“Good Location for Overnight Stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Strathcona Hotel

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #53 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
London, Canada
“Good Location for Overnight Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is situated close to downtown, within walking distance of Union Station, Rogers Centre, CN Tower etc. Had to pay extra for parking (underground parking lot). Hotel has been recently refurbished. Rooms were small but well appointed. Unfortunately, our stay was hampered by extremely noisy neighbours and a police visit at 3:00 a.m. but that wasn't really the hotel's fault. We did complain when we checked out and didn't receive any compensation. Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kolkata, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

The hotel is located very near the Union Station, so no complaints about the location although train stations throughout the world are not the safe places.
The Room was extremely small, barely enough to move from one position to the other, the breakfast the costliest I have seen @ $15/person/day. Bathrooms small with the thinnest of the thin towels.
On checking out they first asked me to pay $15 for a towel which according to them, "You've ruined it." I do not know how an already ruined towel can be ruined again. On asking to see what damage I have done to the towel, they bought a towel to show me the stains. I can vouch in the name of God that it was not a towel from my room and on saying that they asked me whether I smoked in the room? Being a non-smoker throughout my life, I couldn't help but laugh out. Then I knew that they were out to get my money this way or that. In fact, it was plain mugging in broad daylight. I paid the amount(BRIBE) and got away.
ONE WORD OF CAUTION TO FUTURE BOOKERS. DON'T LEAVE YOUR ROOM AT CHECK-OUT UNLESS THE HOUSEKEEPER HAS GIVEN YOU THE OK SIGN OR YOU ARE BOUND TO GET RIPPED OFF. I CAN VOUCH FOR THAT.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
19 Thank Dr_B_Maitra

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

size of room very small but clean. only drawer space was simillar to a bedside cabinet with 2 very shallow drawers, altho there was a cupboard with a hanging rail in it. my mum and I stayed here from 25th april for 4 nights. staff were polite enough, but once we had checked out, we wee waiting for our transfer to niagara, but it didnt turn up. we tried phoning the transfer company but could not get through on the pay phone, so we asked reception if they could call the number for us, offering to pay fo the call, but they refused sayin they could not phone long-distance from the hotel, even though reception had phoned the day before for us to confirm a trip. Case of once you have checkd out, pleasantries go out the window.On the plus side it was an ideal location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

In Toronto on business. Luckily only one night.

Unless you are saving a TON of money compared to other places, it's not worth staying here. There was no hot water in the morning, there was a curly hair stuck to the TV remote, the hallways smelled of old socks, the towels felt like sandpaper and the room was freezing cold (even though a/c was completely off). Staff didn't even ask how the stay was at checkout. Just handed me a bill.

Good location (except for ridiculous construction outside) and elevators are nice.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a false window (curtain hung in front of the wall). View of an alleyway...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
16 Thank EasyBusinessT
Hagersville, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Mother and I stayed here in a Twin Bed Room. Very comfortable room compact but has everything. A blow dryer in the bathroom to a Flat Screen TV on the Wall. The decor was updated very nice. And the coffee/ tea maker was a nice touch. I charged my iPhone on the docking station. Will stay again, so close to everything.

Room Tip: Will stay in aDouble bed room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brendan C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience at our hotel with others. We look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto the next time you visit our city!
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed for a few nights in April (around 15th) and arrived mid afternoon. When (four of us -adults!) we went to check in, the girl behind the desk got our room key ready, but she only got us one key and assumed that us four adults would be staying in one small double room! We had paid for two double rooms, so that was a bit annoying. When we got to the rooms, they were small but very modern and tidy. Overall cleanliness was good, and the coffee machine was an added bonus. We did find that the wifi was VERY intermittent.

Our first night was perfect, no noise, good temperature etc, but the second and third nights were a different story. A group of holiday goers had moved in across the corridor and were partying all night, shouting and banging doors, so we called reception and they sent someone up right away. This however continued until the early hours, and the reception staff seemed to take a very tame approach to dealing with them, resulting in my parents who were staying just down the corridor getting extremely fed up and leaving their belongings in their room, and demanding another room on another floor. Not good. This was part of a holiday of a life time for us, and it sort of put a grey cloud on it.

When we were getting ready to leave, my mum was waiting in the corridor for us and the maid started talking to her. The maid said 'what are you doing' and my mum said 'oh just waiting for my son', my mother went to the lobby and I overheard the maid scoffing about the fact that my mum was waiting for us - which didn't go down well! I was furious, you don't go to a hotel and expect the maid doing that. To make matters worse, it was with one of the noisy neighbours from the previous nights!

I know this is partly due to the neighbours and not the hotel, but I just feel it put a dampener on the full stay.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the front of the hotel - more natural light.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Brendan C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We will definitely review your comments with our staff to ensure they handle noisy guests in a firmer matter. We agree that this is unacceptable. I hope that despite the noise issue that you were able to enjoy your stay in our city.
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Clean, comfy....rooms small but for what we needed (in one night for Jays game) was fine. No wifi is strange these days....none even in lobby? Close to Union and to Rogers Centre. Reminded me of Europe.....everything small but practical. Would stay again....got a great price thru Booking.com. Was noisy till 11:00 pm, then nothing....so I was happy. All in all, a good time!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing this review. During your next visit to our hotel, please ask for a wifi code from one of our Guest Services Agents. Our hotel has wifi available throughout the hotel. Thank you again!