“Great location, Nice Suites, Confusing Breakfast”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown
Ranked #35 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I was very pleased with the location of the hotel and attentiveness of the management. It is very close to Eaton Centre and walkable distance to the downtown core (Yorkville/Financial District). I stayed in one of the suites which was spacious, nicely adorned, with a modern interior and small kitchenette. The rooms have been renovated, the lobby however and other facilities can look a bit tired. You can get to the hotel very easily with the airporter which does the pickup/drop off right opposite the hotel at the U of Toronto Hotel.

I was very confused about the breakfast. I received permission to eat the COLD items in the breakfast but was told that it would be an additional $6 to eat the HOT items. This was kind of ridiculous as all of the items were offered in the buffet and if I wanted eggs or oatmeal this was not permitted in my breakfast rights. It just seemed like a very nickel and dime strategy which frankly offended me. As a Hilton Honors member I was granted free breakfast but not a full breakfast, this left me understandably confused.

Overall, management did a great job and there were some building issues as they completed renovations and had their routine fire safety tests, but I was very pleased with the stay. The beds were wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear SinbadSam

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of our hotel and sharing your feedback with us. I am so glad that you liked our rooms and our location, every guest room in the hotel has now been completely renovated and we are hearing great things about our rooms from our guest. I am sorry that you found our breakfast confusing. The vouchers that you were given do cover the continental buffet which of course is all the cereals, fruits, yogurts pastries, basically it is all the cold items and all the pastries. We do offer our guests that have those vouchers an upgrade option to have the full Fresh Start buffet. We will most certainly look into our process of explaining this to our guests so hopefully they do not find it confusing as well. We thank you so much for staying with us and I hope we can welcome you back as our guest in the future.

Umesh Srivastava CHA

Write a ReviewReviews (2,120)

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Our overnight stay was OK. The self-parking garage is a bit tough to maneuver through, so it you have a larger type of car, you would probably be better off parking in the outdoor lot next door. The chocolate chip cookies didn't taste quite like what I'm use to in the states - there seemed to be a different ingredient and they were overcooked and hard.

Tried ordering room service for dinner and when I called, there was a recording asking to leave my name and someone would get back to me shortly. After 15 minutes, I called the front desk and was told that's how there room service works. I said that wasn't acceptable and I wanted to place my order as we had theatre reservations. Finally spoke with someone - there was no apology. Food arrived about 25 minutes later and it was OK.

In the morning went downstairs to get some coffee and there was no coffee bar like the DoubleTrees have in the states with complimentary coffee. Had to ask for it in the restaurant and then there was a charge. I didn't not like this - found it very very non-guest friendly.

When we check out we asked for directions to a restaurant we wanted to go to for breakfast. We were given the easy directions but there was no mention of a very large marathon that was taking place in they city that made is basically impossible to get where we wanted to go. Had we been told about the marathon, we would have made different plans - instead we got stuck in traffic for over a half-hour.

I realize these a small, almost petty comments, but they are just things that made our overnight stay just OK and not great. Would consider staying here again - maybe.

2  Thank Typhoon925
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Dear Typhoon925

Thank you so much for posting your review of our hotel and it certainly seems that you did not catch us at our best. I am not happy at all with the way that you were informed that our room service works and the front desk should have immediately contacted the restaurant manager to take your order from you and not cause you anymore inconvenience, I will speak with my team so that we do not inconvenience another guest the way we inconvenienced you. We need to do a better job some days of informing our guests when there are events going on in the city because they can can a real problem with getting around, especially when roads are closed. You mentioned that your comments were petty but I find them extremely helpful so that we can learn by our mistakes and always try and improve so believe me when I say, I sincerely appreciate good and bad feedback. I hope you give us another chance and let us show you what a truely amazing hotel we have here.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

The hotel is very centrally located, close to hospitals, shopping and restaurants. The rooms are very nicely appointed, a little small but kind of cosy, with lovely beds, great pillows, and a very clean modern bathroom. The warm cookie on arrival was delicious! Would definitely return.

1  Thank Katherine J

Dear Katherine J

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this excellent review of our hotel and I am so happy that we met and hopefully exceeded your expectations. Thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Stayed one night at this hotel. Overall is OK. Small but clean room/bathroom. Free internet. Free breakfast. Breakfast is limited to: yogurt, fruit salad, pastries (not really fresh ones), coffee and juice. For an extra $6 you can have a scrambled eggs and a bacon. Two negatives: 1. Air conditioner is noisy. Since the room is pretty small (even it was an HHonors upgrade) it's hard to sleep at night. 2. The staff: The reception staff should be more proactive. In the last day of our stay we were walking by a reception and I slipped on a huge puddle of some liquid right in front of it. Almost fell. And another guy who was following me experienced the same. There were three receptionists behind the desk and none of them bothered to put something restricting or warning around the puddle. I had to take a stand with some advertisement and move it over the puddle. Only after that one of the receptionists bothered to call a custodian! Parking underneath of the hotel is tricky: six stories spiraling down on the narrow path, and if somebody coming out you should wait - if you noticed it in advance - or you should back up to let the other car pass by.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Service was excellent, including special touches like warm cookies upon arrival (and every time we walked past the reception!). Room was on the small side, pool was tired and room cleaning left a bit to be desired, but location was excellent and, all in all, the stay was fine.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We stayed 2 nights for medical visits to TGH. We WE have stayed here a few times and find it has conveinient parking, is very quiet, nice rooms, comfortable beds, very clean, friendly staff, a safe walk to Toronto General Hospital,and awesome cookies!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear anb101

Thank you for taking the time share your review of our hotel and I am so happy that everything suited your needs perfectly. Our location is the best out of all the hotels because we are so centrally located to so many attractions not to mention 3 of the best hospitals in the world. We hope everything goes well with your hospital visits and anything we can do to make your stays easier for you then please do not hesitate to contact us. Wishing you all good thoughts from everyone here.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Location is definitely the strong point here. Ideal for the tourist to toronto. Rooms ok, with very high beds that make it akward to climb onto. Do not get room 1401 in front of ice machine. Bathroom ok but ventilation and air con extremely noisy.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Stefano A

Dear Stefano A

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. I thank you for mentioning the noisy AC and we will now have our engineering team investigate why it was so noisy for you. We appreciate the business and look forward to have you return as our guest.