“Good for a business stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown
Ranked #35 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed at the Hilton with my boyfriend for a business trip recently. The service was okay, I guess. Check in had a mix up and they tried to reject my credit card (all was fine, they just mixed it up) but the cookies made up for it. The concierge desk didn't seem to speak English and was rather rude. Room service was great, however, and the food was passable. It being in downtown Toronto, though, I highly recommend just going out on the street for much better and cheaper food.

The room itself is small, but our trip was business not leisure, so it wasn't a problem. The bed is very comfortable, the wake up service helpful, and the closet was terrific. I could hang my suits up without them wrinkling.

The bathroom was okay, the tub was grimy when I tried to draw a bath for my sore feet. There was no hand soap provided.

What really bothered me was the noise (I asked for a quiet room given a very important early morning interview, but was given a room right under construction and facing a loud street), and the smell of marijuana and hashish. I don't know what hotel policies are on recreational smoking but I found it unbelievable that teenagers were just sitting around the hotel smoking hashish and swapping what looked like marijuana in the lobby while hotel staff completely ignored it.

The location was great, very central to Toronto and in the financial district. The hotel pool was okay, heated was nice, but no towels like they promised and very shallow.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear SisiGee

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us and please let me respond to several of your points. I am glad that everything was fixed for you at check in and that you enjoyed the cookie, all hotels authorize credit cards at time of check in and sometimes there are issues with the processing companies but it was great that this was starightened out for you. We do everything we can to keep any noise from our refreshing project to an absolute minimum and always try and locate our guests away from the any noise but since we are a very busy hotel and in sold out situations that unfortunately sometimes guests are near the noise and I am truely sorry that it disturbed you. I can guarantee that if any of my staff witnessed any type of illegal activity that they would bring it to a managers attention and we would deal with an issue such as that right away. One of our main priorities is our guests safety and comfort and when they come to our hotel we want nothing more for them to feel at home and I can assure you that if any of my staff saw guests passing drugs, then something would have been done about that. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will return as our guest again.

Umesh Srivastava CHA

Write a ReviewReviews (2,095)

Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was an ideal hotel to stay in while in Toronto for a conference. The location was great - easy to get to shopping, restaurants, the subway, or to hail a cab. My room was small, but extremely well appointed - very fresh and modern with great windows. The bed and linens were very comfortable - always important when on business travel. I had breakfast in the hotel and used the Fitness Centre daily. The lobby was never too crowded or noisy. When I returned each day from my confernence (which was crowded and noisy) it was so relaxing.

Dear Barbara G

Thank you so much for the amazing review and we are so happy that our hotel fit all of your needs and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look very forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the future.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

This hotel has undergone a rebirth. Very nice modern rooms in great location. Near Toronto City Hall and major medical research areas. Staff very friendly on entry and exit. No problems encountered! Highly recommend it for conference nearby.

Dear Jerry J

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us and i am so happy that you enjoyed your stay here. Our location is really fantastic because we are so close to shopping, theatre, The Rogers Centre and so much more. We hope to see you again soon as our guest and thank you so much for the kind words.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

My stay at this hotel was very pleasant. The staff were very friendly. My room looked pretty new. I loved my view to the downtown core. The hotel is conveniently located. Lai Wah Heen is excellent, would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Emma A

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel and I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully the next time you are staying here you will have a chance to visit our other award winning restaurant called Hemispheres. Its great that our hotel is so centrally located to so many attractions here in Downtown Toronto and yes we do have some spectacular views of our cities skyline. Thank you so much for staying with us and hopefully we see you soon.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Beware! Make sure you ask if your room has a real bed. The room I was given only had a pull out sofa bed that was extremely uncomfortable. The room did not have anywhere to hang clothes. No closet! Hotel manager was not very friendly or accommodating. Lots of other hotels to choose from that are very close. Forget this one.

4  Thank Bob S

Dear Bob S

I would like to thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that your stay was not what you were expecting. Unfortunately as we continue to refresh everyone of our guests rooms there are still areas that have not been completed and it is not what the guest may have been expecting from a DoubleTree hotel. We are continuing to finish the rooms and have increased our labor force to get them done even quicker. Sometimes we may not see from a guests eyes and when you help us out by bringing things to our attention it can ensure that other guests do not have similar experiences. Within the next several weeks we will finish all of our rooms and every room will meet our guests expectations.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I had a room on a higher floor , it was very comfortable ,and functional . Free internet, nice desk and an amazing bed. The TV was new with HD channels . The bathroom was bright and clean .

Staff were friendly and helpful. Great location for business and leisure. It is a quiet street off University/ Dundas right behind Nathan Phillips Square. The hotel restaurant was great for breakfast and there are plenty of good restaurant choices in the area.

I used the pool / Precor equipped fitness centre . Enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor
2  Thank Michael B
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Michael B

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us about your recent stay. I am so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and the way that our wonderful staff treated you. I have shared your comments with my team and we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the future.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Renovations audible but not overly disruptive. Internet was a bit flaky. Otherwise clean, good service, friendly. Had a renovated room which was small but nice. Very convenient location. Now I am writing random stuff so I have enough characters to post this.

2  Thank Rachel S
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Rachel S

Thank you so much for sharing your review of our hotel and I am happy that you seemed to enjoy everything. We are constantly trying to enhance our internet here in the hotel so that we can ensure our guests have an uninterupted internet experience each time and so many times the issues come from the providers themselves. I am most happy that you found our associates friendly and provided you with good service. We look very forward to having you back as our guest in the future.