“A gem of a hotel in downtown Toronto”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #49 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Waterloo, Canada
“A gem of a hotel in downtown Toronto”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have stayed at Strathcona a number of times. Rooms are small but ultra clean and it is right in the heart of downtown Toronto. Rates are very reasonable. The only issue that i ever faced is that there is not parking but there are a number of city parking very closely. I would definitely recommend Strathcona.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brendan C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your extremely kind comments Nandi. We love hearing that our guests think our hotel is a gem and we couldn't agree with you more. You are a gem of a guest! Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Let me just say one word to sum up my 4 night stay at this hotel -- SCABIES. I am not kidding and yes it is gross! I am writing this review to warn you. I stayed at this hotel 4 nights on business. Overall I was not impressed. I had read other reviews and checked for bed bugs-I did not find any. However, by the second night I had developed a rash on my back, ankles and neck. Long and short of it is a couple weeks passed with this terribly itchy rash and I visit my doctor and told it is scabies. I am certain I got it from the bed at the Strathcona. Don't try and save money by staying here. I now have a huge headache and expense of eliminating this nasty tic from my home.

• Stayed January 2013
25 Thank Momwith3kidlets
AshokNarula, General Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Bed Bugs are not uncommon in North East USA/Canada .... our entire house-keeping team is trained to identify them. A rigorous programme exists to eliminate should a bed bug ever be carried into the hotel.

"Scabies" is very new and i have had to educate myself.

Quote Canada.com Body & Health

"Causes of Scabies
Scabies is a highly contagious condition. If you have close contact with a person infested with the scabies mite, your chances of catching it are fairly high. Crowded living conditions, close body contact (e.g., sleeping in the same bed), even holding hands for a while can easily allow the mite to spread from one person to another.
Since the scabies mite won't live away from a human body for more than a few days, direct contact is a much more likely source of transmission than clothing, bedding, or towels. The mites that cause scabies live specifically on humans - they can't be transmitted to or caught from animals, such as dogs." Unquote

I am really sorry to hear about your very unfortunate experience and at the same time i am at loss of an explanation as to how this incidence could have incurred at The Strathcona Hotel Downtown Toronto.

We do contract our laundry but the contractor enjoys a stellar reputation and has been laundrying for a long time for major downtown hotels with not one such incidence reported in the past.

The bed linen and bath linen(both used and unused) are completely removed at guest departure and replaced with fresh linen for the next guest.

Our staff takes great pride for the cleanliness standards the hotel provides to its guests as is evident form the constant feedback the hotel receives on tripadvisor.

I really wish you gave us the opportunity to investigate the rashes that you noticed on the first night of your stay.

Sincerely
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Strathcona on the night of February 17th, 2013. We were attending the Bon Jovi concert and I found the Strathcona via a WagJag deal. We took the GO in from Mississauga and avoided the huge overnight parking costs since the hotel doesn't have any private parking, Jack Astor's was right next door for dinner and after the concert we stopped at Tim's directly across the street for a coffee. For the visitor to TO this hotel is in the perfect location, you can walk to everything!! Our room was a King Executive and although small it was clean and exactly what we needed for one night. I would definately stay again at the Strathcona!

Hello Mommabear,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We hope you had a great time at the Bon Jovi concert and we are elated to hear that you loved our hotel. We look forward to accommodating you again in the future!
Colborne, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was checking out hotels in proximity to Ruth Christ Steakhouse for the evening and was not interested in the $500+ per/night at some local hotels. The Strathcona was just over $100 and surpassed my expectations. They upgraded my room from two twins to a queen when I arrived, and the service was excellent. The room was small but very clean and modern. Even the breakfast in the am was very good. No complaints from this couple. I'd return with no hesitation.

2 Thank David S
Dear Mr. Smith,

We pride ourselves on offering great service, a clean room and a wonderful breakfast at a reasonable price. Thank you for posting this review. We look forward to seeing you again someday, without hesitation!
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

For years my wife & I broke the bank at downtown Toronto hotels. Then we discovered The Strathcona, across from The Royal York's side entrance on York Street & a couple blocks from Union Station.
The rooms are small (but so were the ones we were paying 3 times as much for).
We've now stayed here several times & will continue to do so.

Dear Morstan,

Thank you for making our hotel your hotel of choice in Downtown Toronto. We will continue to meet and exceed your expectations whenever you visit our city. Thank you again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Time and again this hotel exceeds my expectations. I have stayed here several times and the staff are exemplary. The rooms are clean and serviced efficiently.
In my opinion, this is the best value for money in the entire city.
Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Good day Larrie,

Your words are sincerely appreciated. It is comments like this that continues to motivate our staff. Thank you so much.
Nova Scotia
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed there while attending a confernece at the end of January. Perfect place for anyone going to the MTCC or Union Station. Easy to get around (we walked nearly everywhere) and close to a variety of places to eat (including a Tim Horton's across the street). I found the staff to be helpful and friendly while being professional. I would stay there again but only if I had the same Executive room that I had this trip. Some coworkers of mine were in a different style room and it was so tiny I was surprised the two of them could stand it. But ours was fine. My one complaint would be about the cleanliness of the room. We found a pair of earings by the TV for instance.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a larger room if you can. The standard rooms are beyond tiny.