“Great location, great price, clean, comfortable.”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #56 of 135 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I am just back from a two night stay at the Strathcona Hotel in Toronto. I was traveling on business. I have read the other reviews and some of the complaints about the size of the rooms. The Strathcona is an old hotel and its rooms are small. On the web site oft he hotel the dimensions are giving. I stayed in a room with a double bed. And that occupied most of the room. However, there was a generous closet, an iron and ironing board, a full length mirror. a great TV mounted on the wall, and a rack on which to put my suit case. The bathroom was small but had lots of towels and came with a hair dryer. There were three shelves on which to put my toiletries. The bed was exceedingly comfortable and the linens clean and quite nice. There was lots of light and hardwood-floor laminate. I read the people complained that the room was cold. It was when I checked in but after a few minutes the heater had it toasty warm (I turned off the heater and put an extra blanket on the bed and slept soundly). I heard some hall noise, but no more than at every other hotel I've stayed in. Best of all the price is far less than other hotels. I paid $109 a night plus taxes, using the train discount. The Strathcona is close to great restaurants, theatre, sports, and shopping. No, I don't consider it a luxury hotel or a resort-hotel. It is simply a great place to stay at night if you just need a room for a few days.

Room Tip: Check out the website to view the rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank keithoflondon
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Hi Keith,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us (and the travelling public) your review.

I am very pleased to hear you found good value in your stay, and that you found all the necessary amenities and comforts that you needed.

Feel free to contact me directly next time you are in the city and I will be happy to arrange your room. As well as to give you an upgrade so you can experience one of our larger rooms as well.

Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,689)

Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

This room was probably the smallest room in any hotel I've ever stayed in. It makes NYC hotels look spacious. The rooms were clean though but the bed was really loud. Walls are paper thin so be prepared to hear everything that happens on the floor. At least there is a Tim hortons close and the room is cheap. Front desk staff could be friendlier.

• Stayed: February 2014
8  Thank Ekaseta

Hello Mr. Kaseta,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us!

We are glad that the hotel cleanliness and location met your satisfaction. I am sorry to hear you were not ``Wowed`` by all of our staff though. Your review will certainly be shared with the staff for improvement.

Regarding room size, our inventory includes 9 different room types ranging from a 1 Twin to Two Queen Bedded rooms. (Your room was the Smart One Double) We try our best to describe the room types as accurately as possible on our website supported with several photos of each room type. Normally we would offer an upgrade at check in time but sometimes during busy periods, the demand is so high that alternate room types may not be available. We are sorry we were not able to accommodate you in a larger room type this time.

We do hope we will have an opportunity to host your stay next time you are in Toronto. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be happy to arrange your reservation, as well as provide you with an upgraded room type.

Happy Travels!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The service was good. The location was good. The bed was comfortable.
However, I still cannot believe how small my room was! Yes, it was used to basically just sleep in but I was completely shocked when I walked in.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Carrie B

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for leaving your review.

I am very pleased you were happy with the service, location and comfort! This is certainly what The Strathcona Hotel Downtown Toronto strives for on a daily basis.

Though I am not sure what room type you stayed in, my assumption is that you were in one of our standard "Smart" rooms. These are the smaller room types, which are located between floors 2 and 7. Our inventory includes 9 different room types ranging from a 1 Twin to Two Queen Bedded rooms.

I am sorry we were unable to accommodate an upgraded room for you this time around, Normally we would offer an upgrade at check in time but sometimes during peak periods the demand is so high that alternate room types may not be available.

We do try our best to describe the room types as accurately as possible on our website supported with several photos of each room type.

We do hope we will have an opportunity to host your stay next time you are in Toronto. You may contact me directly to arrange a reservation, and I would be happy to provide you with an upgrade so you can experience one of our larger room types.

Happy Travels!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Strathcona Hotel last night as we needed somewhere to crash for the night after a night out with some friends. We found the hotel online and noticed the very reasonable rates for a downtown Toronto hotel. We definitely were not expecting anything fancy as we simply needed somewhere to sleep for the night.

Overall, the room was clean, exactly the way it looks on their website. However, there were a couple of minor things like the wall paper starting to peel off the wall where it meets the ceiling, the walls not being thick enough or insulated enough to prevent sound from other rooms and we had a little bit of difficulty operating the temperature control but these were really minor things to us. With all of this being said, these were really minor things to us due to the purpose of our stay. The room was definitely one of the smallest rooms I have stayed in as the queen size bed took up a lot of room and the bathroom was extremely small. Once again, these were not major concerns to us but could understand why they may be to others. We didn't have any problems with the staff as they were friendly and no different than any other hotel. We took a quick look at the breakfast buffet and decided to pass at it didn't look too appealing. However, there is a Tim Hortons right across the street and other restaurants and coffee shops near by. Be prepared to walk a little after you find a place to park as the parking next door was closed and we had to park about a block away.

