“Great location, clean and modern”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #55 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 21, 2014

A great place to stay if you want a downtown hotel that is reasonable, clean and a great location. It does not have a lot of atmosphere but good if you just want a place to stay overnight. Good value for the money.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gay C

Reviewed May 21, 2014

One night here was one night too much. Rude check in - computer down so unable to get code to use wifi and the woman barked at me. Bed uncomfortable and polyester cushions felt icky. Warning on bathroom wall about slippery bath - but you have to call for a rubber bath mat! And there was no bar soap to use in shower and the wall mounted liquid soap container was near the sink - but not near the shower!!!!! Talk about dangerous to get in and out of slippery shower with liquid soap in my hand (over and over again).
The rooms are really small - no carpet and just 4 hangars in small closet - small TV above desk made it difficult to watch from bed and the system kept logging off, interrupting the program I was watching (had to go back to start screen and find channel again and again and again).
Yes, the location is fine although with road closures in this area of downtown Toronto it is not that convenient to get cabs etc. BUT there are way better hotels in downtown Toronto that don't feel like a bargain basement experience with a dose of rudeness to ruin anything that might be a welcome.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Travellingnurse50
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Friend and I went for a one night stay for a concert. Hotel staff very friendly. Rooms are really small, but it was good for one night, wouldnt want to do anymore than that. Beds are not very comfortable either. Location is amazing, a five minute walk from union station and about ten minutes to massey hall area. Would definetly come back to this hotel for one night stays, mainily for the location and the staff are wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paige M
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Hi Paige,

Thank you very much for your review!

I am very happy to hear you and your friend enjoyed our location and service!

If you are back in the area, please feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to provide you with an upgrade so you can experience one of our larger rooms.

Hope to welcome you both back soon!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

This hotel was a great choice since we wanted to be close to many main downtown attractions and districts. Very small rooms, but comfortable and cozy and the room amenities were nice. The staff was very pleasant and helpful/knowledgeable.

We choose to self-park. Definitely park in the parking structures that are green in color (there is one within 3-5 minute walk from the hotel). The red ones are higher in price and further away from the hotel.

The downside of the hotel location is the construction. During our stay, it started at 7am. Not good if you wanted to sleep in some. We stayed during the week so there wasn't as many guests in the hotel, and the hotel / outside noise was quiet at night.

The rooms had a wood laminate flooring....the downside was that you could hear your neighbors walking around in their room if they had their shoes on.

1  Thank DH_Traveler01
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Hi DH_Traveler01,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the comfort of the rooms, the location and our superb staff!

Though there is currently construction happening throughout Toronto, while the city prepares for the PanAm games in 2015, I am pleased to hear you were not disturbed at night.

If you are ever back in Toronto, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your room and I will be more than happy to block you in a quiet room.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed May 18, 2014

My husband and I were very fortunate when we discovered the Strathcona Hotel...right in the center of Toronto. This busy and vital city is a wonderful way to just get away from everything and discover it's fabulous diversity. (from fabulous shows, sports, a huge variety of ethnic foods, markets, one of a kind and funky shops, China Town, cultural adventures and on and on and on) The only problem for us was....How could we afford to pay for two nights in down- town Toronto? The Strathcona Hotel! THAT'S HOW WE COULD AFFORD it! (just swear you won't tell a soul!) This treasure is a wonderful surprise! Clean, friendly, very accommodating, and they provide everything a guest could possibly want for a relaxing stay, and probably a host of other goodies that I haven't thought of. The best part of this hotel is their staff. From the front desk to the housekeeper (who always seems to be busy and available on the floor if you need anything!) This is a must try! I just hope that when it becomes really popular the prices don't go up! If anything isn't up to your standards....just ask!!! Don't write a bad review!

Room Tip: All I can suggest is that if you are not satisfied with your room (for ANY reason!) go to the front...
2  Thank Linda O

Hi Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. We appreciate any and all reviews, as they show us where we are thriving and where we can improve as well.

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed everything to do with your stay!

It is true that we have a Satisfaction Guarantee, so if there is anything we could do to make your stay more comfortable, always ask!

Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are in the area.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 16, 2014

I stayed in this hotel in May 2014. The first room I was given was dirty, you could see the dirt build up in the blinds. It did not look clean. I then decided to upgrade my room, which I found to be a lot cleaner. However, when I lifted the toilet seat, I found urine under the seat. There was a long black hair in the towels. You could see the pipes under the sink in the bathroom, which looked dirty. On my last day there, my train left at 6:30 pm at night, so I wanted to see if I could get a later checkout. I heard the man at the desk the day before tell a guest he could extend his check out time to 1:00 with no charge. When we went he told us 12:00,was latest and anything after would cost $50.00.
The location of the hotel was great! Walking distance to many attractions and restaurants. If I were to stay in Toronto again, I would pay a little more money to get something cleaner, where I would feel more comfortable.

2  Thank ashleyalex2107

Hi Ashleyalex2107,

First and foremost I would like to apologize for any negative experience you had while staying with us. Though I am happy you enjoyed your prime location, we strive for excellence in all areas, Customer Service and Cleanliness obviously being two of the areas most focused on. So to read your review was quite disappointing.

If you could please email me with your check out date, as well as the name your room was under as I was not made aware of your situation, and would like to further investigate. This will allow me to verify certain staff members on at the time to provide further training where necessary.

An extended check out up until 1pm is in fact at no charge. Between 1pm to 3pm is $50. And anything there after is a full nights charge. Once I hear from you I will also be able to verify if indeed a late-fee refund is due.

If you are ever back in Toronto, please feel free to contact me directly, and I would be more than happy to offer you an Upgraded room, so you can experience The Strathcona Hotel Downtown Toronto as we intend it to be!

Hope to speak with you soon.

Happy Travels!

Reviewed May 15, 2014

This hotel beats the pricier hotels in the vicinity. It is smaller and therefore not as frantic as the larger properties in the area. The rooms are small - but so are the basic rooms at the Fairmont Royal York which is right across the street. Green P parking is just a few doors down - really convenient. It is a very quick walk to the Convention Centre and near many restaurants as well as shopping. Union Station is also within a quick walk. We found the hotel staff to be friendly and extremely helpful. We're in Toronto several times a year and have stayed at all of the nearby properties. This one is our new favourite. We will be returning to The Strathcona on our next visit!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank PROSCALER

Hi Proscaler,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!