“Clean, good value, great location”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #55 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Thiswas my 4th stay at the Strathcona. I know exactly what to expect when I get there: a small but clean room at a great price in an even better location. This is an excellent place to stay if you're at the Toronto Convention Centre (especially if you're there for work and you need to stretch your professional development funds). I'd love to stay at the Intercontinental or the Royal York, but when I'm at a busy convention I'm really not there for the fancy room or the pool. I just need a clean, quiet, convenient place to sleep.

The Strathcona is very close to Union Station and the subway stop. Eaton Centre is within walking distance.

The breakfast buffet in the morning is good and there are lots of other dining options close by. All employees I encountered (front desk, cleaning staff, wait staff) were friendly and welcoming.

My only complaint is that I had to pay for wireless every night which drove up the cost of my room. They really need to start including it with the room to stay competitive.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Brendan C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear PJGC,

Your comments are very much appreciated. Thank you for staying at our hotel and we are happy we helped stretch your professional development fund. We will definitely discuss your suggestion about the wireless internet. We look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto from North Bay, the home of our friends from Ontario Northland!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just a block and half from Union Station, 2 blocks from MTCC. Was perfect location for easy access for my conference. Located close to many restaurants, etc.

Room was compact, as expected, but had all the amenities. Excellent room rate.

I had requested a fridge (at extra cost), but they were unable to supply. However, they were able to put my medications in a fridge downstairs and access was easy, altho a ltttle inconvenient. Acceptable solution.

Cleaning staff was very efficient. Front desk staff very helpful and friendly.
I did not try their on-site restaurant.

Room Tip: I found the street noise acceptable -- i sleep like a log -- but if you are a light sleeper ask for...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear worldtraveller,

We apologize for not being able to supply a fridge. We do have a number of fridges that we offer guests but during busy periods, it is possible that they are all being used. I will definitely suggest purchasing some extra fridges so this type of incident does not happen again. We absolutely appreciate all your wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Our last stay here was for an overnite stay before we caught the train to Ottawa. The location is so convenient and the price is right on the mark. The rooms are well appointed, the staff are very friendly and the bed is comfortable. I have to agree with previous posters though, the noise does travel through the walls. We've stayed here before when we've attended concerts and will continue to book into this hotel whenever we have an overnite in Toronto.
The wifi is not included in the price but truly when you compare the room rates to other hotels in the area, having to pay for wifi isn't a hardship at all.

Hello Kaileegirl,

Thank you so much for your comments. We look forward to your next stay at our hotel!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed @ the strathcona hotel January 17th-21st. I was looking for a hotel with a central location as the main purpose for our trip was to go to the ACC for a basketball game.

I knew in advance that the rooms were small, so I booked a room with a king size bed. We were in an end unit so we did not have an issue with noise (rm 306, I believe).

The reviews weren't kidding! They are small. But it's just what we needed, because really, who spends their entire vacation in their room? The bathroom was a good size, though.

Our king room had a small desk in it too. Which was a plus because there is basically NO storage space. They provide you with minimal hangers (the kind that you can't steal..lol) and there is NO dresser in the King Smart Room. That's my biggest complaint. My boyfriend had all of his clothes on some sort of long shelf by the bed, and I piled my clothes on the desk.

So, if you're going for a long stay, bring hangers! The closet is a decent size, and would definitely be great if there were hangers!

Did I mention to bring your own hangers??

Another bummer was that they charge for local calls. It's 2013, and I was calling places less than a km from our hotel. So use your cell phone instead.

You have to pay for wifi too. But that wasn't such a big deal, because there are a ton of coffee places around and places that offer free wifi. We weren't desperate for it. But again, 2013, give free wifi, even McDonald's does lol.

The staff was really friendly and helpful when looking for directions or how to get the shuttle for the Billy Bishop airport.

What we really enjoyed was the Strath Pub. I wish I caught the bartender's names, but they were so nice! (Don't worry, I told them on the comment card)

The rooms were very clean, the bed was comfortable. Nothing bad to say.

We were there for the Habs & Leafs game, and the atmosphere was awesome. Not too busy, we got great seats, lots of TV's, and they were willing to change the stations and the main speakers to the Hockey game. We had apps, mains, dessert and jugs of beer. Everything was delicious. It was a small menu, but great choices and the prices are reasonable. The service is so friendly, especially for two habs fans in toronto lol.

It was about a 5 minute walk from the Air Canada centre, and a 5 minute walk to the subway, cora's restaurants, the hockey hall of fame! Everything is so central.

The price was reasonable, and I can see us staying here again. Maybe we'll get a suite next time though.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you can afford it. :)
1  Thank Linds_And_Andrew

Dear Linds_And_Andrew,

Thank you for writing this review of our hotel. When you return to Toronto, please book our Executive Suite. You will not be disappointed. I believe you will be the first Montreal Canadiens' fans to stay in it too! Thank you again. We look forward to accommodating you in Toronto again soon!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I tried this hotel out when my husband and I had a one day layover in Toronto. We had booked online via the hotel's website for a king size room. The rate I received for the room was excellent and way cheaper than any other hotels in the down town Toronto area.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by professional and friendly front desk staff that assisted us with restaurant recommendations in the area and arranged for our transportation to the airport the next morning.

The room was very small but it had the comforts that were required. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was clean. Personally I feel that's all that was required for our short stay.

There is a cafe located on site that has a very economical breakfast and lunch menu. We never tried it but probably would if we stayed more than one night.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who can forego space and just wants a place to comfortably sleep. The location for the price makes up for any space you may want.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brendan C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for your kind words! Not only did you write a wonderful review, you also come from a wonderful province - Newfoundland! We are happy that we were able to make you trip from St. John's to Toronto comfortable and enjoyable. We hope to see you again in Toronto in the near future!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had a very good experience with this hotel. I have stayed at several hotels in downtown Toronto and this was by far my favorite, even compared to hotels i paid much more for. The location was perfect; close to CN tower, in the heart of downtown. I arrived 2 hours prior to check-in time and not only did they check me in immediately, they upgraded me to a better room at no charge. The size of the room was perfect since i was travelling alone (although would be small for 2). The reception staff were polite. There is a free shuttle to/from the billy bishop airport which stops a 2 minute walk from the hotel. The only negatives i can think of were that there was a charge for the wifi (although it wasn't very much $7 per day or $10 for 2 days) and minifridge ($10 per day). Also i couldn't quite figure out how to turn off the heating/AC system in my room so i had to keep alternating between warm and cold air, and the wifi (which i paid for) was quite slow at times. But otherwise, this hotel was really great. I will stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Claire,

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are flattered that we are your favourite hotel. You are now one of our favourite guests! We always do our best to check in our guests who arrive early. We know how convenient it can be after a long day of travelling. When you return to our hotel please make sure you ask our staff to have someone show you how to operate the heating/AC unit. We have also upgraded our wifi in the last couple of weeks so there will not be problems with slow wireless internet. We look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto in the near future!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Pros: Great location (right across the Union Station), the staff was very friendly, the room I stayed in had a king-size bed; it was a little small but very nicely decorated (bright colors, hardwood floors), and the room was very very clean. For its value, this hotel is a good choice to stay in downtown Toronto.

Cons: The walls separating the rooms were thin; hence, a little noisy. The Wi-Fi internet is not free.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ihsan,

Thank you very much for you review. We are happy to hear that our great location and proximity to Union Station was convenient for you. We have Smart rooms with a king-sized bed and Executive rooms with a king-sized bed. The Executive rooms are larger so please ask for an upgrade the next time you visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto!