“This hotel has some potential...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown
Ranked #35 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel just got rebranded to Doubletree and is about half way through extensive upgrades to meet Doubletree standards and significantly modernize the place. This is a place with some good potential, but there is still room for improvement. My take is that they opened up as a Doubletree during the low season so that they can work out the final details and be fully ready for the busier spring/summer season. Details below

What I liked: I was assigned one of the renovated rooms which looked fairly modern and was fairly functional. Very comfortable bed and noise was not a significant issue (the room a/c unit appeared to have been upgraded and that was manageable). WIFI is complimentary for Diamond members and worked fine throughout the stay, although speed was a bit slow. Complimentary breakfast is also provided to Diamond members. The standard offer is a continental buffet breakfast, which was not available during my stay (so I was allowed to apply the value of the voucher toward other breakfast items). Food quality and taste in the restaurant (for breakfast) was above average. Staff is very friendly throughout the hotel. This was the first Doubletree that I have ever been to that actually asked whether I was allergic to nuts prior to handing me the famous DTree cookie. As I am allergic to nuts, they offered an alternative:
(apples). Again, this was the first time that this was offered to me as an option at a Doubletree. Location is excellent is you are looking for shopping (Eaton Centre), need to be in the Hospital area (close to University avenue), behind City Hall and fairly close to Bay Street. Plenty of dining options nearby, especially if you enjoy Asian food. The gym has been redone and features brand new Procor equipment (mainly treadmills, ellipticals and stationary bikes)

What to watch for / could be improved: The rooms are extremely small at this property, and given the price paid, not necessarily the best value. Everything was renovated in the room but rather than put in a stand-in shower which would have saved some room, they seem to have kept the original bathtubs, which they have re-polised / repainted (everything else in the bathroom had been redone). As the renovations are work in progress, there were some paint stains in the room, especially in the bathroom. Many of the common areas had not been fully redone so it does not give the best impression of the hotel.

All in: This is a place with some potential but given overall room size, I'd be more inclined to stay at one of the two Hilton Garden Inns if price is the same.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at the hotel.Feedback is an essential component to our continuous improvement approach towards increasing guest satisfaction and hospitality levels.

We really value your comments and more so, as you are a loyal Hilton Diamond member. I am so happy to know that you had a great stay with us , where" the small things mean everything ."

Your feedback about our bath tub has been sent to the Planning team and they are working on it.

Thank you also for your comments about the location. We are in close proximity of major hospitals and Government offices, Eaton shopping Centre is two blocks away and are just behind the City Hall.

We have also recently added the Hilton Honors Floors at our hotel.

Look forwarding to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you once again for your business.

Yours in hospitality,

E Mail umesh.srivastava@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,056)

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Fire alarm rang for an hour straight; toilet in my first room was in disrepair and continually flushed itself; heater in my second room was in disrepair and rattled loudly; hotel staff refused to comp the night of the fire alarm, when I had to relocate to another hotel to sleep before a business meeting. I doubt this is a typical stay and the location and price are decent enough to not overlook it if you don't have better options.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

They done a great job at rebranding, staff really helpful and friendly. the free cookie alone is a great check in park. I will totally stay here next time i m in town. every central location close to the eaton centre.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I thought that the hotel was incredibly clean and so charming!! The hotel staff was so patient and helpful with me and all of my questions. However, I was kind of disappointed that I had to pay for EVERYTHING. It seemed like nothing was complementary (except the awesome and warm cookie I got at check-in!). This was my first time staying in a large city, so maybe my overall opinion about the prices will change the more I stay in the city.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2014

First room was too cold and wireless internet was not working (12C$/night!). Moved to another room 2nd night. Fire-alarm went of throughout the night.The heating in the room (A/C) was blowing towards the bed and makes a lot of noise. Rooms are small for North American standards. The 12$/night internet is terrible value for money. It's slow and disconnects all the time. The lobby entrance is dirty. Elevators are very slow. The TV reception is very bad for most channels.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your comments and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience regarding the guestroom conditions.

The maintenance team is working diligently on the Internet and Alarm and heating issues at the hotel and I am happy to share that those have been resolved now.

As we renovate our offerings we strive to provide the quality modern accommodations our guests expect and deserve. We will keep your comments on value and amenities in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience, and hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town to let us know how we are doing.

E Mail: umesh.srivastava@hilton.com

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed here last weekend- great staff- great service- highly recommend this property when in the downtown area....The TV was malfunctioning and they moved me to a new room immediately. Great warm cookie upon arrival---Thanks!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to know that you had a terrific stay with us.

Your feedback is very encouraging for me and my team. Thank you for taking the time to wirite the comments.

The TV issue signal has since been resolved as we are very committed to act on guest feedback to ensure a great guest experience each and every time they stay with us.

I am glad you enjoyed our Signature DoubleTree cookie which is how we welcome guests in all DoubleTrees across the world..

Thank you once again for your business and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours in hospitality,

Email : umesh.srivastava@hilton.com

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Horrible staff and hotel. After two false alarms one at 11pm and one at 5am, the room i was staying in felt like they were chainsawing above my room. I called downstairs twice and they kept saying they would let them know but they never stopped. Amazing. Plus when i went to checkout they just shrugged their shoulders. I do not recommend this and surprised this is a doubletree. Paid $170 for a sleepless night.

2  Thank Subhadeep