“A decent downtown hotel”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #57 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Centrally located, clean and comfortable rooms. Some of the staff at reception were helpful and pleasant (like Ronald). Unfortunately though, the person who checked me in was frosty and even gave me incorrect transit information. That said, I would stay here again if I need to be in this part of the city.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Hi Kirsty,

Thank you very much for your review!

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the location, comfort and cleanliness of our hotel.

I am also very happy to hear you were overall impressed with our staff. However, for training purposes I would like to investigate further as to who checked you in. We certainly strive for excellence in Customer Service at all times, so I would like to address this promptly. Would you please email me at fom@thestrathconahotel.com with the name and check out date, so I can follow up?

If you are ever back in the area again, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your room.

Hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,664)

Reviewed June 19, 2014

The location of this hotel is convenient. However, there is major construction in the area surrounding the hotel with all the disturbance: noise starting before 8 AM, dust, construction workers everywhere outside, etc... The room is small, there is no free wi-fi and the television is bad (don't know if this is the cable or the TV itself). Not convenient during Wold Cup! Also, there is no curtains that can make the room dark at night, so you don't sleep well with all the light from outside coming in the room.
Some positives: the fridge, people at the desk, restaurant and the cleaning lady are nice (however they can't really help finding a good restaurant around!). For the price ($170 plus tax/night, we upgraded the room), it could have been better.

Room Tip: upgrade the room to higher floors
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank marienat

Hi Marienat,

Thank you for your review!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location, our service and the Pub!

As the city prepares to host the PanAm Games next summer, there is construction throughout the city. However, we are expecting the corner of Front & York to be open within the next couple weeks!

Regarding the wifi, internet that is included is often built into the rate. Since everyone does not use internet. We try to keep our rates competitive and only charge for those who use it.

Regarding your Television; if you would be so kind to email me at fom@thestrathconahotel.com with your last name and/or room number you were in so I can further investigate. Our flat screens are all quite new, so we want to be sure all is ok with the TV itself.

Our inventory includes 9 different room types ranging from a 1 Twin to Two Queen Bedded rooms. We try our best to describe the room types as accurately as possible on our website supported with several photos of each room type. Normally we would offer an upgrade at check in time but sometimes during the summer time the demand is so high that alternate room types may not be available. We are sorry we were not able to accommodate you in a larger room type this time.

If you are ever back in the area, please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to arrange your room for your, including an upgrade so you can experience one of our larger rooms. I would also be happy to provide you a long list of great restaurants in the immediate area. There's lots of great choices within walking distance, depending on what you prefer.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed 2 nights in June 2014. Knew the rooms were small and this is ok given the location. Everything you need in a compact space. Cleaning appears more cosmetic than thorough. Found an extra dusty remote control under my side table. With taxes was $300 for 2 night with a queen bed, this didn't include wi-if, it was an extra $6 a day or $10 for 3 days. It is included with some bookings and not others. On the 2nd floor so pretty noisy at times, but this is expected given all the construction in the area.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

First, I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location, and found all necessary amenities were available in your room.

I am sorry to hear you had some housekeeping issues however, and will certainly follow up with our team. If you have a moment, could you please email me at fom@thestrathconahotel.com with either your last name or room number so I am able to further investigate.

As for the WiFi, internet that is included is often built into the rate. Since everyone does not use internet. We try to keep our rates competitive and only charge for those who choose to use it. That being said, any Corporate rate or Package does include the WiFi at no additional charge.

If you are ever back in the are again, please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to arrange your room, as well as provide you with an upgrade.

Hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

The staff was the best. The room was small but really clean. Just really really nice all around. Would stay there again in a heart beat. The pub food and the pub staff were simple the best. Thx for the hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Hi Sunnyscotford,

Thank you for your review.

Very happy to hear you enjoyed your entire stay with us.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 12, 2014

It is a basic, clean hotel with some modern interior design touches, but a lot of small annoyances. I would not choose to stay here again. Since I was relying on wi-fi service for my phone and tablet while in Canada, the intermittent and weak wi-fi internet service was a major frustration and problem. The guest code had to be entered multiple times per day and often the wif-fi didn’t work at all—although there is a fee for use. Don’t stay here if you need internet. The rooms are extremely small. We changed to a more expensive “king executive room” which was not spacious, but less claustrophobic. The bath lacked any place to place toiletries, the lighting was bad for applying makeup and the soap dispenser was attached to the wall too far away from the shower for use (no bar soap provided.) Our AC unit did not cool at all, however upon our second request after a few warm nights, it was repaired. The room faced a bank of other rooms, so the window shutters needed to be closed for any privacy. Oddly, the tv was not at all in line with the bed or chair, so viewing was awkward. The rooms do vary and I would ask to see the room before checking in. The positives are the good location close to the convention center and waterfront, the very friendly staff and the efficient housekeeping service.

