“Great room and experience”

Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites
Ranked #73 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I've read numerous reviews about how bad this place is and had to add my own thoughts. I was pretty nervous going to the Don Valley Hotel after reading the reviews but was committed after signing up for a WagJag Jaunt for this hotel and the zoo. Parking was included.

My husband, kids (3 and 6), and I were impressed. The staff were friendly and helpful. We upgraded our room easily to a newly renovated room for $30 and were happy with the cleanliness and look of the new rooms. I hear if you book directly through the hotel, you get the renovated room so I may try that next time. We asked for a quieter room with a balcony and got one that backed on to the ravine and indoor pool. I think that would be my only complaint - the indoor pool was being serviced so it wasn't open but the outdoor pool was and that worked for us. I can't comment on the room service or restaurant as we didn't use it. At night, we sat on the balcony having a drink, looking at the beautiful ravine and indoor pool while the kids slept. Pretty nice. Checking in and checking out was easy. The experience was painless and we would go back ... In fact, we are thinking about it in the winter to visit the Science Centre. The only other issue, and this is personal preference only, going from a king size bed to a double was difficult - makes for a squishy sleep when you aren't used to it and this was the only option when you had kids with you. Anyhow, I am thinking management has changed here and they are undergoing a real image revamp as this hotel is one I would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews on here.. I wasn't entirely looking forward to my stay. I saw booked here for work.
I am pleased to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. Rooms were clean and modern. Staff were helpful and friendly. Right to the domestic staff. And the food was delicious. I actually can't think of anything bad to say at all. And that's rare lol.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank dedkandi
Reviewed August 4, 2013

During my stay, most of the staff was incredibly rude to our group. While that was an awful experience, the worst came when my shoes vanished shortly before check-out, and rather than offer any assistance, I was instead told to leave the hotel as it was a health and safety hazard with no options on what to do to rectify the situation. Needless to say, I was not pleased

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank TheDuckfish
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here for two nights while having a family weekend in the city. Got the Zoo package for one night at $179 (includes 4 tickets & parking), second night $149. If you book the package directly with the hotel you get the renovated rooms, whereas the Jaunt package was the non-renovated rooms.
We were pleasantly surprised by how nice the hotel, rooms and surrounding area were. Stayed in room 228 which was on the back side of the hotel overlooking the indoor pool and ravine. Nice balcony with trees all around, very private. Nice, clean, renovated room. Only complaints were that the balcony door was very hard to open, and one of the beds was a bit uncomfortable. Front desk staff very nice and friendly. Beautiful indoor and outdoor pools, both heated very warm. Hotel seemed to be at capacity but pools were not overly busy. Didn't eat at the restaurant/café but it looked nice.
Great location, 10 minute drive to Yonge Street with tons of restaurants. Hotel is 2 minutes from the Ontario Science Centre. Took 20 minutes to get to the ROM, 30 minutes to Zoo. Perfect location for sightseeing. Very nice neighbourhood. Really, an oasis in the city! Looking forward to coming back again soon!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on the north side overlooking the ravine!
1  Thank hipfanatic
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel had some really nice features but there were some major drawbacks I didn't like. The deal was a good value for what we received. 2 adult and 2 child tickets to Toronto Zoo and two king size beds. That being said though most things that are free at other hotels were added costs at the Don Valley Hotel. The room did not come with a fridge.... a $20 charge and if you want a microwave again it is $25.00 I believe. They don't appear to have suites inclusive of a kitchen. We wanted a cot again another $20 charge. And of course there is a charge for parking. Fortunately for us that was included in our deal. The best feature was the pools. Indoor and outdoor. Open until 11 pm. They do allow for a very late checkout without added fees. I can't see us going back to this hotel. The staff were lovely but just too many unexpected charges.

Room Tip: Not sure I have a good tip. Since most things are charges there really is no good room to start wit...
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel as it is just down the road from a realtive's condo. Bear in mind that this hotel is far from downtown. It is in Don MiIlls, just off the Don Valley Parkway. It is surrounded by condos. There are not many amenities within walking distance - just a very small plaza with a bank, dry cleaner, drug store and Tim Horton's. You definitely need a car if you stay here. Our check in by Omesh was fast, friendly and efficient. Our room, #564, was at the end of the hallway, lovely and quiet. I had requested an unrenovated room, our room did not seem old, except perhaps, for the bathtub. Otherwise it was spotlessly clean. Beds were comfortable. We had the buffet breakfast in the morning (extra charge of $15 pp) which was much better than expected. Good coffee, large variety of hot and cold items including smoked salmon and blue cheese. I have only 2 beefs with this hotel: 1) the air conditioning/fan unit is noisy, even if you turn off the air conditioning and 2) why in the world do guests have to pay $11.95 + HSt to park? Considering the location of this hotel, I really can't imagine anybody arriving by public transit or even a taxi from the airport or union station. I'm sure 100% of the guests arrive by car. Parking should be included in the price of the room. However, I was generally very pleased with our stay and would book this hotel again if I am visiting Don Mills.

2  Thank Weswee
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were recommended this hotel after a jaunt by friends. The rooms are nice but the additional costs for a cot when our double room was unavailable was disappointing. the crib they offered was not appropriate for an infant and there was insufficient parking for all guests.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family