Overall, I would say this is an average hotel that is great if you need somewhere to stay for a night or two for a very reasonable price. I would recommend this hotel to young couples, singles and students visiting Toronto. We would definitely stay here again if we needed a place to sleep for the night.

Queen room = $169.00 + HST

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B12Toronto

Hi B12Toronto,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am happy to hear you were happy with the value, service of our staff and the cleanliness.

I am sorry to hear however, that you experienced some difficulty in operating the heating controls, and that the wallpaper in your room appears to be loosening. If you get a moment, could you please send me a message as to what room you were in? This way I can be sure the Maintenance and Housekeeping are aware and ensure the wallpaper gets replaced as soon as possible.

Next time you plan to be in the are for another night on the town, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your reservation and I will ensure an upgrade.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Skip this one. Cold rooms in March, unfriendly concierges with surly answers to basic questions. Room is not terribly clean and has horrendous ambient noise from pipes running through the closet. Outrageous 20 bucks for access to the high speed, notified only when I arrived in the room and had to call down.

The opposite of cheap and cheerful. Shoddy and cheerless.

Room Tip: go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
10  Thank C R

Hi C R,

It is unfortunate that your experience at the hotel was not to your entire satisfaction. Our hotel offers a 100% Guest Satisfaction guarantee and we would do everything possible to correct any issue that you were unsatisfied with. Unfortunately we did not learn of the challenges you incurred during your stay.

Regarding WiFi we do not charge $20 for this service. We do have a nominal fee for WiFi, if you choose to use it which is $6 per day, $11 for 3 days, or $15 for 7 days. These rates are for up to 4 devices as well.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Meg Brooke
fom@thestrathconahotel.com
416-840-4002

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I recently booked this hotel through a third party site (Groupon). I booked a 2 twin-bed bedroom. We arrived at the hotel and checked in... first things first... we were put into the wrong room, so we proceeded back down to the front desk to correct it (being the nice people that we are, unlike the people that run this hotel) since it was a more expensive room and we did not pay for it. We were only in the room for a few hours, slept and then left the next morning. A few days later we look at the charge on the credit card and low and behold there is an extra charge on it. Thinking that this would all be straightened out by just speaking with the hotel, we gave them a call, only to come to a road block. We called twice only to get the same answer "its an HST charge", mind you all charges were specified on the Groupon website when we booked and the only taxes that should have been added on to our charge were added when we bought the groupon on the actual groupon website. We proceeded to email groupon to find out what this might be, provided them with all the information that the hotel was asking for. They call the hotel and get told that they have no records of us staying there and asked if they could contact us for more information....before emailing groupon support back we call the hotel one last time..... TO BE TOLD " YOU SHOULD PROBABLY MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT GROUPON EMAIL TO MAKE SURE YOU ARNT BEING SCAMMED" .... what hotel gives this as an answer to a customer that spent money at the establishment?

A SCAMMER THATS WHO!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
13  Thank ashley k
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Good afternoon Ashley,

I am sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience while speaking with our Guest Service Agents. If you could please contact me directly with the name your room was under as well as the check out date. This way I can investigate this further, as I have not been made aware of this. I would like to confirm if we do in fact have a record of this, at which time I will be able to follow up with yourself as well as Groupon if need be.

I look forward to your reply.

Meg Brooke
fom@thestrathconahotel.com
416-840-4002

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed one night while on business.

Great location, neighbours to the Royal York and Union Station. Would be a good option if you are coming from out of town to go to a sporting event or concert, and planned to stay afterwards.

The rate was good for downtown Toronto, the staff was friendly and helpful.

Was surprised to have to pay extra for Internet access, as most hotels I stay at these days include it.

The room itself is small compared to other hotels, but it had been updated. Felt very European. Found myself wondering why they would spend quite a bit to upgrade the room to a high standard, but not replace the doors or some of the trim. It looked a bit odd,

Would probably not choose to stay there more than a night or two, but for this trip it suited my purposes well.

Had dinner at the Strath Pub downstairs. Food was good, atmosphere was good.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Hi Lone_Palm,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am pleased to hear you were happy with our Pub, location and the value. I am also very happy to hear you found our staff members friendly and helpful!

When you are back in the area again, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your room and I will ensure you receive an upgrade to one of our larger rooms. (We do have several room types that vary in size. Tip: Our Executive rooms offer the most space. Especially the Executive with Two Queens).

Though many Downtown properties do have a fee for Wi-Fi, we do keep ours competitive. (And you will be happy to hear we are working on having Wi-Fi included in the near future!)

Hope to see you again soon!