“Convenient Location”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #57 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 27, 2014

My husband, daughter and I stayed here three nights for vacation. The rooms are small, but very tidy and have nice décor. One of our mattresses was uncomfortable but we switched beds with our daughter. It was very quiet we were able to get a good night's sleep.

There's no free breakfast and rather than spending $45 for three of us to eat breakfast in the hotel restaurant we went to a Tim Horton's adjacent to the hotel.

For those not familiar with Toronto, I would suggest using the valet parking service. The cost is only a bit more than municipal parking garage located next door. My husband got lost when exiting and went the wrong way down a one way street.

I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the subway station (St. Andrew's) and it was perfect for our travels around town. There are many, many restaurants of all types located nearby for a great dining experience.

Only complaints were about the mattress as mentioned above and housekeeping didn't refill our hand soap in our bathroom, so we used shampoo which is probably the same thing.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,675)

Reviewed August 26, 2014

We went straight tot the hotel from the train at 11.10am, were told they didnt have rooms for ourselves and our friends on the same floor, we were glad to get 2 rooms so early, then we got told we had a free upgrade! Yes as many have said the rooms are smaller, even our upgrades but they were spotlessly clean and fresh with really nice bedding. What more can you want for a one night stay when you are only sleeping in the room anyway. All the staff we dealt with were very pleasant and helpful. At checkout we were asked if we needed a cab or our bags storing, we stored our bags while we wandered around before our train. When next visiting Toronto for a game or show will definitely book here again and recommend to others

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I was at The Strathcona Hotel from August 15 to 20 while in Toronto for a conference, choosing this hotel because all of the conference hotels were booked for the five nights I needed to be in town, and this was the closest I could find to the convention center without busting the budget. It turned out to be an excellent choice and will definitely stay here again.

I have to admit my first impression - getting off the airport shuttle and walking through the construction zone past the very impressive looking Fairmont Royal York - was not that great. Because of the construction related to Union Station, the block of York Street south of the hotel (heading from Front) is a series of pedestrian mazes; and without through traffic, York seems like a backwater street despite being in the middle of town.

My concerns were reduced when I entered the simple, but tidy, lobby area and was greeted by two friendly staff. Having read other reviews, I wasn't surprised to be asked to sign the "noise policy", but was pleasantly surprised when I was offered free internet for the duration of my stay and a top floor room. The clerk even asked me how many devices I needed to connect to wi-fi and even gave me an extra access code in case I needed it.

Interesting quirk: the "welcome bag" included a bottle of water, potato chips and oreo cookies.

On reaching the 12th floor I was a concerned (again... perhaps paranoid because of some of the other reviews mentioning noise) when I found my room was right behind the elevator. Again, not a problem at all. Never heard it once during my stay.

The "executive" king room was as I expected from the photos on the hotel website: two-drawer "dresser"; armoire instead of a closet; writing desk; bonus chair; coffee maker; wall-mounted flat screen tv; and smallish bathroom with tub-shower combo.

Everything was clean. Lighting was great for working/relaxing. Plantation shutters worked great for reducing light and gaining privacy. Windows opened a bit for fresh air (and up on the 12th floor looking into the interior of the property, noise wasn't really an issue). A/C worked well to tackle the humidity.

The room isn't large. Since it was just me, I was able to set my suitcase in the corner next to the dresser, although I could see if a couple had multiple suitcases, daypacks, purses, or briefcases, storage could be a problem. Same goes with the armoire and dresser. It was sufficient for one person with five days' clothing for a business trip, but a couple for an equal stay... it would be a challenge I think.

Bonus in the room: mini-fridge.

Bathroom was small - and like everything else very clean. Between the small shelf and countertop, I had enough room for my stuff. I liked the eco-friendly approach to soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion in containers. I would have preferred a third container in the shower for a properly formulated body wash rather than a combo shampoo/body wash. But I quibble...

While the hotel website had some great deals, I booked using a Trip Advisor discount code and was quite happy with the value.

Location: really convenient to Union Station, arriving by Airport Express bus, subway (at either St. Andrews or Union), streetcars and an easy walk to the convention center via either Front Street or the skywalk (from York and Station Sts). Tim Hortons, Second Cup, and Starbucks are close-by as well. In order to get away from chain restaurants, the St. Lawrence Market area was just a 10 minute walk east along Wellington and Front.

Room Tip: Executive king room on the 12th floor was quiet. Never heard my neighbors except when they were comi...
3  Thank TacomaGuys
Reviewed August 20, 2014

As others have posted excellent location in the center of the city but in a quiet side street. Near transport hubs and plenty of restaurants.

Very clean and well kept establishment with a cozy bar attached next door. Would get more points if I didn't have to pay for the wifi. A real bug bear of me. It should be free to guests.

