished art museums in North America. An international landmark, the AGO is also one of Canada’s most innovative cultural destinations. Highlights of the Gallery’s world-class collection include iconic Canadian and Inuit works, along with European and contemporary art – all on view in a spectacular building transformed by renowned Toronto-born architect Frank Gehry. After spending time with the AGO’s vast collection, be sure to enjoy a meal or glass of wine at the Gallery’s award-winning restaurant FRANK. Visit shopAGO for a unique collection of artful gifts, one-of-a-kind jewelry, and beautiful art books.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Kenmare, Ireland
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A Truly Impressive Gallery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

As I strolled through this gallery recently, I began to think the architecture of same was much more impressive than some of the exhibits; in fact it dignified many of these presentations, not the other way round.
The exhibits were many and varied, with something on view for everyone. Each visitor should find something to be entertained by.
While I loved the Sorel Etrog and the Henry Moore pieces the part that enthralled me was the Galleria Italia which was largely funded by the Italian Community. I am no architectural "buff" but this is one of the most impressive areas I have seen in any gallery I have visited.
Go see it, well worth the admission fee, and afterwards have a ramble through adjacent Chinatown, which is busy and biz.
I loved the whole experience.

1 Thank Westcork10

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Membership gets you the best value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I just extended my AGO membership for the second year. Even if you are a busy person, like myself, you can definitely pick one day a month to see new exhibition they bring in, there have been a few last year. Even my 14-year old enjoyed some of them. If you are a member, you have a privilege to view all new exhibits front row and you can visit any exhibition at any time. Great place for the whole family.

Visited May 2013
Northampton, Massachusetts
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Wonderful museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

The exhibits we saw were not the permanent exhibits but they were both fascinating and I assume reflect the generally high quality of art to be found there. The Henry Moore sculptures, which are part of the museum's permanent collection, are wonderful. But the Frank Gehry architecture, including an incredibly graceful floating staircase and a light-filled atrium, is worth the price of admission!

Los Angeles, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Escape In Art At The AGO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I loved the AGO. I am a big art gallery/museum head so it's rare that I'll leave a bad review for one.

I received an entry pass to see the AGO but not for the special exhibit. I would pay the regular price had I not received the pass and I would even be a member of the AGO if I lived in Toronto. I wish I had more time because I only had a few hours and felt rushed. The Patti Smith "Camera Solo" exhibit was fantastic. The contemporary floors are also a great place to discover new, young, innovative artists. The gallery's reno is by Toronto's architecture son Frank Gehry, so if you're a architecture fan as well, you'll get a double dose. There is also a cafe, a restaurant and an excellent gift shop.

Here's a bit more of my time and thoughts about the AGO on my travel blog: http://bit.ly/12fWzCJ

Tampa, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Don't miss the AGO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

If you are in Toronto definitely make a trip to the AGO. It is a perfect way to spend an afternoon or longer. Great permanent collection and contemporary exhibitions. Such a great opportunity to see the Henry Moore sculptures and maquettes. We were lucky enough to catch the Patty Smith photography and Janet Cardiff experiental exhibitions.