“The beds are a piece of heaven”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #57 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I booked this room for one night at a high price of 250$ but the other hotels in this area were priced the same and higher.
They have valet parking at 40$ a night which is a little high but it's Toronto.
All parking, especially on nights when a big act is in town will take advantage of your pocketbook.

We checked in at 3 on the dot, valet parking was very quick to respond to me, promptly gave me a ticket with a number on it, very polite person.

Front desk was very easy, just asked for id and credit card, gave us the room key and directed us on how to get to the elevators, very efficient and polite, no complaints.

The room was clean, bathroom was nice with hand soap, body lotion, shampoo and body wash. Clean towels. No complaints.

The beds were scrumptious, omg, I wanted to take one home in my car, lol.

The climate in the room was good and elevators were fast to arrive.
Smoked outside the doors without any harassment, nice for a change.

Three complaints
1... The charge of 6$ a day for wifi is a little degrading, I just paid 300$ for parking and the hotel, should be a free bee

2... I had purchased a concert package with the hotel where upon checkin you are supposed to receive a welcome bag which the two teenagers with me were quite excited to get.
We got one brown bag at check out after I asked for them, but I shouldn't have bothered and neither should the hotel, the contents was a bottle of water, a Halloween sized bag of chips and a small Oreo cookie school snack treat. They were quite let down, but we had a good laugh at it all,the same.

3...we got a call at 815 am, I guess the hotels version of a wake up call which we did not ask for, very troubling since we had a late night and we were not due to check out until 11, three hours notice is excessive

4...as I was going to the elevator to search for coffe at 830 am, The maid
working on the tenth floor asked me which room I was in and when I was leaving, odd.

Anyway, the night was enjoyable and the hotel is close to the rogers centre, but since it is in the financial district keep in mind that the fast food places close early. There is a Tim's across the street and a subway around the corner with another Tim's

Overall very expensive but it's toronto trying to be New York once again

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Makdeemak
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Hi Makdeemak,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

Regarding the Wifi charge, internet that is included is often built into the rate. Since everyone does not use internet. We try to keep our rates competitive and only charge for those who choose to use it.

I am sorry to hear you did not receive your Welcome bag upon check-in, and will follow up with the staff member who checked you in. Next time you are in town, please contact me directly and I will be sure you receive something special.

Wake up calls are not programmed unless asked for, so it is possible this may have been a misdial from another guestroom. I am sorry to hear either way that you were woken earlier than wanted.

Next time you are in the area please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your reservation.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,664)

Reviewed July 30, 2014

The Strathcona is conveniently located close to Union Station and almost everything else in Toronto. Stayed there for a night for a music Festival at Fort York and also for a Jays game the next day. Was in walking distance for both.

The hotel itself was simple but clean. Everything was working fine and the staff were friendly and accommodating.

It was a pleasant one night stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Hi AZakry,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!!

Hope to see you again soon.

Happy Travels!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I chose this hotel for its proximity to the Air Canada Centre and I have to say I wasn't disappointed....it was the perfect location. We arrived in Toronto early Saturday morning and I was not expecting to be able to check in - however since our room was ready they checked us in - no problem. The room is small but was clean and very comfortable. My husband loved his pillow!! We were on the 7th floor and had no issue with noise. We didn't eat here so cant comment on the food however we did have a drink in the bar which was very welcoming. Overall very comfortable stay and within walking distance to many attractions.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hamish1844
Reviewed July 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Strathcona for 4 nights. We wanted something located near restaurants and attractions so that we would not have to drive everywhere and could walk to most places. Downtown Toronto has very limited parking, and it costs a pretty penny to park. We ended up taking a bus instead of driving, so the Strathcona's location turned out to be great. It is right downtown close to restaurants and shopping, 0.5 miles from the Rogers Centre and even closer to the Air Canada Centre, Ripley's Aquarium, and the CN Tower. We were on a fairly tight travel budget and booked the cheapest room available, with two single beds. Not the most romantic, but we just pushed the beds together and it worked out fine for us. The room had everything we needed and not much else. It was a small room. If you are looking for a hotel where you can spread out, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for somewhere to keep your stuff, take a shower, and sleep, then this hotel is a great choice. The room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. Most of the time we spent in the room was for sleeping, afternoon naps, and showers. The staff was courteous and helped us with anything we needed. They do charge for wifi, which is a bummer. There is a restaurant in the hotel but we never ate there so I can't attest to how good or bad it is. On the day we checked out our bus did not leave until 3:15pm and the hotel does offer luggage storage for such situations, free of charge. It was nice to be able to squeeze in a couple of extra hours of sightseeing without having to lug around our bags. Overall this is a great hotel for someone who's single or a couple; I don't think I would stay there with kids due to the room size. We would stay there again, and you really can't beat the location.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Great price point on this hotel...bed and linens better than most.
Clean, wooden floors.
Good service...helped me get a cup of tea when I arrived.
The breakfast guy was kinda gruff...but he had a busy room.

Easy, five minute walk to Union Station.
May I add... what a pleasure to be on Via Rail to New Brunswick!
From the Strathcona Hotel, I walked over to The Panorama Business Lounge in Union Station...complimentary magazines and refreshments then onto Car #1...Business class with WiFi and superb lunches. My sleeper cabin had a shower!

All in all, the Strathcona is a little gem...I'll stay there again
and Travel by Via Rail is way more interesting than flying and costs about the same. (There are lots of discounts...just go to the Via Rail website.)

Room Tip: Ask for interior room. There's lots of construction on the street.
2  Thank Bren M
Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Strathcona offers great value in the heart of downtown, just 2 blocks from Union Station. It's a "no frills" sorta environment, but they clearly pass the savings to the customer. While the rooms are small, it's an ideal setup for someone traveling on business and watching the checkbook.

1  Thank NYC-G-Unit
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This hotel is ideally situated a stone's throw from the station and handy for the convention centre. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The food in the downstairs bar is pretty good. However, our room was tiny! Just squeezed a double bed in it. We could barely move around in it. There was no desk space and little storage. The bathroom was well equipped (although the hair drier didn't work properly) bit again it was tiny. The ambience was not helped by the room having high, unopenable, cell like windows, so natural light was minimal. But wifi was cheap and fast.
Tim Horton's across the road so breakfast there at a fraction of the cost in the hotel.