I would say its very good value for money compared the other hotels nearby

2  Thank dave c
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I booked the strathcona hotel on hotels.com on July 24th and just stayed there this past Saturday and Sunday (August 16th and 17th). I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel to stay for one night while I am currently on vacation. I didn't want to spend a lot of money but I wanted to stay somewhere nice. This hotel offered both of that!!! My stay was Great!!! Spent Saturday shopping and went out for dinner. I arrived to the hotel a little after 2pm and was able to check in right away! Sunday the weather was so much better so I didn't want to head home right away. The hotel held my luggage for me for free while I explored more of the city!!!

I will definitely be back and next time I will stay an extra night!

Rebecca h.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Rebecca H
Reviewed August 3, 2014

In fairness, the good news first: this is a clean, efficient, affordable hotel in a good downtown location. But poor soundproofing and a management that can't control guests is a bad combination for a place that calls itself a "business hotel."

It is not a hotel's fault when the people next door enjoy the loud music, shouts, and shrieks that go with having a good time, But it IS a hotel's fault when they can't or won't effectively communicate to rowdy neighbors that they need to keep things quiet at night. There are ways to let guests know they need to keep things quiet in a way that will get them to cooperate, but this hotel didn't have the ability or willingness to do that and so after multiple phone calls and a visit to the front desk the noise continued. At one point I suggested that perhaps the front desk could give my neighbors an empty room to party in or at least vouchers for the hotel's Pub to encourage them to move their party out of their room and into the Pub; that way my neighbors could have their fun, and I could get my sleep, and everyone would be happy. But the manager said he couldn't do either of those things. Listen, before you call me a grinch, I am not opposed to fun and I wish I could have joined the party, but unfortunately I was staying at this "business hotel" on business and needed to get up early. A hotel with paper-thin walls and a timid management is not the place to stay if you might need to get some sleep.

9  Thank Dan G
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Hi Dan,

First and foremost I want to thank you for your review. All reviews provide both travellers, as well as the hotel, valuable information.

I am very sorry to hear your experience with us was not up to our standards.

I have sent you a private message last week to verify your last name, as well as check out date so I can investigate further and follow up where necessary.

Unfortunately I was not made aware of the issues you experienced, so any information you can provide me with would be very much appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

Meg Brooke
Front Office Manager
fom@thestrathconahotel.com

Reviewed August 2, 2014

I booked this room for one night at a high price of 250$ but the other hotels in this area were priced the same and higher.
They have valet parking at 40$ a night which is a little high but it's Toronto.
All parking, especially on nights when a big act is in town will take advantage of your pocketbook.

We checked in at 3 on the dot, valet parking was very quick to respond to me, promptly gave me a ticket with a number on it, very polite person.

Front desk was very easy, just asked for id and credit card, gave us the room key and directed us on how to get to the elevators, very efficient and polite, no complaints.

The room was clean, bathroom was nice with hand soap, body lotion, shampoo and body wash. Clean towels. No complaints.

The beds were scrumptious, omg, I wanted to take one home in my car, lol.

The climate in the room was good and elevators were fast to arrive.
Smoked outside the doors without any harassment, nice for a change.

Three complaints
1... The charge of 6$ a day for wifi is a little degrading, I just paid 300$ for parking and the hotel, should be a free bee

2... I had purchased a concert package with the hotel where upon checkin you are supposed to receive a welcome bag which the two teenagers with me were quite excited to get.
We got one brown bag at check out after I asked for them, but I shouldn't have bothered and neither should the hotel, the contents was a bottle of water, a Halloween sized bag of chips and a small Oreo cookie school snack treat. They were quite let down, but we had a good laugh at it all,the same.

3...we got a call at 815 am, I guess the hotels version of a wake up call which we did not ask for, very troubling since we had a late night and we were not due to check out until 11, three hours notice is excessive

4...as I was going to the elevator to search for coffe at 830 am, The maid
working on the tenth floor asked me which room I was in and when I was leaving, odd.

Anyway, the night was enjoyable and the hotel is close to the rogers centre, but since it is in the financial district keep in mind that the fast food places close early. There is a Tim's across the street and a subway around the corner with another Tim's

Overall very expensive but it's toronto trying to be New York once again

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Makdeemak

Hi Makdeemak,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

Regarding the Wifi charge, internet that is included is often built into the rate. Since everyone does not use internet. We try to keep our rates competitive and only charge for those who choose to use it.

I am sorry to hear you did not receive your Welcome bag upon check-in, and will follow up with the staff member who checked you in. Next time you are in town, please contact me directly and I will be sure you receive something special.

Wake up calls are not programmed unless asked for, so it is possible this may have been a misdial from another guestroom. I am sorry to hear either way that you were woken earlier than wanted.

Next time you are in the area please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your reservation.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!