“Trip to Toronto Marathon 3 nights” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Strathcona Hotel

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #53 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
“Trip to Toronto Marathon 3 nights”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

So, I pre-booked in October, the room I was given didn't even have a view just other rooms without views either. So much for pre-booking. I got free wi-fi first night with a code and than had to pay $6 the next day, the code I was given changed. My TV was still in analog and could barely see some of the channels. On my last night, I was given a torn/ripped towel, how many hotels do you know still re-use them? Some of the staff couldn't even give you directions, "That's too far to walk, take cab", hello I'm here for a half marathon. On the bright side it was close to a lot of amenities and some staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the street, otherwise you feel caged in.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Glen H
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Hi Glen,

Thank you very much for leaving your review!

Some guests that may be very noise sensitive prefer our inside facing rooms, whereas other quests prefer facing the street. We tend to have a fairly even mix of requests. If you are ever back in Toronto, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your room, and I will ensure you receive a room facing the street.

Our Wi-Fi options are either $6 per day, $10 for three days or $15 for a week.

Regarding the TV and Towels, I am sorry I was not made aware of this as we certainly would not knowingly put a torn towel in the room, and all of our Televisions are in fact digital.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Warmest regards,

Meg Brooke
Front Office Manager
fom@thestrathconahotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel just before the new year in December 2013 and don't have a bad thing to say about it.

There is absolutely no better location in Toronto where a tourist would want to stay. It's a 2 minute walk from Union Station, about 5 minutes to the CN Tower, Rogers Centre and the new Ripley's aquarium and less than a 10 minute walk to the Air Canada Centre. The best part, it was across the street from a Tim Hortons, which as a Canadian who's been living in the UK for 8 years, this was a huge plus for me!

The hotel itself was super clean with comfortable beds where we had a great night's sleep. Luckily, we weren't looking for space - as we certainly didn't get much. We got what we need though; a nice place to rest our tired heads!

I'd definitely recommend this hotel, it doesn't get much better!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elabela82
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hi Elabela82,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Happy Travels!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the train station, which is virtually across the road. This hotel is in a central location, easy walking distance to most attractions. The downfall to this hotel is that breakfast is not included in the price. There's a Tim Horton's across the road which is where we ate. Our room was small but clean and comfortable and the bathroom also clean. The tower is behind the hotel by a couple of blocks and there is Steam Whistle brewery across the road from it. The lobby to the hotel is very nice and it's an affordable option in the heart of Toronto.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cajhm
Hi Cajhm,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

If you are ever back in the area, please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to arrange your stay.

Happy Travels!
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

This small hotel is located very close to Union Station in downtown Toronto. It is very close to CBC television station, the CN tower, shopping underground and the Eaton's center, as well as lots of restaurants and theaters. The price is very good, the rooms are small but clean. Very basic amenities, but sufficient for a short stay. Because the hotel is small, you are close to road level, and the noise (garbage trucks etc) was very loud at night. I wouldn't have been impressed if I was paying the Royal York prices across the street and have to listen to that racket all night. Good value for it's location.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank beachy026
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hi Beachy026,

Thank you for leaving your review!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location, value and cleanliness!

I am sorry to hear you experienced noise during the night though. As a future tip, our Executive Rooms are on the higher floors (Floors 8-12), and you can request a room not facing the street.

Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are in Toronto, and I will be sure you receive a quiet room.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back soon!
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stayed here during fan expo last year and let me tell you was I ever happy with this place!! Super sweet staff, nice clean rooms and oh so comfy beds!! They also have a 'unless you ask you reuse please' type policy. Perfect for today's culture! They also have free ice. Just sayin. There is nothing worse than a hotel charging for ice.
Some people say that the rooms are small but how much space do you need when all you are planning to do is sleep? You get your money's worth in the beds alone. The staff always stopped to say good morning and after we had been there for a few days asked about our trip! 10/10 would and have recommended this hotel to anyone staying in Toronto! Because this hotel seems to be on a side street it seems people miss it. It's my favorite secrete hotel and I hope this review helps someone else enjoy it as well!
Oh.. And just across the street is a Tim Hortons... Really you cannot go wrong!!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Hogwartsgirl
Hi Hogwartsgirl (and fellow Londoner),

Thank you so much for your review!

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us so thoroughly!

Hope to see you again this year for the Fan Expo.

Feel free to contact me directly to arrange your reservation.

Have a wonderful day!
Campbellville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

You can't beat this hotel for location - it is right in the centre of the city close to waterfront, theatres, restaurants, shopping. Clean and comfortable, rooms are fairly small but adequate for a short stay. Small coffee maker in the rooms but be prepared to pay for the coffee in the lobby, which seems a bit excessive to me. Attached restaurant offers breakfast but it is pricey, lots of alternatives within very short walking distance.

Room Tip: Higher probably better from a noise point of view but Internet access intermittent only where we wer...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Canuck300
Hi Canuck300,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed the comfort and location. We truly are in the heart of it all!

if you are ever back in the city, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your room and I will be happy to ensure you have an indoor facing room.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

The Strathcona is excellently situated for exploring Toronto, within easy walking distance of various attractions such as the CN Tower, the Eaton Centre, etc.
We were given a room with two double beds in (although I thought I had booked a standard double). Beds are comfortable and rooms are clean. The standard rooms are fairly small (we could only just open the door past the corner of the bed) but as a base for exploring Toronto the hotel offers good value for money. We really only needed somewhere to sleep and store luggage while we enjoyed time out and about in the city, and the Strathcona is ideal on this basis. If you intend to spend much time in your hotel room (although why would you with all that Toronto and the surrounding area have to offer?) then you may want to choose a superior/executive room.

We did not opt for the hotel breakfast, although for convenience this may be useful. Instead we went to Shopsy's for a very enjoyable breakfast.
The Strath pub, downstairs from the hotel and accessible via the hotel elevators as well as from street level, is disappointing. We arrived on a Sunday lunchtime and were hoping for a bite to eat before heading out to explore Toronto. Sadly, the Strath is not open on Sundays. In addition, the next day we thought we would have lunch there having returned to the hotel just after 2pm to get some dry clothes after being caught in a rain storm, only to find that food was not served after 2pm (until the evening). We did call in later that day for a game of pool but found the staff quite discourteous and the wine unpleasant and over-priced (even by Toronto standards).
It is a shame that the friendliness and helpfulness of the hotel staff seems not to extend to the pub and, to some extent, the association between the two establishments does a disservice to the hotel.
I would recommend the Strathcona hotel and would stay there again when visiting Toronto.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alison C
Hi Alison,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us your review!

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed the location, value and comfort of The Strathcona Hotel Downtown Toronto.

I am sorry to hear you were displeased with the Pub service however, and have shared your review with our Pub Manager for further follow up with his staff.

If you are ever back in the area and looking for a bite to eat, these are the options and hours we have:

Room Service:
Open Daily except Sundays and holidays
7am-10pm

The Strath Pub:
Monday-Friday
11am-Midnight (last call at 11:15pm)

Saturday
4pm-Midnight (last call at 11:15pm)

Kitchen Closes at 10pm Daily

Sunday - CLOSED

The York Street Café
Monday-Friday
Breakfast/Lunch 6:30am-2pm

Saturday & Sunday
Breakfast 7am-12pm

Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are in the area and I would be more than happy to provide you with an upgrade, as well as a Discount coupon for the pub!

We hope to see you again soon!