The Strathcona Hotel
$294
$232
  • Breakfast included
1,727 results
All reviewsunion stationyork streetgreat locationcn towerrooms are smalltim hortons across the streetair canada centrerogers centreroyal yorkexecutive roomwithin walking distanceshort staywi fihockey hall of fameheart of downtownbed was comfortablefront desk staff
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Skip this one. Cold rooms in March, unfriendly concierges with surly answers to basic questions. Room is not terribly clean and has horrendous ambient noise from pipes running through the closet. Outrageous 20 bucks for access to the high speed, notified only when I arrived in the room and had to call down.

The opposite of cheap and cheerful. Shoddy and cheerless.

Room Tip: go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
11  Thank C R
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Hi C R,

It is unfortunate that your experience at the hotel was not to your entire satisfaction. Our hotel offers a 100% Guest Satisfaction guarantee and we would do everything possible to correct any issue that you were unsatisfied with. Unfortunately we did not learn of the challenges you incurred during your stay.

Regarding WiFi we do not charge $20 for this service. We do have a nominal fee for WiFi, if you choose to use it which is $6 per day, $11 for 3 days, or $15 for 7 days. These rates are for up to 4 devices as well.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Meg Brooke
fom@thestrathconahotel.com
416-840-4002

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I recently booked this hotel through a third party site (Groupon). I booked a 2 twin-bed bedroom. We arrived at the hotel and checked in... first things first... we were put into the wrong room, so we proceeded back down to the front desk to correct it (being the nice people that we are, unlike the people that run this hotel) since it was a more expensive room and we did not pay for it. We were only in the room for a few hours, slept and then left the next morning. A few days later we look at the charge on the credit card and low and behold there is an extra charge on it. Thinking that this would all be straightened out by just speaking with the hotel, we gave them a call, only to come to a road block. We called twice only to get the same answer "its an HST charge", mind you all charges were specified on the Groupon website when we booked and the only taxes that should have been added on to our charge were added when we bought the groupon on the actual groupon website. We proceeded to email groupon to find out what this might be, provided them with all the information that the hotel was asking for. They call the hotel and get told that they have no records of us staying there and asked if they could contact us for more information....before emailing groupon support back we call the hotel one last time..... TO BE TOLD " YOU SHOULD PROBABLY MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT GROUPON EMAIL TO MAKE SURE YOU ARNT BEING SCAMMED" .... what hotel gives this as an answer to a customer that spent money at the establishment?

A SCAMMER THATS WHO!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
13  Thank ashley k
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Good afternoon Ashley,

I am sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience while speaking with our Guest Service Agents. If you could please contact me directly with the name your room was under as well as the check out date. This way I can investigate this further, as I have not been made aware of this. I would like to confirm if we do in fact have a record of this, at which time I will be able to follow up with yourself as well as Groupon if need be.

I look forward to your reply.

Meg Brooke
fom@thestrathconahotel.com
416-840-4002

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed one night while on business.

Great location, neighbours to the Royal York and Union Station. Would be a good option if you are coming from out of town to go to a sporting event or concert, and planned to stay afterwards.

The rate was good for downtown Toronto, the staff was friendly and helpful.

Was surprised to have to pay extra for Internet access, as most hotels I stay at these days include it.

The room itself is small compared to other hotels, but it had been updated. Felt very European. Found myself wondering why they would spend quite a bit to upgrade the room to a high standard, but not replace the doors or some of the trim. It looked a bit odd,

Would probably not choose to stay there more than a night or two, but for this trip it suited my purposes well.

Had dinner at the Strath Pub downstairs. Food was good, atmosphere was good.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Hi Lone_Palm,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am pleased to hear you were happy with our Pub, location and the value. I am also very happy to hear you found our staff members friendly and helpful!

When you are back in the area again, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your room and I will ensure you receive an upgrade to one of our larger rooms. (We do have several room types that vary in size. Tip: Our Executive rooms offer the most space. Especially the Executive with Two Queens).

Though many Downtown properties do have a fee for Wi-Fi, we do keep ours competitive. (And you will be happy to hear we are working on having Wi-Fi included in the near future!)

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed for one night and found our room (Executive 2 Doubles) small but adequate. What I like about his hotel is they tell you the size of the bed and the room. Since we only sleep in the room we don't need a lot of 'extra' space, or the expense that goes with it.

Our room was clean and bright. There are no carpets on the floor and I like that. The room smells better as a result.

Next time I will not get the bed and breakfast special. The buffet was nothing to write home about. Unless you're starving, order from the menu and it will be better and cost less. Also, we took the VIA train to Toronto but we didn't bother reading the on-board magazine. If we did, we would have seen an ad from this hotel for 15% off with a valid VIA ticket.

This hotel is on York Street, around the corner from the Royal York. It's right downtown just a block from the Union Station, the GO trains and the TTC subway.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank kanadai
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Hi Kanadai,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to leave your review for fellow travellers like yourself.

I am happy to hear you found the rooms to have all the necessary comforts, and found them nice and clean. (I may be biased but I too love the wood floors and shutters!)

Next time you are in the area, please feel free to contact me directly and I will ensure you receive the Via Preference rate on your room.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Maybe my expectations were too high. Tiny room, small bed. Shower head at 5.5 feet. Bathtub drain that didn't drain. Cracked sink. Very rough, thin towels. Soap and shampoo in squeeze bottles mounted upside down on the wall. Tiny shelf space in bathroom. Lousy TV reception. No light though the windows. Not enough lighting. I guess the age of the hotel showed in just about everything, and despite an attempt at cosmetic improvements the overall experience was just disappointing. I won't stay there again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Brutus58

Hi Brutus58,

First and foremost, thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review. All reviews are extremely valuable in helping to continuously improve our guests experience.

I am very sorry to hear your experience with us was not a very pleasant one, and I regret I did not hear of this while you were with us as we would certainly have moved you to an upgraded room and had Maintenance examine and repair the mentioned items in your bathroom.

I hope you will provide us an opportunity next time you are in town to welcome you back so you can experience The Strathcona Hotel Downtown Toronto in all of it's intended glory. Feel free to contact me directly and I will see that you are upgraded to one of our larger Executive Rooms as well.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Happy travels!