Room Tip: Rooms on "courtyard" are dark and lack privacy with shutters open
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Katryna
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Hi Katryna,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review. All reviews are greatly appreciated!

First, I am happy to hear you found the staff friendly and efficient, and that you appreciated the location and cleanliness!

I am sorry to hear your stay was not 100% enjoyable however, as we do have a 100% Satifaction Guarantee, and always want our guests to enjoy their stay and leave us happy and rested.

Our inventory includes 9 different room types ranging from a 1 Twin to Two Queen Bedded rooms, and one large Executive Suite. We try our best to describe the room types as accurately as possible on our website supported with several photos of each room type. Normally we would offer an upgrade at check in time but sometimes during busy periods the demand is so high that alternate room types may not be available. We are sorry we were not able to accommodate you in a larger room type this time. If you are ever back in town and would allow us the opportunity, I would be more than happy to provide you an upgraded room.

As mentioned, we also have interior facing rooms (which are great for those who may be light sleepers or just want some peace and quiet), or we also have exterior facing rooms. For more sunlight and a view, we suggest requesting a room facing York Street.

As for the WIFI I am sorry to hear you had some difficulties. As our technology gets smaller and the battery life gets longer, it tends to be the Wireless portion that is trimmed down to allow for longer battery life. Due to this, we now see our devices need to be closer in proximity to wifi access points. That being said we aim to be proactive and are currently in the process of improving as well as increasing our access points throughout the hotel for even better, more efficient service. We strive to have the best WIFI access possible for our valued guests!

If you are ever back in the Toronto area, please feel free to contact me directly and I would be more than happy to provide you an upgraded room and be sure you experience The Strathcona Hotel Downtown Toronto in all it's glory.

We hope to welcome you back again!

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

I booked this room online, I thought the price for the room was great for the area we were staying in and the star rating for the hotel until we got to the hotel... There was no parking which is fine, the closest parking garage exit was about half a block away and across a busy street. With luggage in tow and no elevator that I could locate, I had to drag my suitcase up a couple flights of stairs which wasn't the best way to start off the trip. We arrived in the lobby it was clean and presentable the staff were very pleasant when checking in. We got to our room and opened the door and the room was literally smaller than my bedroom at home there was no where to put anything we were tripping over everything. There is no hallway or closet to remove the sleeping space away from the door. We heard everything that went on in our hallway the entire night. People weren't being loud or anything there was just zero sound barrier. The bed was extremely uncomfortable my back was so sore the next day. The TV was really small and we could hardly see it from the bed. The shower didn't work properly we couldn't get the water to come on all the way. The housekeeping staff was very nice I required a bandaid which apparently the hotel doesn't have a first aid kit on hand but one of the maids did give me one from her own personal stash in her purse, I was very grateful! All in all I feel the stay was way over priced for what the hotel is. It says it's a 3.5 star hotel.... I just don't see it.... For that kind of money I have stayed in nicer hotels in that same neighbourhood.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jenn W
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Hi Jenn,

First and foremost I want to thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. All reviews are much appreciated.

Though I am very pleased to hear you found our staff members very pleasant and helpful, and the hotel clean, I am sorry to hear the rest of your stay did not meet your expectations.

Though we do not own our own Parking, there are several lots within a two block radius of the hotel which are public lots. We also now have a Valet option right in front of the hotel for $39 plus tax overnight, which includes in and out privileges. (Definitely the easier option for those not used to navigating downtown).

Unfortunately I was not made aware of some of your challenges, as we do have a 100% Satisfaction guarantee, and we certainly would have sent up Maintenance to check on your shower, or show you how to operate if needed. We do in fact have an elevator, which is located in front of our front doors, on the lobby level. We also always have a supply of Band-Aids in our Front Desk First Aid kit as well.

If you would provide us the opportunity to host your stay a second time, please feel free to contact me directly and I would be more than happy to provide you with a Complimentary Upgrade to one of our larger rooms, and ensure your stay is nothing short of fantastic.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed June 8, 2014

this wasn't our first stay at the strathcona we stay here whenever we come to town
for blue jays games the staff is always friendly and knowledgeable they have great rates
supply wi fi and allow you to leave your bags after check out if you are still in town for the day
before you head back conveniently located on the grey hound route and across from union
station there is tim horton's across the street as well as a breakfast restaurant and a bar in the
hotel the room was clean and when i asked for more towels and a bath mat i didn't have to wait
to long before they were at the door i highly recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: there is no pool or spa at this hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Penny,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very pleased to hear you always enjoy your stay with us so thoroughly!

Though we do not have a pool or spa, there is a great little Salon & Spa located right around the corner from us for those days you want a little pampering!

We hope to welcome you back again soon.