“My favorite restaurant in Toronto”
Review of Walima Cafe - CLOSED

Walima Cafe
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: North York
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I love going to Walima Cafe. The food is authentic, the atmosphere is comfortable and the owners are friendly. Mohammad recognizes us and knows that we want to travel to Morocco one day so he comes by our table and spends time answering our questions. He even sold me one of his teapots because I wanted a real Moroccan teapot so bad. I feel like I'm transported to another country when I go to Walima Cafe. The chicken is awesome, great presentation, in a tangine. The carrot salad and hummus can't be beat! And the prices are good. You can reserve the back of the restaurant if you have a large group. It's like eating in a tent with pillows all around you and low table.

I just wish that the restaurant served alcohol. It would be nice to have a drink with my meal.

But this place is great! You've got to check it out. My favorite spot in Toronto!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

What a great little restaurant! Really good & authentic Moroccan menu here - Great harira soup, spicy olives, Moroccan starters, lots of variety for meat and veg couscous & tagines, pastille, kebabs. Coffees, teas, juices and soft drinks. No alcohol.

The chicken tagine with saffron potatoes, olives & lemon was excellent, so was the lamb couscous. Good portions of everything and it is *really* Moroccan tasting! It's very casual and decorated with a cool Magreb vibe. Genuine Moroccan hanging lamps, tiles, decor and music to match (at a good volume for diners). The service was outstanding; attentive, friendly and quick. Dinner for 2 with starters, entrees, dessert and a pot of mint tea was about $60, and definitely worth it.

This is a small, unassuming neighborhood restaurant that has about 10 tables and they were all full. I'd recommend Walima Cafe to anyone looking to experience really good Moroccan food at a reasonable price. Oh, it's located at 1943 Avenue Rd now.

1  Thank spmm
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Went for dinner with my son and he groaned for 30 minutes in ecstasy over the bastilla. The tagines rocked as well. I will be back!

1  Thank Ken F
Reviewed July 17, 2012

When my sister first mentioned that we should try "this Morrocan Restaurant" on the danforth, i was a little skeptical. Sometimes, for North american tastes, the food changes to adapt to local palates, or the decor is too big and touristy. But but, we had a great meal as my mother would cook it, from the appetizers to dessert. I hesitated on my choice of couscous with merguez, as my family makes a great couscous, but again, it was really good, tasty and plentiful.
I am hoping that their new location will be open before I travel. I loved the place, the food, and the owners.

2  Thank mirocabarete
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I love the Chicken Bastille. The perfect combination of sweet and savoury. The eggplant dip is delicious too.