“Good value at the heart of the city”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #55 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The Strathcona is in a great position at the heart of Toronto near Union Station so handy for public transport and near lots of attractions. While it's not a luxury hotel, it is clean and the modest rooms are designed in an appealing modern manner and the bed was comfortable. You do, however, have to pay extra for a fridge. The staff were friendly and we got a room upgrade which was most welcome. There is a convenience store and a Tim Hortons over the road and a pub in the basement. The construction work round the station didn't bother us and we heard no noise from it. As we weren't driving, parking wasn't an issue. We enjoyed our stay at the Strathcona and thought it was excellent value for money!

1  Thank Carolyn K
Brendan C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Carolyn. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We appreciate your kinds words and we are happy you were able to enjoy our location and our upgraded executive room. We hope to see you back in Toronto again in the future!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Dirty Hotel, smelled of strong cleaner and cigarettes in non smoking room. Construction going all day and night. Thin walls, noisy suspicious looking neighbors. Overall friendly staff with only a minor few at service desk that make the hotel look bad. Don't waste your money!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank Simpslady
Ashok N, General Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Guest of the Hotel,

Very sorry to learn about your experience. Ours has been a "Smoke Free" hotel for over 7 years now. Even though we make our guests aware of it, through tent cards placed in guest rooms, signages in public areas, digital boards in elevators, and on all our sales collaterals and web site, some guests simply ignore it. We introduced a $ 250 clean up fee for smoking in the hotel to help eliminate such incidences.The situation is minimised but not completely eliminated. And in an exception when it does occur eliminating the smoke smell does require thorough aeration and cleaning spread over couple of days with a faint after smell. I am sorry again that you were caught up with this situation for absolutely no fault of yours. Kind Regards.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed here a few times before because of the proximity to the Air Canada Center which is just a hop skip and a jump from this place. The price is cheap and rooms are clean. Nothing outstanding about this place it does the job. The more than a few of the robots roaming the front desk could use with some updating on hospitality professionalism especially management. The rooms are very clean, although small they have every thing you need for a night or two's stay. I recommend this place, clean, good prices and a very desirable location when traveling in by train or taking in a concert at the ACC.

1  Thank MillsVspot
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Hi MillsVspot,

First and foremost, thank you for taking time out of your day to write your review. We always appreciate any and all feedback!

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our location, and found we had all necessities required for a comfortable stay. I also appreciate your feedback regarding your experience with our Front Desk staff. Valuable feedback like yours is always useful in scheduling training.

If you are ever back in the area, please feel free to contact me directly, and I will ensure you have a very comfortable and pleasant stay with us and experience the Strathcona Hotel in all of it's glory!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Beautifully decorated and clean bedroom. Excellent location in the heart of downtown (road works did not impact our experience), with only a short walk to the CN tower, harbour front and Yonge Street. Staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast buffet was lovely.

3  Thank Victoria M
Brendan C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you kindly for writing this review of our hotel. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us on your visit to Toronto. We hope to welcome you back sometime in the future!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here recently for 2 nights and booked using the tripadvisor code. The room is very small but that was expected after reading all the reviews. The bed is literally right next to the door when you walk in. The room had everything we needed for a short stay: alarm clock radio, tv, iron, a night stand table, a square ottoman that I guess can be used for extra seating, walk in mini closet that has this weird red light, a very narrow table over the air conditioner unit that had to be moved if you wanted to adjust the a/c and hair dryer. The bathroom had some shelves but they were very narrow and I wished they had more hooks. There was this empty wall next to the shower which was screaming "put some hooks on me". You got plastic cups and the soap and shampoo were in squeeze bottle containers attached to the walls. The room had california shutters and we only needed it to block out peering eyes from our neighbours. Hardly any natural light came through because all the buildings surrounding the hotel blocked out the sun. The beds were a bit soft for our taste but we were able to sleep but the walls were pretty thin and you can hear any loud neighbours.

The staff at the front desk was courteous and friendly. When we asked for extra towels, it was not a problem, however, housekeeping took them away even though I hung them up to be used again.

As others have posted, no free wifi but just walk across the street to Tim Hortons. Construction is crazy downtown right now so driving would have been a nightmare. They have this serve yourself espresso/coffee machine as soon as you walk in and alot of people who walk in think it's free and by the time they poured the coffee, they notice the price...cheaper to go to Tim Hortons.
The location is the best thing going for this place; within walking distance of many attractions and the train station. Don't know whether I would stay here again because you can get a better deal bidding on different websites.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank crazy_cat_sab
Ashok N, General Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Guest of the Hotel,

Thank you for taking the time to give a fairly detailed review of your stay at the hotel. We have made a note of your suggestions.We are also currently working on an interface to enable free wifi for all our guests. The room occupied by you (two twins) is somewhat tight but we also have larger rooms with two doubles or two queen bedded options. Sorry we could not offer you an upgrade as the hotel has been very busy. Once again we appreciate your feedback. Kind Regards

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I will start with the good... The hotel location is perfect, right in the middle of downtown.

Now the not so good. I should preface this by saying that my wife and I have stayed in some shady hotels, and we're not hard to please at all. I checked in, left our bags in the room and went out for a night on the town. When my wife and I got back, we washed up and were about to hop into bed when we noticed these weird flakes under the sheets. They looked like someone had picked a scab and left all the lovely flakey bits for us (I have some beautiful pictures of them). Absolutely disgusted, we went downstairs to inform the front desk. The man at the front desk said "I'm not regular staff, there's nothing I can do". Keep in mind this is probably around midnight, so their 'regular staff' were probably sleeping at home. I pressed the issue and the man said because we booked through Hotels.com, there was no way he could give us a refund. Finally, after me being nice about the situation, I lost it on him... He eventually gave in and offered to move us to another room. I believe his exact words were "I can move you, but that's the best I can do." I was absolutely disgusted by the service. We were tired, so we took the room and went to bed. What a terrible way to end a great night downtown.

As for the rooms, take a look at the other reviews. If you like living in a shoebox and staring at a brick wall, then boy is this the place for you! I've lived in Korea for a year, and am used to small spaces, but this was just ridiculous (especially for the price you pay). You don't get any extras either. No wifi, no breakfast, not even a mint on your pillow.

Please heed the advice of other reviewers and myself... stay away, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
19  Thank Dirtystirfry
Ashok N, General Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Guest Of The Hotel,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience and could not agree more with your disappointment. I assure you that I will investigate this very unusual incidence and take necessary corrective action immediately. Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great location right downtown, and close to Tim Horton's. Pleasant staff. Great breakfast in restaurant in lobby. VERY small room (smallest I have ever seen for a hotel) but clean. Comfy bed. Good price. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelMan1234567
Brendan C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Thank you for writing this review. We are happy to hear our great location was convenient for you. Our custom posturepedic mattresses are also a highlight of our hotel rooms. Be sure to book one of our Executive rooms or ask for an upgrade when you arrive on your next visit to Toronto as our Executive king rooms are larger and very quiet and comfortable. Thank you again.